"total car diagnostics": unauthorized cable and VCDS "licensed" software for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Time to report to these agencies about their legal association extending creditability and exposing them to further liability.
They have pockets to dig into.......

I barked up those trees in August of 2015. SAE wrote back:

We are aware that the SAE-A logo is being displayed on their website
and we have been trying to make contact but have been unsuccessful so
far.

I asked if they could point me in any direction in AU to report fraud, never heard back.

However, Totalshit did claim to be a SEMA member. When I contacted SEMA about this, they were not pleased and the SEMA member logo was gone within 48 hours. Totalshit also claims they use Skrill for CC processing. They used a different company prior to that (can't remember who), but they revoked the account. I've talked to Skrill about a year ago I guess and was informed that Totalshit was being investigated, but it seems nothing came of it.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Yeah, we tried that a while back. Cloudflare's response was basically, "We don't host anything and we're not responsible for the content we disseminate, but here's the IP of the actual host." That led us to DataShack, who was also quite unhelpful. Of course we could sue Datashack because they ignored the DMCA we sent 'em, but IMO it's simply not worth the money & time it would cost to whack that one mole.

You would be more than whacking a mole if you took DataShack (along with Aaron Wendel and the rest of the scum on ASN 32097) down, and I've got the firewall logs to back that up.

Microsoft has already beat their network like a red-headed stepchild through use of the Lanham Act, so they have experience putting their hands up when the US Marshalls raid (not to be confused with RAID) them with a trademark infringement case.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sneak some surreptitious code into your builds so that when cracked it deliberately changes some variables on the cars the cable and software is used on.
Although it was very tempting, we rejected the concept of deliberately messing up people's cars a long, long time ago. :thanks:

-Uwe-

dingle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261477
Less destructive methods would be not reading parts of the output or something like that.
Sort of 'almost' working but not quite thus making the clones useless.

dingle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261477
I'm suggesting using other methods of locking down usability.
As well as a check on authenticating the hardware (which looks like it can be defeated) you could authenticate the code with anti-tamper encryption.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Although it was very tempting, we rejected the concept of deliberately messing up people's cars a long, long time ago. :thanks:

-Uwe-

Uwe: the moral fortitude in your decision not to pursue this option is laudable, but I wonder if it has encouraged (wrong word - perhaps "not discouraged" is better) the production of these cables - no offense intended?

There is a world-of-difference difference between outright "messing-up" a car and a legitimate reminder to the fake cable user of their participation in IP theft!

Personally, I reckon that RT's response to these "black market" cables should be the very same as VW's (alleged) response to the black market for thieved control modules - component protection: Any time a fake cable tries to access the vehicle, RT's software generates an error message on the instrument panel that does nothing more than annoy the "sh#t" out of the driver. Only way to delete the DTC is to obtain an access code from RT (could be provided via email). This approach supports RT's moral position but it sends a stern-but-fair message to fake cable buyers that their behavior is a vital part of the reason why this despicable market exists!

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Uwe: the moral fortitude in your decision not to pursue this option is laudable, but I wonder if it has encouraged (wrong word - perhaps "not discouraged" is better) the production of these cables - no offense intended?

There is a world-of-difference difference between outright "messing-up" a car and a legitimate reminder to the fake cable user of their participation in IP theft!

Personally, I reckon that RT's response to these "black market" cables should be the very same as VW's (alleged) response to the black market for thieved control modules - component protection: Any time a fake cable tries to access the vehicle, RT's software generates an error message on the instrument panel that does nothing more than annoy the "sh#t" out of the driver. Only way to delete the DTC is to obtain an access code from RT (could be provided via email). This approach supports RT's moral position but it sends a stern-but-fair message to fake cable buyers that their behavior is a vital part of the reason why this despicable market exists!

Don

Yeah you might not see the liability in that as altering an emissions device .........look at where that got VW recently.
To create a DTC when it is not really there or cause a device to report would be a violation for liability far greater than the deterrence.

Component protection, the immobilizer in itself, actually to a degree violates such rules and awaits these legal challenges in court,........ when someone gets off their ass to do it!

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
Surely if going forward, VCDS has to connect online to function on a daily basis, the counterfeit cables could be stamped out quicker

I would also look at placing 'upgrades' for people with 11.11, 12.12 versions on the forums where this stuff kicks about, that would brick their cables after a couple of weeks of thinking all is good

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
... it so happens my VCDS interfaces were just misplaced. Therefore I've had to order a replacement from this definitely trustworthy gentleman. When it arrives, I will verify the hardware I received is properly licensed for use with VCDS per the seller's guarantee.
I've received my replacement interface. I was excited to put it to work right away, but it doesn't look quite like my other interface, and now I'm kind of worried. I'm starting to wonder if this guy is a legitimate seller of VCDS interfaces as he clearly states on his website. I haven't plugged this into my computer yet. Can Ross-Tech verify?

Jason

totally-legit-01.jpg

totally-legit-02.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've received my replacement interface. I was excited to put it to work right away, but it doesn't look quite like my other interface, and now I'm kind of worried. I'm starting to wonder if this guy is a legitimate seller of VCDS interfaces as he clearly states on his website. I haven't plugged this into my computer yet. Can Ross-Tech verify?

faaake.jpg

(and not even a very good one at that!)

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I almost forgot to post this:

Code:
To: uwe@ross-tech.com
Subject: Your DMCA complaint #0107666880
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 01:30:50 +0000

Dear Abuse Reporter,

We've received your report about alleged posting, hosting, or distribution =
of unlicensed copyright protected material on Amazon Web Services. We've co=
mpleted an initial investigation of the issue and learned that the activity=
 you reported originated from a user of our network.

We take reports of copyright infringement very seriously. We've taken appro=
priate action in response to your complaint to remove or disable access to =
the material and to notify the user who posted the material of your complai=
nt. If the user sends us a counter-notice, we will forward such counter-not=
ice to you with additional instructions.

Thank you for alerting us to this issue.
Sincerely,
Amazon Web Services LLC

---- original complaint ---
Hello,

It has come to our attention that the following archives hosted by you
contain files owned by us:

http://totalcardiagnostics.com.s3.amazonaws.com/VCDS_V12.12_-_TotalCarDiagn=
... ...

http://totalcardiagnostics.com.s3.amazonaws.com/VCDS_V16.8_-_TotalCarDiagno=
... ...

As we have not authorized you to host or distribute these files, this a
direct infringement under U.S.C. 17 =C2=A7 501, as well as various
international copyright treaties.

I hereby certify that I am the owner of the copyright in VCDS (VAG-COM
Diagnostic System).

I may be contacted at:

Uwe M. Ross, Owner
Ross-Tech, LLC
881 Sumneytown Pike
Lansdale, PA 19446
Tel: 267-638-2300
E-Mail: Uwe@Ross-Tech.com

I hereby state that I have a good faith belief that the items offered
for sale on the above pages are not authorized by the copyright
owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., as a fair use).

I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate
and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner, or authorized
to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive
right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed.

/S/: Uwe M. Ross

Regards,
The AWS Abuse Team
------=_Part_1628948_367169363.1490146250187--

Last edited by a moderator:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
totally-legit-02.jpg

Jason,

It appears that you have fallen victim to a well-known Australian pirate...the kind without a boat.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/specific_search/Total+Car+Diagnostics

From the 2015 report above, it appears that this scammer will require you to spend more on shipping to return his products than you are already out-of-pocket, hoping that you'll cut your losses and just keep it.

I guess that you could dispute the credit card charge if someone from Ross-Tech would confirm that this is an unauthorized pirate copy of their product.....

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
It's a FAAAKE!

It appears that you have fallen victim to a well-known Australian pirate...the kind without a boat.
Well it looks like I've been swindled!

I guess that you could dispute the credit card charge if someone from Ross-Tech would confirm that this is an unauthorized pirate copy of their product.....
As an honest man myself, I'm obviously going to extend the seller the benefit of the doubt and give him every opportunity to make this right. Hopefully he's sent me this counterfeit interface in error and he can replace it with a properly licensed interface. Or, failing that, he can send me a shipping label and I can return this garbage back to him at his cost. But if he leaves me no other option, I'd certainly have to explore that next step.

Jason

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Speaking of being swindled, I bought a cable on FleaBay and this is what i received:

ffkszbumbw4f73xwuukf.jpg

Good to know that I now have the proper scan tool to repair cars in Bedrock..... :D

flintstones-fred-s-car-please-call-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back