Replacement USB Cable

bluestar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=296157
My HEX-USB+CAN VCDS has a damaged USB cable. The insulation near the male plug is split, exposing some wires (see pic). It works, even when wiggling the cable end, but at some point I imagine it will no longer work.

Is it possible to order a replacement cable from Ross-Tech? Mind you, I bought the VCDS second-hand, so I'm not looking for a free repair; I just want to buy a replacement USB cable.

I recently bought a new HEX-V2 and use it exclusively because the interface is faster than the old HEX+CAN. I want to repair the old one so I can resell it without the buyer having to worry about reliability.

6v7419o.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sure, we can hook you up. You understand the other end is soldered to the board, right?

-Uwe-

bluestar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=296157
Fantastic! Who do I contact?

Yes, the 4 USB leads are soldered to the CB. I searched earlier and found some good pics in this thread:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...in-8-1-machines/page2&highlight=cable+replace

Those pics are for an earlier model VCDS, but I don't think it will be that different from mine.

With soldering, I'm mediocre at best and my iron has no heat control. Rather than risk heat damage to the CB, I would snip the wires and leave them as leads to be spliced. After splicing color-to-color, I'd solder each joint and insulate individually with shrink-tubing. Looks like there's plenty of room in the head to store a bit more wire.

Thanks!

Reactions: Uwe

bluestar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=296157
Dana,
I got your email. Thanks so much for providing a replacement cable. I'll await its arrival by mail.

Ross-Tech's outstanding customer service is much appreciated! :thumbs:
-Paul

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Internal ref: ST?ID=74224

Paul, that wire shipped and tracking looks like you'll get it on Saturday.

Back