Thread: Issues with connecting to vehicle(s)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Issues with connecting to vehicle(s)

Hi,

I'm a long time user, luckily I have not had to use my KEY-USB (Dual-K VAG-COM KC104429 Rev. B) cable on my 2010 VW CC or 2008 Passat 3.6l Wagon for some time. It's always worked great and is a great tool!

Since using VCDS and cable, I updated my laptop to Windows 10 Pro (32-bit OS, x-64 based Processor), and updated to VCDS Release 17.1.3.

The Test function finds the cable, and once connected to a vehicle it says: Port Status: OK and Interface Found! USB library version 03.02.07 and driver version 02.10.00 K1 and K2 OK

When I go to the OBD2 function it states: Car is NOT ISO/OBD-II Compatible! (I have used this before.)

When I go to Open Controller, and click Engine(or any controller), it states: No Response from Controller!

I tried both of our VW's and have the same issue.

I read through the Forums and F&Q's to see if anyone experienced my issues, and tried the "USB selective suspend setting" under "Power Options" set to "Disabled", that did not work.

Any suggestions? What did I miss? Thanks for any input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those cars use CAN bus for diagnostics and are not compatible with your K-line interface Time to upgrade:
    https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/vcds/intup/
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

3. Likes Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric, thanks for the reply. So I assume at some point VCDS stopped supporting CAN bus using the K-line cable?

So, I need to upgrade to the HEX-V2 and it will support my vehicles? I need to change rear brake pads (reason for breaking out the old cable), both cars have the electric parking brake. Will the HEX-V2 enable me to retract the rear caliper piston?

Thanks!

5. Likes Eric liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 993_TG View Post
    So I assume at some point VCDS stopped supporting CAN bus using the K-line cable?
    VCDS connected with a K-Line interface never supported CAN. Not from day one. Nothing has changed.

Maybe your cars have some modules that were still on the K-Lines?

We don't think so. But, we are not going to argue with your recollection. We are pretty sure the modules in those two vehicles only communicate via CAN and a K-Line interface would act just as you have described.

So, I need to upgrade to the HEX-V2 and it will support my vehicles? I need to change rear brake pads (reason for breaking out the old cable), both cars have the electric parking brake. Will the HEX-V2 enable me to retract the rear caliper piston?

Thanks!
    Yes, you need either a HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET.

Yes, VCDS fully supports retracting the parking break so you can change your pads.
    Details can be seen in the Ross-Tech Wiki:
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index..._Parking_Brake

Note the Tiguan procedure is used on both vehicles.
    Want to check for yourself? Look to Module 53 in both cars:
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_(3C)
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...Passat_CC_(35)

Were the decision mine, I would upgrade to the HEX-V2 Enthusiast 10 VIN unit at $149 with your old interface in trade.

7. Likes Dana, Eric, Andy, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, thanks for the assistance. Ordering one now.

9. Likes Dana, Eric, Bruce liked this post