New Member; hoping to learn more in depth about VCDS.

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Hey, I have had VAGCOM since 2007 (what it was called; when purchased); I bought the product, when my 2002 New Beetle Turbo S, went out of warranty and my airbag light came on. I did my first auto scan: it told me the belt buckle was bad; I replaced the part, erased the codes and the abs light stayed off... a successful repair! That first experience; confirmed to me that the $350 I paid for the tool; was worth every penny and paid for itself with the first repair I completed! I'm sure the local VW dealer; would have charged me at least $350, if not more! :cool:

Over the years; I have done many "auto scans" and typical stuff, like throttle body alignments, misfire counting, clearing codes, etc. Lately, I have been doing more in depth repairs; using matching capabilities for a new speedo cluster, key matching and using measuring blocks to troubleshoot different components. Also, I have been delving into troubleshooting drivability issues; by reading fuel trim levels and learning about how features of the software, can help me troubleshoot problems with VWs I work on. While, the learning curve has been somewhat steep (for me) at times, time consuming to figure things out; I am continually impressed with the VCDS's capabilities and feel that I can eventually figure out my problems with my car, thanks to VCDS.

By joining this forum; I hope to continue to learn, more in depth capabilities of the product! Hopefully, being around Uwe and his band of VAG programmers/technical gurus; I will learn more and more about this great diagnostic tool, for us owners of these wacky German cars! Thanks Uwe; for putting out this great and affordable product; so, we don't have to be beholden to the VW dealers and can fix things ourselves! Thanks again! "tschüss" :D ...billy

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Great to have you here Billy. We hope that all who use VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) will enjoy the same experience you have had.

Do hang out and post your questions. There are many here who can help - not just the VAG programmers that hang out with Uwe. We learn everyday from people using our tool. Having a place where all can learn together was the idea behind hosting our own forum.

Thanks for your continued support and kind words.

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Welcome to the forum Billy.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us. ;)

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Thanks guys; for the welcome! Where should I post a question; about my speedo cluster swap? Specifically: putting my current milage from the (old) cluster; onto the new cluster (that I sent off; had reset to "zero", so I could use VCDS on the odometer). My concerns are related to the km or miles aspect of the inputting of the new milage; let me know, where to post! Looking over the subsections, I'm unsure where to put the question! Thanks! :-)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What car, exactly?

-Uwe-

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
I have a 2002 New Beetle Turbo S: 1.8T AWP, six speed ERR 02M trans with (immo III):

What I have done so far:

1. physically: swapped clusters: (exact same unit: correct replacement part numbers as shown on ETKA @ my VW dealer's parts dept. as per my VIN #)

a. matched skc/keys to new cluster, softcoding etc.
b. car starts and works fine with new/matched cluster

2. inputting milage: last step I haven't done

I am confused about milage inputting; not the process but whether KMs or Miles, are used. I seem to be getting info that US based VW New Beetles; use "miles" and shouldn't be inputted/converted from KM's? From what I understand; my speedo cluster is specific non-VDO oem unit but it is made by Magneti Marelli (M73).

as noted in this quote: "•Adaptation value on Magneti Marelli (M73) instrument clusters for US models must be entered in miles. "

I am referencing this procedure: shown for the VAG 1551/1552 Scan Tool:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...-new-beetle/45794-instrument-cluster-diy.html

There are times; when I am looking at official VW manuals that show procedures, for the VAG 1551/1552 Scan Tool and I have to kinda figure it out on VCDS, through guessing, as I go along. I'll be honest; I have been putting this off for quite awhile, as I sent out the speedo to be "zero'd" and I feel like I have "one shot" to do it and then (if the process doesn't work and I screw up the km/miles odometer reading), I am stuck back to square one and will have to ship it out, to be zero'd again! Am I off base here or am I on the right track? Thanks, for looking! :-)...billy

PS: I am referencing the listed procedure; below (didn't mean to dump this on here but wanted to show you, I am looking/reading the wiki):

Procedure for installing a NEW Instrument Cluster in vehicles with Immobilizer III:

With the OLD Instrument Cluster in the vehicle, write down the current mileage.

(Volkswagens only, if you are working on an Audi, skip to step 3)
[Select]
[Display] (Less Common Modules)
[19 - CAN Gateway]
Write down the 5 digit number from the "Soft. Coding" field, make note that is the CAN number.
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
Write down the 14 digit Immobilizer ID number from the "Extra" field and the 5 digit number from the "Soft. Coding" field, make note that is the OLD Instrument Cluster Coding.
(If you have a 2002+ Audi, write down the current Adaptation values for Channels 60 through 70, if available)

Take that 14-digit Immobilizer ID number (along with your VIN number) to your dealer and request your seven-digit SKC, along with the workshop code and importer number ( the workshop code and importer number can be found in the upper-right corner of the Administration screen of the dealer's VAS 5051).

Install the new Instrument Cluster.

Measure the car's battery voltage, it must be 12.5 V or higher.

(Volkswagens only, if you are working on an Audi, skip to step 8)
[Select]
[Display] (Less Common Modules)
[19 - CAN Gateway]
[Recode - 07]
Enter the 5 digit number that you wrote down as the CAN number.
[Do It!]

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Recode - 07]
Enter the 5 digit number that you wrote down as the Instrument Cluster Coding.
[Do It!]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter 50 in Channel Number
[Read]
[Use 7-digit PIN/SKC]
Enter the 7-digit PIN from the OLD Instrument Cluster, Date on which the PIN was GENERATED BY THE DEALER, along with the dealer's Workshop Code (WSC) and the Importer number
[OK]

VCDS will validate the data you have entered and return you to the Adaptation screen, where the New Value will show as "XXXXX".
[Test]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]

Switch ignition off and then back on within one minute but do not start vehicle.

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
Verify that the VIN now displayed in the "Extra" field is the same as the VIN of the vehicle.

You can check to make sure a key has the correct electronics in it so that it can be matched to the Immobilizer by:
[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 022
[Go!]
The value in field 3 must be 1. If value is not 1, the key is not capable of being adapted to Immobilizer. You can check each key in this manner.

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 024
[Go!]
Any numbers displayed in fields 1-4 represent the time in minutes that must be counted down before the Immobilizer is unlocked. If the fields are all zero, skip to step 16. If the Immobilizer is locked:
[Done, Go Back]
Do not switch off the ignition! Allow the car to sit for AT LEAST the number of minutes that were indicated by the display in Group 024

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 024
[Go!]
Make sure all fields are zero.
[Done, Go Back]

[Login - 11]
[Use 7-digit PIN/SKC]
Enter the 7-digit PIN from the OLD Instrument Cluster, Date on which the PIN was generated by the dealer, along with the Workshop Code (WSC) and the Importer number of the dealer that generated the code.
[OK]

VCDS will validate the data you have entered and return you to the Login screen, where the Login Code will show as "XXXXX".
[Do It!]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter 21 in "Channel Number"
[Read]
The "Stored Value" is the number of keys currently matched.
Enter "new value" of 0
[Save]
This clears out the old key-matchings.
Enter a "new value" corresponding to the total number of keys to be matched, including any existing keys
[Save]

[Done, Go Back]
Switch ignition off and remove key

Insert next key to ignition and switch ignition on again
The warning light for the Immobilizer will light up for ~2 seconds, then go out
Switch ignition off and remove key

Repeat step 20 with each key until all keys have been matched.

--- Entering the Mileage in the New Cluster ---

If you are live in a market where the odometer reading is in miles, you should change to km before entering the mileage. To do this, consult the Factory Repair Manual for your vehicle. Here is an example:

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Recode - 07]
Change the 3rd digit from a "2" (US) to a "3" (Canada)
[Do It!]

Confirm that the odometer in the car now shows kilometers, not miles.

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Adaptation - 10]
Enter "channel number" 09 to select channel
Put in the number of km divided by 10. Example: If old cluster had 50,357 km, put in 5036.
Note: Some clusters may require a Login of 13861 before you can set the mileage.
[Test]
Observe the Instrument Cluster and make sure the mileage displayed is correct. Once you save this value, you will be unable to change the mileage EVER!
[Save]

If you are live in a market where the odometer reading is in miles, you should now change back to miles. To do this, consult the Factory Repair Manual for your vehicle. Here is an example:

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Recode - 07]
Change the 3rd digit from a "3" (Canada) to a "2" (US)
[Do It!]

Confirm that the odometer in the car now shows miles, not kilometers. Make sure that the mileage reading is correct.

Note: If you are installing an instrument cluster that has ever been installed in another car, you must insert the following step. Also, bear in mind that you will not be able to change the mileage of a cluster that has more than 100 km on the odometer):

8.5 [Login - 11]
[Use 7-digit PIN/SKC]
Enter the 7-digit PIN for the USED Instrument Cluster, Date on which the PIN was generated by the
dealer, along with the Workshop Code (WSC) and the Importer number of the dealer that generated
the code.
[OK]
This should effectively "wipe out" the previous matching.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The odometer reading (divided by 10) goes into Adaptation channel 09. Is if you wanted an odometer reading of 123456, you'd put in 12345 (and would then get 123450, or put in 12346 and end up with a reading of 123460. However, as you've noted, the question is: Do you need to enter miles or km, and of this, I'm not certain. Most often we tell people: Code the cluster so the odometer reading is showing km, then you should be safe putting in km, but whether that applies that to your particular cluster, I can't say for sure. Hopefully we'll hear from one of the techs who've actually done a New Beetle, but it is the weekend...

-Uwe-

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Thank you for your quick reply! :-) Hopefully someone else will chime in and help!! :-)

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
One other point (which I'm sure you know already, Billy) is don't drive around with your new cluster in as is - because as soon as you go over 62m (100km) the cluster will lock that mileage in and you will no longer be able to set forward with channel 09.

I thought you may be able to code the cluster for miles, enter the value in adaptation channel 09, then TEST ONLY and see what is shown on the odometer. If you don't save, you should be able to back out.

Reactions: Uwe

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Hey, I just installed the speedo into the vehicle; to test for functionality (startup, all keys work, guages functional etc.) and did the matching up process, until the mileage input step. I did this; exactly, because of the issue that you mentioned (I'm also, trying to keep the mileage as close to accurate as possible); plus, to save the "zero'd" out cost (check twice; do it once)! The speedo has been in my car in a box (while, I tried to figure out what to do about the situation) and , in the meantime, I have been driving around with the original cluster. Thanks, for the tip on the test feature; I have been pretty paranoid, because I figured once I did the input, I wouldn't be able to do it again! :rolleyes: Based upon your information; I will try to do the test feature and see if it works. It's been a while; so, I don't know if it displayed kilometers or miles; maybe it doesn't indicate either one, we will see! :-) I still feel like I don't know for sure if it's "miles", per this particular MM chip in the cluster, however. I guess putting in the mileage and the corresponding numbers, could be either miles or kilometers (no way of knowing)? I guess, I would just not do the input as miles; no conversion, from kilometers to miles in the programming process? The "test" features is helpful but I still don't know if it will be miles or kilometers for this situation/car/cluster; I will try to play around with it and see if it denotes miles or kilometers in the VCDS process. Thanks for the input! :-)

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
One other point (which I'm sure you know already, Billy) is don't drive around with your new cluster in as is - because as soon as you go over 62m (100km) the cluster will lock that mileage in and you will no longer be able to set forward with channel 09.
Yup!

I thought you may be able to code the cluster for miles, enter the value in adaptation channel 09, then TEST ONLY and see what is shown on the odometer. If you don't save, you should be able to back out.
I have a fuzzy recollection that New Beetle clusters do not display a reading in the Odometer when one clicks TEST.

I *think* the safest approach is to code the cluster to show km. Do your miles to km. conversion. Let's say you want 40,000 miles showing. That would be 64,374 km. So you would put 6437 into adaptation channel 9. Then when you recode back to miles, you'd end up with something real close to 40,000 miles.

However, I'd still like to get confirmation from one of the techs 'cause I've never done an NB in person and it's probably been more than 10 years since I've done one with a customer over the phone.

-Uwe-

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Thanks Uwe; I think I'll hold off on doing the process; until, someone can confirm how I should proceed. I have done so much work; troubleshooting immobilizer issues, to get to this point..., I don't want to screw this last and final step up! :-) Thanks! :-)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uniform.
Whiskey.
Echo.

Not this! :rolleyes:

-Uwe-

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Corrected! (dang cell phones!) I have relatives in Germany and have been there 2X, I have not run across your name before, en Deutschland! How do you pronounce your name in Deutsche? Phonetically: "OOVAH", "UUVEE", etc.? Thanks! :eek:(The Deutsche speaking impaired *me* and those of us with inquiring minds, want to know!) :cool:

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Native English speakers are pretty much incapable of pronouncing it the German way, which effectively precludes a written explanation how to pronounce it the German way. :D

-Uwe-

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Bumping this: for possible help from others; I don't want to do anything that is against the rules and don't want to cross post! However, now that I am a verified VCDS User: should I post the question in the normal area (where), to get more eyeballs and potential help? Please advise; thanks! :-)

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Did the original Instrument Cluster communicate with VCDS Billy? If so, and the replacement is the identical part number, my suggestion would be to reinstall it and run/save a complete Auto-Scan so the original soft coding is saved and read Adaptation Channel 009. Note the original channel value and write down the odometer reading on the dash display (assuming the old cluster isn't completely dead). Next, change the country code of the original cluster from US -to- CA and read Adapt. Channel 009 again - making note of the stored value.

If the stored value of channel 009 changes with soft coding as I expect you should be able to confirm which values/numbers to enter in the virgin unit with each coding variant.

Reactions: Uwe

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Thanks for the info; Dana! I will have to try this out tonite; after things cool down, its been over 100+ here in New Mexico! :cool: If anyone else; has any input or experiences with a new beetle speedo swap/odometer input, please post up the info! I will report; once I do the above procedure! :rolleyes:

PS: the original speedo; will communicate with VCDS fine, I am using it in the meantime; I am replacing it... because of a long term immobilizer fault issue (have narrowed it down to that, having replaced terminal ends at the reader coil, reader coil, switch, ran output tests on transponders, speedo, etc.; research seems to indicate internal board damage can cause these immo/no start faults). I am hoping this new cluster; will finally resolve my immo issues! :)

billymade

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48351
Ok, worked on the speedo tonite; cooled down from the heat here in New Mexico: here is what I did in VCDS:

1. old cluster is installed
a. have original skc
b. noted what the odometer reading was in miles; on the old speedo cluster.
c. selected: 17 instruments: login 11: coding 7: changed country code from #2 usa to #3 canada (worked): then 07 coding: then 10: channel 9:
d. at this point; my odometer reads in kilometers. I was able to note the milage is displayed in the speedo, in kilometers; I changed it back to miles, to drive the car. So, the coding for miles/km; does work with this particular speedo (old one).

So, now: should I put in the new cluster, change coding to kilometers, input new odometer reading in kilometers, from the old cluster and then change the coding back to usa/miles? So, theoretically; then that completes the milage coding process? Let me know; if this is where you were going and thinking; recommending I do... thanks! ...billy

Last edited:
Back