Thread: Rear airbag disable 2011 Touareg

Post Thanks / Like

Rear airbag disable 2011 Touareg

Dear collective
    I am off to Morocco later in the year and I need more stowage space.

What I would like to do is remove the the rear seats for the trip and install a cargo tray and lashing rail.

However, the rear seats have side airbags so my question is whether I can adapt the airbag control module to deselect rear airbags so no faults are present whilst the rear seats are out, then revert the coding on my return and have reinstalled the rear seats.

Has anyone tried this!
    Regards Loz
    (moderator @ mytreg dot com)
    2011 T3 Escape [4XMotion, Night Blue, CSB Leather, RNS850, Everest Alloys, Keyless Go, air suspension, Bi-Xenons, Adaptive cruise(DAP), Panoramic roof, Electric tailgate, Area View, aux heater, mem seats, low box and locking diffs, Tyre pressure monitor]

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know, airbags can't be disabled changing the coding (software). Most cars have a "switch" for disabling the passenger airbag (found in the glovecompartment), but not for the seats.

If you remove the seats and want no fault-codes, you have to place "dummies" on the connectors, so the system thinks the airbags are available!

3. Likes Loz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mari
    I think that will be the easiest option, I'll put resistors in the plugs for the trip.

Off to consult the wiring diagrams
    Regards Loz
    (moderator @ mytreg dot com)
    2011 T3 Escape [4XMotion, Night Blue, CSB Leather, RNS850, Everest Alloys, Keyless Go, air suspension, Bi-Xenons, Adaptive cruise(DAP), Panoramic roof, Electric tailgate, Area View, aux heater, mem seats, low box and locking diffs, Tyre pressure monitor]