VCDS HEX+CAN interface no longer works with CAN vehicles

Scott1979

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78596
Hi guys/girls,

I have been using my VCDS to monitor some live data on my 2007 Audi S3 for the last week and a half with no problems at all. Yesterday my VCDS software asked for data updated in the software so i downloaded and installed it. After installing the update i connected the interface ok but i haven't been able to connect to a CAN vehicle since. I can't see this as being a software issue. I have used other tools on my car to make sure it wasn't a vehicle issue but they all worked fine.

I also tried my lead on a friend's laptop (using slightly earlier software) and it wouldn't work. I then tried his lead with my laptop and all worked ok. So in my opinion it isn't a software issue, it is a hardware issue.

Is there any way to fix this lead please??

Kind Regards,

Scott

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Tell us HC number of unit or long number from about screen, please.

Scott1979

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78596
Thank you.

HC no. is HC484962

Long serial no. is [redacted]

S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Uwe

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Per our e-mail conversation we believe HC484962 is malfunctioning and I copied Gendan Limited on that reply. The RMA Number is 170202RA2

If you don't hear back from one of us, or the guys at Gendan, feel free to bump this back up tomorrow. Since you you are a Verified forum user I can move it to the Product Support sub-forum in the meanwhile.

Best,
Dana

Ref: RET?ID=5058

Scott1979

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78596
Thank you very much Dana!

I have noted the RMA number and i look forward to hearing back from you or Gendan soon :)

Kind regards,

Scott.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I am very sorry Scott! I need to take responsibility for this one. I ASSumed Gendan still had HEX-USB+CAN interfaces in inventory to handle the FRR but I was mistaken. They do not currently have any so we are left with 2 options:

1) FRR (Flat Rate Repair)
  1. Through us directly for $129.00 USD plus International Shipping and Duties/Taxes billed by FedEx directly.
  2. Through Gendan but you'd need to wait until they have HUC inventory.
2) Upgrade through Gendan, perhaps to our latest HEX-V2 interface which will be compatible with 2016+ model years vehicles.

Mike has been communicating with us via e-mail and we will be in touch with you. Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,
Dana

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643
so a SW update screwed the interface ?

This is a reason I'm still on vers 15 & ignoring update prompts.
Am i safe to update ? (Hex+CAN+USB)

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643
thank you I shall do !

jrathod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287550
Scott- I ran into the exact same problem with my HEX-USB+CAN interface. I have used it and it worked fine but couple of days back when I was about to use it I updated to veraion 17 or message as I was instructed to do by ROSS-TECH when I bought it. Stopped working. I can't even pull up the main screen. I wonder my $412 is wasted or do I need to spend even more now?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Scott- I ran into the exact same problem with my HEX-USB+CAN interface. I have used it and it worked fine but couple of days back when I was about to use it I updated to veraion 17 or message as I was instructed to do by ROSS-TECH when I bought it. Stopped working. I can't even pull up the main screen. I wonder my $412 is wasted or do I need to spend even more now?
HC853490 was shipped last September so it's under warranty. Worst case, you'd have to ship it to us for repair or replacement, but call us first so we can try to trouble-shoot whatever your issue is over the phone. Computer and car are needed when you call.

-Uwe-

Back