Is it possible to get the original coding?

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Hi,

Is it possible to get the original (factory) coding of all installed modules in my car (Golf V 1.9 TDI year 2008)?

I mean something like contact the VW center in Germany so they can search on their database.

Is such thing possible? For free? :D

Thanks.

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
If you visit a dealer, they can do a sync with the server in Germany - it is normally what they do when your get a service from them, but sometimes they don't do it automatically - but you can ask them - if they will do it for free without any other reason then just get the sync - I don't know, you need to ask them about that.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Another possibility without actually changing anything in the car to have a dealer search for the earliest scan for this car in the on-line service records. In principle, the car should have been scanned by the original selling dealer prior to delivery, and that scan should should have 100% stock codings.

Now whether you can find a dealer that's willing to search for the earliest scan in VW's system is another question.

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Uwe, windmills don't work that way on this side of the pond. There is no dealer (tech) accessible paperless system like the one you guys have in NAR.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe, windmills don't work that way on this side of the pond. There is no dealer (tech) accessible paperless system like the one you guys have in NAR.
Really? So a dealer in Europe can't pull the service history on a car? :confused:

-Uwe-

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Really? So a dealer in Europe can't pull the service history on a car? :confused:

-Uwe-

Uwe, I can't speak for other dealers, but in my region in a 60km radius (2/3 dealers) all are amateurs:

- Tap water mixed with coolant.

- Horrible paint jobs (wet paint dripping from vertical panels and falling in horizontal panels and forming big drops of paint). I had to remove that enormous drop by myself.

- Horrible wind-shield replacement (the rain rain sensor - gel/pad has bubbles).

- Bumper paint really scratched (you can now see the black plastic!) after removing the fog grill to replace the horn.

- In the same horn replacement they used my car's flat screw driver and forgot to put it back in place (missing in combat since then).

- We will update your engine ECU FW in this service, they said. VCDS says "0 flashes". However, I am not sure it VCDS can really detect dealer's flashes. What I mean is that I don't know if the dealer can flash the ECU without increment the "flash counter".

- We don't know the problem, they said about the "light switch problem / long crank before the engine starts". If the car has the city lights on the car starts immediately. A few days later I found in an amateurs forum some official document (stamped and signed by Audi) about that same issue, that is: symptoms, how to diagnose, how to repair. I repaired myself by replacing the light switch.

The list is just beginning but I am tired to type :)

What I mean is that I am not admired that they don't have access to that type of history. Also, I don't trust them to replace a bulb meaning that I don't trust them for getting the original coding (considering it was possible).

Last edited:

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Just post an autoscan here and a list of things You suspect they have been modified.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
I am not the original owner of this car... but it has the following fault.

The door lock works OK. Tested open, closed and safe (impossible to unlock from inside).

Is this a wrong code or faulty module?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Address 52: Door Elect, Pass. Labels: 1K0-959-702-MIN3.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 959 702 M HW: 1K0959702M
Component: Tuer-SG 006 1219
Coding: 0000180
Shop #: WSC 01392 785 00200
VCID: 3935BEE72EC8825F853D77BF06-806C

1 Fault Found:
00097 - Front Passengers Central Locking (Safe) Motor (V162)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
-----------------------------------------------------------------

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
It is a typical fault for Golf5 and similar cars locking mechanisms. First it has just intermittent fault for motors or microswitches, as fault occurs just intermittently and user does not notice any malfunction, later doors are not locking or unlocking sometimes. And then the moment comes, when doors are left locked in safe mode... :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^^ Fault Code is Intermittent, meaning fault condition that caused fault code to be set did not exist (or could not be detected) at the time the scan was performed. If you clear it, how soon and under what conditions does it come back?

I doubt this is a coding problem, because I wouldn't expect a coding problem to set an Intermittent code.

-Uwe-

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
It is a typical fault for Golf5 and similar cars locking mechanisms. First it has just intermittent fault for motors or microswitches, as fault occurs just intermittently and user does not notice any malfunction, later doors are not locking or unlocking sometimes. And then the moment comes, when doors are left locked in safe mode... :D

Thank you so much for sharing your experience :thanks:

I think I know how to remove the outer panel but the problem is ordering the correct part.

AFAIK that part number (the one dying 1K0959702M) is discontinued and replaced by some other equivalent part with a different type of communication (UDS, I guess) which involves lots of labour and parts. I also believe that I need a newer gateway!

I found some used 1K0959702M in ebay UK (from RHD cars). But that same code is for the left passenger side. My car is LHD and of course the passenger is on the right.

Can I use the 1K0959702M placed in the front left side door (on a RHD) in the front right door (on my LHD)?

Last edited:

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Why do You want to replace door window motor with control module, if You have faulty door locking mechanism? You have to look for part 3D1837016AC, or 3D1837016AE or 3B1837016CG, depending on PR codes of Your car.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Why do You want to replace door window motor with control module, if You have faulty door locking mechanism? You have to look for part 3D1837016AC, or 3D1837016AE or 3B1837016CG, depending on PR codes of Your car.

Because I am noob :facepalm:

I'll try to remove the outer panel during this weekend to confirm the PN.

I think that part won't cost more than 40/50€.

Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn

A complete service history, meaning which work had been performed on the car, and diagnostic protocols from pother dealers are two completely different things. ;)

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561

If the door is left locked in safe mode how can I open it?

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
Uwe, I can't speak for other dealers, but in my region in a 60km radius (2/3 dealers) all are amateurs...

Hey, sounds like Audi Nashville! (and Hallmark VW in Madison, TN, who overfilled my month-old 1.8T by a liter when I took it there for its first complementary oil change & necessary negligent damage visit; when I called the service mgr said "No extra charge, har har har!" and "Jes' draaahv it; the extry ole will burn off!")! Called VWOA and they said they'd send a flatbed and to make sure the driver didn't start the engine. They would not take it anywhere but the same imbeciles so I declined and Mity-Vacced out the extra oil. 200k miles later no problems, due to my skillful driving and maintenance, no doubt).:rolleyes: Oh yeah, despite a post-it note stuck to the inside rear view mirror (PLEASE DO NOT WASH THIS CAR), and even though the car was SPOTLESS and recently waxed by me, they even threw in a wash with some 1000-grit towels so I could enjoy the fascinating swirls as I drive! Now THAT's service!

The lot jockey who drove it from the service lane showed me I'd been doing it all wrong, too! He put it in second, revved it to ~3000 RPM and oh-so-slowly let out the clutch. (Yes, my international friends, there are still individuals in the US who cannot drive a manual transmission) So glad that this one was trying to improve himself by learning. His parole officer is proud.

Gotta go take my blood pressure pill now...

Ciao,
Tom

Back