Audi TT mk1 roadster "catches" on tight turns -- haldex issue?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Question .....
Even when module is unplugged this thing still engages?
If so....how about with module removed and oil drained with short road test to observe?
We must isolate mechanicals from hydraulic circuit.

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
No it does not engage with fuse removed - turning feels perfect in that case.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Okay so when the module is powered it allows for activation.
I would swap module out or tank the old one and activate manually while verifying air path change in ultra sound tank.

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
I wish that swapping it out was easy. I have a hard time finding one for less than $300. As a test, that seems fairly expensive. Maybe I'll try to find someone locally who might have one.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Please get a shitty stove pan and boil the unit for 15 minutes rapid and simmer for 30 minutes in distilled water w- sodium hydroxide solution ( oven cleaner ) 50/50. ( Well vented or out on gas grille )

Rinse.........and dry and observing safety goggles and protective gear while handling corrosive base chemicals.

Further...........

Tanking the unit and soaking in mineral spirits over night in bucket might help.............. then lubricate with Kano Labs Sili kroil.

Reinstall & Report back......... :p

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
Thanks Jack. Will do.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Post an auto-scan please.........

The valves are clearly displayed.......you just fail to observe proper documentation.

https://s4.postimg.org/5wcapuojv/SSP_206_haldex_valves.jpg?dl=1

https://s4.postimg.org/ksatxfzyl/SSP_206_haldex_valves.jpg

SSP_206_haldex_valves.jpg

Last edited:

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
Thanks Jack - I've seen both those pics. The problem is not locating them, the problem is removing/servicing them.

1. In the clutch assembly, the document states they are not removable / serviceable. (these are my own words, but I quoted earlier)
2. In the controller, removing the circlip did not seem to free the valve, and I was concerned about how much pressure to apply given that I'd already broken 3 of the cover screws on the controller. (The ones on the plastic wire cover, not the overall metal cover)

I'll post an auto scan later, I still need to boil the unit.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I'll post an auto scan later, I still need to boil the unit.

Most evasive and cheap..........

Two words

heat gun

Two more..........

Freeze spray.

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
So I'm in the process of reassembling the haldex clutch, not having found specific issues but having created plenty for myself.

After re-assembling the haldex clutch, then doing a sanity check dis-assembly, I found I had bent two of the discs. (I've done a reasonable job of straightening them, not going to spend $350 for new disc pack right now)

The issue is that I didn't spend enough time lining up the inside and outside gears, and in retrospect it seems to be impossible to do while the differential is on the car because things will fall out of alignment or off the gears while trying to insert them. I've tried multiple times with the clutch pack and gears in the housing or on the

I have concluded I need to remove (or at least lower + angle?) the differential to reassemble the haldex clutch.

Agree/Disagree?

(I have the official instructions, but would love an online video or walkthrough if someone has it)

Thanks!

I hope to get this resolved before I hit the two month mark. :/

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
So I'm in the process of reassembling the haldex clutch, not having found specific issues but having created plenty for myself.

After re-assembling the haldex clutch, then doing a sanity check dis-assembly, I found I had bent two of the discs. (I've done a reasonable job of straightening them, not going to spend $350 for new disc pack right now)

The issue is that I didn't spend enough time lining up the inside and outside gears, and in retrospect it seems to be impossible to do while the differential is on the car because things will fall out of alignment or off the gears while trying to insert them. I've tried multiple times with the clutch pack and gears in the housing or on the

I have concluded I need to remove (or at least lower + angle?) the differential to reassemble the haldex clutch.

Agree/Disagree?

(I have the official instructions, but would love an online video or walkthrough if someone has it)

Thanks!

I hope to get this resolved before I hit the two month mark. :/

Not to be mean but practical........

First step ..........
Unbolt complete rear DIF and haldex assembly....
Next step......

Toss in dumpster......call LKQ and stop punishing yourself.

Quick examples.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-05-Audi-...ash=item2824d80ef8:g:LyEAAOSwGXtXguhJ&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-TT-mk1...ash=item4401c4e423:g:R7cAAOSwRUhY82qh&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
Thanks Jack. I did see that first auction already. The thought has crossed my mind, but if I'm taking out the differential, I've done half the work. I don't know... not ready to throw in the towel yet I think.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Thanks Jack. I did see that first auction already. The thought has crossed my mind, but if I'm taking out the differential, I've done half the work. I don't know... not ready to throw in the towel yet I think.

Well I congratulate you for the effort........

I like to assemble the unit on the engine stand with an adapter I made & always facing downward so shit doesn't fall out of the basket.

Seriously though........... the other way you can get extras and clean them up or resell what you don't need or use to recoup the catastrophe no?

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
Yes.. facing down would help immensely, and yes -- selling the extras had crossed my mind. :) I'll see if he's willing to come down at all.

Thanks.

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack - Thanks for the help and the kick in the direction that got this wrapped up,

I made an offer for the complete rear diff+haldex and the seller accepted. I ended up completing this work with some back and forth on audizine.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...val?p=12635414

Awesome thanks it just seemed like the cheapest fastest path....... :cool:

Back