VW Touareg 2004 engine wont turn over nor start

TFSI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66650
Hi Folks,

I have an 04 touareg that I am dealing with. When I try to turn on ignition, nothing happens. I only see the message with steering wheel symbol ''Turn Steering Wheel". No lights on dashboard. I only hear the gong sound when key inserted. I do not hear the usual 'cracking sound' steering lock release when key inserted. With key out I am able to turn steering wheel full lock left and right while hearing rattling sound neart column.
Looks like the steering column lock is defective.
My question is if I replace this unit would I need to do adaptation aspect of immobilizer programming?

I am sorry I couldnt post any diagnosis report as ignition wont turn on. The VIN is: WVGCM77LX4D062459.

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

Danners74

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273244
There's a whole heap of wiring and node joints on the drivers side of the sill on UK spec cars and can cause this. Carpet up check for corrosion etc. scan?????

TFSI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66650
I took carpets off inspected all those multi socket wires, all good. The earth connections are clean and super tight.

This car was running well before this issue happened. It was parked for few hours and now restart is not possible.

Anybody seen this issue before on 04 touaregs?

tuningbyamg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230173
If you replace the steering wheel lock and ign switch it only would accept a new one and vw has to recode it to work with your car. Friend had this issue, only way was buy new module and bring to dealer sadly.
Did you check all the fuses for terminal 30 and such under the driver seat, also there is a safety cutoff switch with a yellow button that should technically cut off power to starter and alternator to avoid a fire in a crash?

tuningbyamg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230173
Also a worthy try is the emergency start sequence, insert the key turn all the way left and then all the way right to starter position

TFSI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66650
Tuningbyamg,

Thanks for your input. Yes I tried the emergency start sequence but no go. I know the safety switch cut of device too...all fuses under seat ok.what i find strange is that steering column does not lock even with key out. I can turn steering wheel..i hear the lock trying to engage but sounds like slips off.You know wne you insert the key the steering lock release and must make sound.This doesnt happen on this car and no ignition comes on dashbord.

tuningbyamg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230173
You probably have a fault there, i know my friend was able to get away with it by clearing the fault and then trying to start. But in the end it was a new steering wheel module. 1000$+ with coding im afraid..

Back