MQB Start/Stop function "fix" - question

bestyjny

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC811706 (Borrowed)
I don't want to disable Start/Stop function for good. But the way like it works in new Tiguan makes me mad.

I'd like to use it (engine off) when i press break pedal for good, but when it's pressed in half, and car is stopped I want my car engine on - e.g. when stop before pedestrian crossing.

Is there a way for "fix it"?

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
I guess not.

There is a very fine point where the engine won't stop and the car won't move. With a bit of training you learn to use that point to your favor.

Other than that, no possibility is known to me.

Reactions: Uwe

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
I assume there's a switch/sensor in the brake pedal that activates it?

On my S4 it is possible to depress the brake only gently at a stop and the engine keeps running (obviously need to brake harder sometimes and then it will stop) but I recently changed the coding, using instructions from this site so that it will memorise whether it was on or off when the car was last run and then restart in that state and this is a far better solution as, sometimes it can be useful but most of the time it is an annoyance.

bestyjny

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC811706 (Borrowed)
I don't want to disable or reverse S/S.

Just want to force it to work like in my friend Golf, Audi's and Merceres I had chance to try or talk with owners.

Like Dukedesmo said, with gently break press to avoid engine off. In new Tigs has very tight boundary between break press and engine off.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I don't want to disable or reverse S/S.

Just want to force it to work like in my friend Golf, Audi's and Merceres I had chance to try or talk with owners.

Like Dukedesmo said, with gently break press to avoid engine off. In new Tigs has very tight boundary between break press and engine off.

besty: Not sure about the new Tiggy (Dana is responsible for this now accepted abbreviation), but what the Golf mk7 fraternity affectionately call the "Start-Stop-soft-shoe-shuffle" can take a while to learn (it's just a matter of finding the sweet-spot in the brake pedal). Give it more time and I'm certain that you will be a real Fred-Astaire at it soon!

Don

Last edited:

bestyjny

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC811706 (Borrowed)
Give it more time and I'm certain that you will be a real Fred-Astaire at it soon!

Hahahaha! :D

But to be serious, it's now 7 months when I try to find break level, when I stop without engine off. My friend who also bought new Tig said to me yesterday, that S/S works way different in his previous Golf. In Tig is "more agressive".

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
Is it a switch or a sensor? because a switch may be 'adjustable' as to where it actuates. If a sensor then what does it sense? pressure or angle? and can that be altered?

Personally I prefer to have it switched off unless I'm in serious stop/start traffic with no likelihood of needing to make a quick getaway...

Back