Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope opinions ??

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi....I am always of the opinion that no PC based scope is a match for a proper a bench based scope for general use. Note how I highlighted those words.
    If you have a specific need that a PC based scope fulfills, then a PC based scope will become the best choice for you.
    Some of those needs might be unlimited memory depth, high resolution, or more channels.
    If I was after a PC based scope, then Pico are one the major established players, so is a good place to start.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think owning a scope now in a shop is a waste of time/money & with the sample rates available in the newer controllers and multi-meters seem to find stuff pretty fast even with MIN/MAX.

If I was going to buy a scope it would be bench top stand alone unit, with a PC interface and with the ability to analyze a CAN with recording broadcast features and filters & a decoder!

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...erstanding-of-!

http://teledynelecroy.com/
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

3. Likes jyoung8607, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Jack, have you had use of these phone size scopes?

I've seen a few Chinese units on ebay and Ali etc... and didn't really know if they were of use? I suppose they could be when out in the field for quick testing and their size and own power source does make them appealing. They seem like high school / beginner hobbyist equipment. Anybody tried them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132739774286?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113189129862?

As another option, how about a Saleac logic analyser? I notice they offer half price discounts...

https://blog.saleae.com/saleae-discounts/

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a few of the pocket scopes in the field and the ones from China, surprisingly easy to navigate and worked okay for testing avionic's on ramp ups and some alarm CAN addressable stuff I assisted with & when in end a meter found the stuff too, but comparing on bench with lab units, not too far off at all.

Biggest issue I found was the test leads were more of the problem with attenuation or inadequate strain relief but when I swapped to gold or made stuff up, was indeed very nice in end.

Always corrosion, resonance, humidity, improper shield/heat or rodent FOD it seems in the end!

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4-TFT-Poc...8AAOSwfzdbowzH

Guys should consider building a scope to learn more about function & with kits like this as an example above for cheap money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a DS203 and IMHO for the price it isn't too bad.... scoped out the G28 and G40 on my TDI PD for giggles and it worked good enough. I think a lab scope is still a useful tool to have, but I don't see it as a daily use tool in a shop, more of a sanity checker. Example:

Some VW engine was flagging codes for the G28 engine speed sensor. Sensors swapped out, wiring inspected over and over, ECM swapped, same code. Could drive the car maybe 10 miles before it would flag, other times fire the engine up and it MIL in seconds.

Got the guy to do a sanity check and scope out the G28... and there as a weak pulse in it. Some FOD in the crank case had dinged a tooth on the ring, thus that one pulse was weaker than the others. He found a tiny metal chunk in the oil pan, may of been overcast on the engine block that cracked free, but he wasn't sure.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.