To W8, or not to W8 - or WWJD?

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
So I have an old 2001 Passat, V6 with 4motion that I bought for super cheep last year. The engine still seems to run strong, however there are major (auto) transmissions issues (moving and shifting gears) that I need to get fixed/replaced, it has 190k+ miles, it also needs a water pump and/or related coolant repairs (and no doubt timing belts) and is generally an all-around beater condition of a nearly loaded and once beautiful car.

On the other hand, there is a 2003 W8 Passat 4motion (auto/sedan) around, in a beautiful blue, with under 50k miles and what looks/seems like excellent condition, that I could pick up for ~6k $.

I figure it's probably possible to fix/rebuild/restore my current v6/4mo for less than the 6k, but of course it still wouldn't be a blue W8.

I understand that no matter the condition of the w8, its potentially going to need a fairly high degree and/or expensive level of maintenance as time goes on.

The rational part of me says keep my cash in the bank and spend the minimum necessary to keep my beater going for as long as I want to keep it around or as far as it will continue to run.

The other part of me says, W8 where are you? :confused: :facepalm: :banghead: :popcorn:

If it was a W8/manual, I would probably already have bought it.

What would Jesus do?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
To W8, or not to W8 - or WWJD?
So I have an old 2001 Passat, V6 with 4motion that I bought for super cheep last year. The engine still seems to run strong, however there are major (auto) transmissions issues (moving and shifting gears) that I need to get fixed/replaced, it has 190k+ miles, it also needs a water pump and/or related coolant repairs (and no doubt timing belts) and is generally an all-around beater condition of a nearly loaded and once beautiful car.

On the other hand, there is a 2003 W8 Passat 4motion (auto/sedan) around, in a beautiful blue, with under 50k miles and what looks/seems like excellent condition, that I could pick up for ~6k $.

I figure it's probably possible to fix/rebuild/restore my current v6/4mo for less than the 6k, but of course it still wouldn't be a blue W8.

I understand that no matter the condition of the w8, its potentially going to need a fairly high degree and/or expensive level of maintenance as time goes on.

The rational part of me says keep my cash in the bank and spend the minimum necessary to keep my beater going for as long as I want to keep it around or as far as it will continue to run.

The other part of me says, W8 where are you?
confused.png
facepalm.gif
banghead.gif
popcorn.gif

If it was a W8/manual, I would probably already have bought it.

What would Jesus do?​

When you buy and believe in the W8 "Engine Jesus".........I can tell ya, you are going to meet him in "Engine Heaven"!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
WWJD? Wait for a manual W8. Or perhaps stalk a B7 RS4. :D

Back