VCDS-Mobile iOS App Update?

jocamero

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=133121
While I realize the VCDS-Mobile app is basically just a way to find the IP address of the HEX-NET interface, an update is long overdue. What are the plans to update the app given it won't work with newer versions of iOS? See screenshot below. Currently I just use the IP address found and open the interface in Safari which is much faster, but there is still a lot to be desired. I would be thrilled to see a 'dashboard' where I can see realtime data logging (e.g. boost, rpm, temp, etc.) instead of having to tap multiple times to get to the advanced measuring blocks section or the clunky graphs / gauges pages. The UI can be dramatically improved in my opinion. I've used VCDS for almost 15 years but I think a barrier to entry for some newer folks is the difficulty of using the VCDS software. I know some people just want to 'roll my windows down with my key fob'. The UI should be so much simpler for some common tasks. Or at least have the ability to create shortcuts to some common views and tasks. /rant over/

RkqVnow.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think we have one person left in the entire company who still uses iOS. As of what version is the existing app not compatible?

-Uwe-

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
So no chance on getting a full fletched iOS VCDS app (like the Windows version). That's a pity.

However the message started appearing in iOS 10 and the new one (seen in the screenshot above) is new in iOS 10.3. It can however easily be fixed by recompiling the application with current XCode and targeting 64-bit devices.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Widely expected that IOS 11 will drop support for 32bit apps.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/...g-out-apfs-the-settings-app-and-other-tweaks/

See the section:

The impending end of 32-bit iOS

We've been tracking this one for a while now, but iOS 10.3 is ramping up the warnings about old, unmaintained (read: 32-bit) apps that may not work in future versions of the software (read: probably iOS 11, which is also likely to drop support for the last of the 32-bit iOS hardware).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So no chance on getting a full fletched iOS VCDS app (like the Windows version). That's a pity.
Also a pity that we don't have "full-fledged" applications for Android, or Mac OS, or Linux, or whatever a particular person's computing platform of choice happens to be. Bottom line: We decided a long time ago (when Windows CE or Palm OS were somewhat common requests) that supporting the boutique platform of the day is not economically sensible. If we developed "full fledged" applications for any of those, that work would now be a complete waste. That's why VCDS-Mobile is platform independent and requires nothing more than a modern browser.

However the message started appearing in iOS 10 and the new one (seen in the screenshot above) is new in iOS 10.3. It can however easily be fixed by recompiling the application with current XCode and targeting 64-bit devices.
OK, I'll see what we can do about getting it updated.

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Ah, Mac OS, iOS, and Android are HARDLY "boutique platforms of the day". :D

Now, when will there be an app for Newton OS? My Message Pad 2100 wants to know. ;)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ah, Mac OS, iOS, and Android are HARDLY "boutique platforms of the day". :D
You might be correct about Android in the mobile space. Time will tell. But as for Apple's stuff, IMO it absolutely is "boutique".

Market share in the current quarter:
Real computers: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0&qptimeframe=Q
Mobile devices: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1&qptimeframe=Q

-Uwe-

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
I started out a hardcore pro-android, anti-apple guy, but slowly I have become more pro-apple.

Primarily due to the major android hardware 'partners' lack of consistent and long-term updates.

I also got burned on several google nexus devices which were dropped from support/updates.

While I'm sure it is soon to end, apple still supports as far back as iphone 5, and we don't have to wait for carrier permission to update.

Further an unlocked iphone (5+ and newer I believe) can work on pretty much any domestic carrier, whereas android devices are typically more limited even if/when they are 'unlockable'.

And the bottom line is, iphones hold their resale value much better than androids. You can't hardly give away a used android.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Further an unlocked iphone (5+ and newer I believe) can work on pretty much any domestic carrier, whereas android devices are typically more limited even if/when they are 'unlockable'.
I'll give Apple credit for inventing the modern smart phone. But I dumped Apple for phones back when they were still insisting that 3.5" was the only "right" size for a phone screen, while Dell had the 5.0" Streak and soon after, Samsung introduced the 5.3" original Note.

I have an unlocked Motorola Android phone (XT1575). It works on any US carrier, has no carrier bloatware, and gets updates directly from Motorola. It only cost $400, and I can install whatever software I want on it, without anyone else's permission. Oh, and I'm free of iTunes -- if I want to put music or videos on the phone, all I have to do is copy them to the phone. :cool:

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Oh yeah the openness of android is unmatched, I loved that.

I used to be all about the rom of the week and loading my phone up with audio/videos etc.

My dad still has his dell streak, in uses as an alarm clock heh. My note 2 was probably most favorite phone, incredible screen and battery life, especially for android at the time.

Now I just use google play music (works great on iphone! lol) along with plex, and netflix etc for anything I don't already have.

I haven't used itunes for years and haven't loaded any media for even longer.

I know that google is working to increase security for the android ecosystem, but that is another thing that separates them from apple... I know if my phone is lost or stolen, or even if the government gets hold of it, they are going to have an extremely difficult time trying to get anything out of it.

And that is not that I have anything to hide, my life is completely boring, it is just the simple fact that it's no one else's business.

Anyway, I still use android every day mostly on my nexus 9 and htc one, and nexus 5. And that reminds me I got a stack of nexus 7 that are dead or dieing that I should probably go back and wipe the data on.

jocamero

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=133121
I understand wanting to save money by coding for only one platform, but the primary reason I upgraded to the HEX-NET was because it supported iOS and macOS, albeit via a browser. Honestly, I'd prefer not to have to run VCDS on Windows via VMWare. Current estimates of iOS usage are over 1 billion devices. Billion. I'd hardly call that boutique. Either way, at least one of your paying customers uses these 'boutique' platforms.

That being said, I'm fine if the iOS app gets dropped if some improvements come to the browser based version of VCDS. (see my original suggestions)

Reactions: Uwe

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
I understand wanting to save money by coding for only one platform, but the primary reason I upgraded to the HEX-NET was because it supported iOS and macOS, albeit via a browser. Honestly, I'd prefer not to have to run VCDS on Windows via VMWare. Current estimates of iOS usage are over 1 billion devices. Billion. I'd hardly call that boutique. Either way, at least one of your paying customers uses these 'boutique' platforms.

That being said, I'm fine if the iOS app gets dropped if some improvements come to the browser based version of VCDS. (see my original suggestions)

A lot of their customers are Mac OS & iOS users. If those are considered "boutique" products due to their market share, what does that say for VW TDI owners? VW has a less of a market share in automobiles (under 2%) than Mac & iOS has in their markets. Since TDIs are an extremely small percentage of VWs sold in the North American market, they are a "boutique" model of an overall "boutique" manufacturer here. To take things to extremes even FEWER owners buy Ross-Tech products so they are basically a "boutique" company! Interesting that a company that is "boutique" and is dependent on the products of another "boutique" company, derides MacOS & iOS as "boutique".

That said, however, it is just these small "boutique" companies like Ross-Tech that I think are doing the "American Dream" They identify a small unserved market and develop their products to fill that market. So as one user of several "boutique" products, I'm just as glad the "boutique" Ross-Tech exists as I am that the small "boutique" company called "Apple" exists.

Back