Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member; hoping to learn more in depth about VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    One other point (which I'm sure you know already, Billy) is don't drive around with your new cluster in as is - because as soon as you go over 62m (100km) the cluster will lock that mileage in and you will no longer be able to set forward with channel 09.
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    I thought you may be able to code the cluster for miles, enter the value in adaptation channel 09, then TEST ONLY and see what is shown on the odometer. If you don't save, you should be able to back out.
    I have a fuzzy recollection that New Beetle clusters do not display a reading in the Odometer when one clicks TEST.

I *think* the safest approach is to code the cluster to show km. Do your miles to km. conversion. Let's say you want 40,000 miles showing. That would be 64,374 km. So you would put 6437 into adaptation channel 9. Then when you recode back to miles, you'd end up with something real close to 40,000 miles.

However, I'd still like to get confirmation from one of the techs 'cause I've never done an NB in person and it's probably been more than 10 years since I've done one with a customer over the phone.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Uwe; I think I'll hold off on doing the process; until, someone can confirm how I should proceed. I have done so much work; troubleshooting immobilizer issues, to get to this point..., I don't want to screw this last and final step up! :-) Thanks! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Uniform.
    Whiskey.
    Echo.

Not this!

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Corrected! (dang cell phones!) I have relatives in Germany and have been there 2X, I have not run across your name before, en Deutschland! How do you pronounce your name in Deutsche? Phonetically: "OOVAH", "UUVEE", etc.? Thanks! (The Deutsche speaking impaired *me* and those of us with inquiring minds, want to know!)
    Last edited by billymade; 07-20-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Native English speakers are pretty much incapable of pronouncing it the German way, which effectively precludes a written explanation how to pronounce it the German way.

-Uwe-

6. Likes jakematic liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by billymade; 07-20-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this: for possible help from others; I don't want to do anything that is against the rules and don't want to cross post! However, now that I am a verified VCDS User: should I post the question in the normal area (where), to get more eyeballs and potential help? Please advise; thanks! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the original Instrument Cluster communicate with VCDS Billy? If so, and the replacement is the identical part number, my suggestion would be to reinstall it and run/save a complete Auto-Scan so the original soft coding is saved and read Adaptation Channel 009. Note the original channel value and write down the odometer reading on the dash display (assuming the old cluster isn't completely dead). Next, change the country code of the original cluster from US -to- CA and read Adapt. Channel 009 again - making note of the stored value.

If the stored value of channel 009 changes with soft coding as I expect you should be able to confirm which values/numbers to enter in the virgin unit with each coding variant.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info; Dana! I will have to try this out tonite; after things cool down, its been over 100+ here in New Mexico! If anyone else; has any input or experiences with a new beetle speedo swap/odometer input, please post up the info! I will report; once I do the above procedure!

PS: the original speedo; will communicate with VCDS fine, I am using it in the meantime; I am replacing it... because of a long term immobilizer fault issue (have narrowed it down to that, having replaced terminal ends at the reader coil, reader coil, switch, ran output tests on transponders, speedo, etc.; research seems to indicate internal board damage can cause these immo/no start faults). I am hoping this new cluster; will finally resolve my immo issues!

12. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, worked on the speedo tonite; cooled down from the heat here in New Mexico: here is what I did in VCDS:

1. old cluster is installed
    a. have original skc
    b. noted what the odometer reading was in miles; on the old speedo cluster.
    c. selected: 17 instruments: login 11: coding 7: changed country code from #2 usa to #3 canada (worked): then 07 coding: then 10: channel 9:
    d. at this point; my odometer reads in kilometers. I was able to note the milage is displayed in the speedo, in kilometers; I changed it back to miles, to drive the car. So, the coding for miles/km; does work with this particular speedo (old one).

So, now: should I put in the new cluster, change coding to kilometers, input new odometer reading in kilometers, from the old cluster and then change the coding back to usa/miles? So, theoretically; then that completes the milage coding process? Let me know; if this is where you were going and thinking; recommending I do... thanks! ...billy
    Last edited by billymade; 07-24-2014 at 01:13 AM.