Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't Connect to Hex Net with Laptop

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't Connect to Hex Net with Laptop

I can connect to Hex Net with the USB cable, tablet, and phone. If i try to connect wirelessly with my laptop i cant. It doesnt see the interface and wont recognize any wifi networks. I also cant update the Hex Net, it either gives me an error code -2 or an error code -8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What kind of laptop? What version of Windows are you using?

If your laptop doesn't see any WiFi networks, I'd have to suggest you need help either from your laptop's manufacturer or from Microsoft.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    What kind of laptop? What version of Windows are you using?

If your laptop doesn't see any WiFi networks, I'd have to suggest you need help either from your laptop's manufacturer or from Microsoft.

-Uwe-
    Dell Latitude running Windows 10, if im plugged in with the USB cable it will see the wireless networks in the VCDS configurator. If i unplug it and try to configure it through NET it wont show the wireless networks. Just says scanning. Both Hex Net and the laptop are connected to the same network. I dont have any issues using my tablet or phone wirelessly, just my laptop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuwandam View Post
    Dell Latitude running Windows 10, if im plugged in with the USB cable it will see the wireless networks in the VCDS configurator.
    That's the HEX-NET seeing those networks and reporting what it sees to the Utility via USB.

If i unplug it and try to configure it through NET it wont show the wireless networks. Just says scanning. Both Hex Net and the laptop are connected to the same network.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Can you explain exactly what you're doing in this case? I believe the only practical way to configure WiFi on the HEX-NET while you're talking to it via WiFi is with the HEX-NET in AP mode. It shouldn't be connected to some other network.

I dont have any issues using my tablet or phone wirelessly, just my laptop.
    What firewall are using on your Laptop? The Windows one or a 3rd-party one?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    If i unplug it and try to configure it through NET it wont show the wireless networks. Just says scanning.
    To clarify, the setup for connecting VCDS to the HEX-NET via wifi using a wifi router typically has two steps.

Step 1. Using VCIConfig and the interface plugged in over usb, scan for wifi networks and select the one you wish to use. Enter the password.
    The middle led on the HEX-NET should now be green and if you click "refresh interface list" you should see an IP address in the main screen of VCI-Config.

Step 2. Close VCIConfig. With your computer connected to the network you selected in step 1, go to VCDS, select "Net" on the options page and then "Test"

Are you trying both of the steps above? If so, can you clarify which step you are having an issue with?

--Shaun

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    That's the HEX-NET seeing those networks and reporting what it sees to the Utility via USB.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Can you explain exactly what you're doing in this case? I believe the only practical way to configure WiFi on the HEX-NET while you're talking to it via WiFi is with the HEX-NET in AP mode. It shouldn't be connected to some other network.

What firewall are using on your Laptop? The Windows one or a 3rd-party one?

-Uwe-
    If i change my port selection from USB to NET and then try to configure it, it doesnt show any of the wifi networks. It just says scanning. The hotspot that im using for the laptop and the Hex Net are the same and has already been configured through AP mode for the Hex Net. i have no issues connecting to the Hex Net with my phone or tablet. Im not using a firewall at the moment.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    To clarify, the setup for connecting VCDS to the HEX-NET via wifi using a wifi router typically has two steps.

Step 1. Using VCIConfig and the interface plugged in over usb, scan for wifi networks and select the one you wish to use. Enter the password.
    The middle led on the HEX-NET should now be green and if you click "refresh interface list" you should see an IP address in the main screen of VCI-Config.

Step 2. Close VCIConfig. With your computer connected to the network you selected in step 1, go to VCDS, select "Net" on the options page and then "Test"

Are you trying both of the steps above? If so, can you clarify which step you are having an issue with?

--Shaun
    I have already configured it through VCIConfig and the middle led is always green. When i go to VCDS and select net and then test, it fails.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post a screenshot of the exact "Options" -> "Test" you get?
    With the interface connected over USB, open VCIConfig, you should see an IP address on the main overview page. Refresh if you don't see it, until the HEX-NET is connect. Click that IP address, it should open a browser window to VCDS-Mobile. Are you able to open VCDS-Mobile from the PC in this way?
    --Shaun

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Can you post a screenshot of the exact "Options" -> "Test" you get?

With the interface connected over USB, open VCIConfig, you should see an IP address on the main overview page. Refresh if you don't see it, until the HEX-NET is connect. Click that IP address, it should open a browser window to VCDS-Mobile. Are you able to open VCDS-Mobile from the PC in this way?
    --Shaun
    I can open VCDS Mobile by clicking on the IP address with the Hex Net plugged in through USB or wirelesssly.

If I select NET as my port option in VCDS and then go to Config the interface doesnt show up.
    Last edited by Nuwandam; 03-20-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have auto-detect or a fixed IP entered in the IP parameters box on the VCDS options screen (shows when you have net selected).
    What happens if you enter the IP address shown in VCIConfig in the fixed IP address field and click "Test"?

--Shaun