HEX-NET update problems/Error -11

olechr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=266989
So today i needed my HEX-NET again after quite a while. When connecting it to the car it tripple-beeps 5 times in a row on startup and then everything seems normal. I then try using the VCDS-app on my phone to connect to it but i get a blank screen saying something like "page does not exist".

I then thought it might just needed an update so i tried that. The HEX-NET does the same thing when connecting to my PC, tripple-beeps 5 times and seems normal. On update it takes quite a while and i get Error-11:

VCDS2_zpsfzsetimq.png

After this I decided to give it another try and i see that everything is updated except for something called DS(?). I try updating and again i get Error -11:

VCDS3_zps8ynv7daw.png

What could be the problem or rather the answer to this?

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
-11 could be SD card failure or a drive mounting problem on the PC side but I'm not sure about the beeping. I'll pass this link along for additional feedback from the rest of the crew. Does it beep when only connected to the PC via USB and no car?

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The beeping and -11 are confirmation that something in the SD card area is malfunctioning.

Are you comfortable with removing the screws from the HEX-NET so you can check the SD card connection?

If so please make sure it isn't loose and re-test it. If the problem is not resolved we can pre-configure a replacement SD card and mail it to you which would be more cost effective than asking you to send the HEX-NET to Ross-Tech headquarters for on-site repairs.

If you are not comfortable with the idea of taking it apart I can create a RMA number so you can mail it in for repairs.

Best,
Dana

Reactions: Uwe

olechr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=266989
The beeping and -11 are confirmation that something in the SD card area is malfunctioning.

Are you comfortable with removing the screws from the HEX-NET so you can check the SD card connection?

If so please make sure it isn't loose and re-test it. If the problem is not resolved we can pre-configure a replacement SD card and mail it to you which would be more cost effective than asking you to send the HEX-NET to Ross-Tech headquarters for on-site repairs.

If you are not comfortable with the idea of taking it apart I can create a RMA number so you can mail it in for repairs.

Best,
Dana

Opened up the HEX-NET and i can't see anything wrong with the connections. Tried taking the SD-card out and puting it back in with the same issue happening again... Here are some pictures of the of the HEX-NET taken apart:

IMG_2438_zpsmacupfh8.jpg

12313e_zps2smvfmrj.jpg

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Your RMA Number is 170302RA1

Thanks for the feedback and pictures! Your RMA Number is 170302RA1

Are you still at the same address we have on-file from the original HEX-NET order on 12/25/2015? If not please drop an e-mail to Support or PM me the shipping address.

This will be the 1st customer repair SD card RMA we've processed so please be patient while we sort the details on our end :) I hope to have an update for you on the status before closing time on Friday but you can bump this back up for an update.

Internal notes: RET?ID=5085

olechr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=266989
Thanks for the feedback and pictures! Your RMA Number is 170302RA1

Are you still at the same address we have on-file from the original HEX-NET order on 12/25/2015? If not please drop an e-mail to Support or PM me the shipping address.

This will be the 1st customer repair SD card RMA we've processed so please be patient while we sort the details on our end :) I hope to have an update for you on the status before closing time on Friday but you can bump this back up for an update.

Internal notes: RET?ID=5085

Yes i am still at the same adress, just to make sure, its an adress with postcode 3409, Tranby right? I might have put in the adress off where i work(postcode 3414, Lierstranda)

Just take your time, I am not in a huge rush :)

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The post code of 3409 matches but I have the city DRAMMEN rather than Tranby on-file. I'll send you an e-mail shortly with the complete details.

Reactions: Uwe

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I'm bumping this up with an update because we haven't had any prior self-repair SD card RMAs. This was a successful repair and the interface is fully functional so we avoided unnecessary international round trip shipping of the interface itself. :thumbs:

If anyone else stumbles across this thread while searching for the Error -11 code please be aware the SD Card is special. You can't just run to Best Buy and stuff a random new card in the interface. Please contact us directly or post in our forum for repair/replacement options on a case-by-case basis.

pdman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284381
sorry to bring the dead back to life.... however i am having the same exact issues as olechr was having.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
sorry to bring the dead back to life.... however i am having the same exact issues as olechr was having.
Since you're local, in the US, I'll ask: Would you prefer to send it in for repair, or would you like us to send you a card for you to install yourself?

Feel free to give us a call tomorrow.

-Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
O?ID=361977

pdman,

After we got off the phone, I call back down to the basement to make sure we are all on the same page. They now have an order generated for your card and it will go out tomorrow.

Once you have the new card installed, plug your HEX-NET up to a computer with the USB cord to power it up, give it about 10 seconds to boot up. Then press and hold the red button for +45 seconds to do a hard reset on the device. After +45 seconds, let go of the red button and your HEX-NET will reboot, give it about 10 seconds. Then unplug and replug the USB cord on the HEX-NET. Now perform firmware updates as detailed in this video:

That should get you up and running. Feedback on your results would be appreciated.

pdman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284381
Updating finally, work has been a bear. Had the card in two days from Ross tech Opened the case today and put the new card in and I followed the instructions given. Did all the updates and it seems to be working again. All is good. Merry Christmas

Back