View Poll Results: Let This Thread Live or Shut It Down?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let it Live!

14 87.50%
  • Kill it With Fire!

2 12.50%
Page 11 of 258 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The TRUMP POTUS "Tribute" & "Tribulations" of the Politically Incorrect....!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post

I don't think there should be any patent or ip protection for "IDEAS".

Only products.

Apple should not have a monopoly on rectangle shaped phones with smooth rounded corners, nor square icons with smooth rounded corners.
    D-Dub: Isn't this already assessed by your Patents-Office through the "invention" test - or am I missing the point (quite probably I am)?

Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I see your bet, and raise with a suggestion to base length of time on a sliding scale tied to either the applicant's size...or maybe the number of patents held? Reward the small inventor with a 25-year duration, and punish Apple with a 1-year duration? How about requiring annual renewals with a fee from the IP shops and large corporations? Just thinking out loud.....
    vreihen: How do you ensure that your suggestion only applies to the "commercial battler"? Why can't Apple simply start a $2 shelf company with only one patent - that looks like a small investor?
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

2. Likes vreihen, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have discovered through an anonymous tip that one of the big-3 TV network news departments is trying to put together a scare-mongering news story about Russian hackers infiltrating American businesses, schools, and government offices. My tipster gave me the name of one of the "experts" they are using. When I did a little bit of digging, I discovered that his firm's prestigious Manhattan address and 212 telephone number actually belong to a business renting mailbox/international forwarding services and voicemail boxes. The guy's name/firm pops up in Google on all kinds of press releases as an expert, which is making me seriously wonder if I just unearthed a fake news source that built up credibility with the press over time? Oh yeah, the company's domain name is registered through a hidden ownership service.....

4. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    [B]Trump: Mexico should cancel meeting if they won't pay for wall

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...wall/21663385/
    Jack: Just heard about the 20% tariff proposal on Mexican goods that I think turned into "one of many other suggestions being considered to pay for the wall" shortly after it was released. What's the general view in the streets up there about this?

Don

PS: Perhaps a topic that more appropriately should be had in the "Economics" thread

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes vreihen, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pot kettle black? #BlackKettlesMatter? Lock HIM up! Lock HIM up! Lock HIM up!!!!!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/trump-a...g-records-law/

Trump aides' use of encrypted messaging may violate records law
    Using disappearing messages in government could be a "recipe for corruption," says one expert.

By Zack Whittaker for Zero Day | January 27, 2017 -- 13:30 GMT (05:30 PST)

Senior Trump administration aides communicating over encrypted messaging apps may be violating federal record-keeping laws.

The Wall Street Journal reported that political aides close to the president are using Signal, an end-to-end encrypted messaging app. And it's not just in the White House. Aides close to the New York governor and the mayor and Obama administration staff also use the encrypted messaging app.

It's no secret that many in politics are taking security more seriously following the hacks that hit the Democratic National Committee, which led to the leaking of thousands of emails to WikiLeaks.

But by keeping those messages and communications private, top administration officials may be falling foul of the Presidential Records Act, a law that requires staff to keep records of those conversations.

"If new agency appointees are using Signal or other disappearing message apps routinely for work, even if it's not classified, that's a serious lapse in records retention policy," said Michael Morisy, founder of non-profit investigative news site MuckRock.

"Email retention is still a huge struggle, and I have a hard time believing that Signal messages are properly being archived," he added.

Alex Howard, deputy director of the Sunlight Foundation, called it a "recipe for corruption" and a "willful effort not to be held accountable."

"If you're a public official and you're using an encrypted messaging app, you're intentionally hiding from scrutiny," he said. "When you are a public servant, your work is in the public. Unless there is a compelling security reason it should be open."

He argued that the trouble with secure messaging is the retention. "It's a whole new challenge: Can you use something that intentionally can't be tracked?" he said.

Federal and presidential record-keeping isn't just another chore of being in high office, it's the law.

Every record, such as documents, memos, and even emails and instant messages of government business, has to be preserved by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) within a few days of its creation. That said, presidential records are treated slightly differently from federal records. Most of the president's senior aides are not subject to freedom of information requests until after the president leaves office, but they must still retain and archive their work communications for later release.

"Technically and legally, it's not something that's their choice," said Patrice McDermott, executive director of OpenTheGovernment.

While the records are kept for future transparency or in case of litigation, the archivists don't automatically keep track of every communication, she said.

There are policies that aim to help. An update to the law in 2014 expanded what tools federal employees can use, including a wide range of instant messaging and social media platforms for communication, but all messages must still be archived using "third-party services to capture messages, such as a service that captures all email, chat, and text messages created through agency-operated electronic messaging systems," according to a recent 2015 bulletin by NARA.

The problem is that end-to-end encrypted messaging apps by design make that capture process impossible, meaning much of the archiving or individual app backup effort would have to be self-policed.

"Encryption and messaging apps like Signal make life difficult for the archivists who are responsible for implementing those requirements," said Steven Aftergood, a government secrecy expert at the Federation of American Scientists, in an email.

He warned that aides using encrypted messaging apps can "make it easier to circumvent" those legal requirements without detection.

A White House spokesperson did not respond to our question about whether the Trump administration has set up data retention policies for its encrypted messaging use.

Tweets can be archived, papers can be stored, and government email accounts can be saved. But while messages apps need to be secure, reconciling that with a need to be transparent later on is a challenge in itself.

And while falling foul of those rules may lead to administrative sanctions or their eventual dismissal, Morisy says that if the problem isn't discovered until after they leave, there's "nothing that can usually be done."

"That's one good reason why this stuff should be highlighted sooner rather than later," he said.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack: Just heard about the 20% tariff proposal on Mexican goods that I think turned into "one of many other suggestions being considered to pay for the wall" shortly after it was released. What's the general view in the streets up there about this?

Don

PS: Perhaps a topic that more appropriately should be had in the "Economics" thread

Personally I'm for it......and people I run into seem to be for it too.

I think enough is enough, with those jobs that regular Americans don't want to do anyway........Bullshit! A job is a job and if you have one you should be happy you have it.
    You don't like it .........? If not in general not directed at you Donny......."Fuck off! I say" ........go get another one and stop your bitching!

Time for Government to ban the hiring of illegal undocumented workers, deport them and actually make employers that do hire them......... pay the piper if they do!

There you go "problem solved" they will leave on their own or get their ass in gear to get legalized.

Next!

Oh and the lettuce field or pumpkin patch isn't to be the listeria patch to take a shit in anymore either.

I see the poll closed and Democracy has run its course......./\
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

10. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I'm for it......and people I run into seem to be for it too.

I think enough is enough, with those jobs that regular Americans don't want to do anyway........Bullshit! A job is a job and if you have one you should be happy you have it.
    You don't like it .........? If not in general not directed at you Donny......."Fuck off! I say" ........go get another one and stop your bitching
    Jack: OK -so general acceptance on the streets of America because it promotes hiring of US citizens in preference to illegal immigrants. Press down here are saying that the illegal Mexicans are doing the jobs that US citizens don't want - guess another press error!

I'm trying to understand how imposing a 20% tariff on Mexican imports actually does that? I assume that it results in US goods becoming more viable locally and this is the intent of the strategy. But it's not clear to me how this results in Mexico paying for the wall.Yes, Mexico loses the sales -but I'm clearly missing a vital piece of information, because it appears (to me) that the end result is that the wall is being funded by US citizens who pay a 20% premium on goods that previously came from your southern boarders. As I said, I'm missing something

Don

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack: OK -so general acceptance on the streets of America because it promotes hiring of US citizens in preference to illegal immigrants. Press down here are saying that the illegal Mexicans are doing the jobs that US citizens don't want - guess another press error!
    Yup........and the press says that too but they are full of bullshit!
    There is nothing wrong with a landscaper, a car mechanic, factory worker, plumber, electrician, brick layer, or construction worker etc.. & the fact that you can go pick up illegal immigrants at the front of any Lowes or Home Depot in the AM, tells me that Immigration and naturalization "INS"...... isn't doing their job!
    I did all of these jobs as a kid, there is nothing demeaning about them and you want to see the opposite of PC .....? They are "not" jobs regular people don't want to do, they are jobs people don't want to do or cant get hired for & because the pay scale has dropped 3 fold, & this due to illegal labor.

I'm trying to understand how imposing a 20% tariff on Mexican imports actually does that? I assume that it results in US goods becoming more viable locally and this is the intent of the strategy. But it's not clear to me how this results in Mexico paying for the wall.Yes, Mexico loses the sales -but I'm clearly missing a vital piece of information, because it appears (to me) that the end result is that the wall is being funded by US citizens who pay a 20% premium on goods that previously came from your southern boarders. As I said, I'm missing something

Don
    Here is how.
    Work stays here and prices go up.....therefore quality products will be demanded when making a life investment.
    Standard of living will increase, because people are not buying new products 5-10 times as often in their lifetime and employment is more localized while a service economy flourishes with preventive maintenance and care as a consideration.
    You would be surprised how fast people will turn on foreign product in the USA as things get economically and politically worse from the already drain spiral in commenced process.
    Additionally people then set roots down verse becoming transients.

These strategy's properly deployed with technology and proper enforcement of all activates & boarders will result in a virtual wall my friend without a single brick needed!

I say make a no mans land designated area and have smart drones deployed that will detect anything & with ground penetrating radar, further destroying anyone that is unauthorized in the area.
    Don't worry about the eco or animals either, we can even make pet immune...... as this technology exists for 40 years.

NEXT!

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

Here's your dinner!

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 01-28-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

13. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is how.
    Work stays here and prices go up.....therefore quality products will be demanded when making a life investment.
    Standard of living will increase, because people are not buying new products 5-10 times as often in their lifetime and employment is more localized while a service economy flourishes with preventive maintenance and care as a consideration.
    You would be surprised how fast people will turn on foreign product in the USA as things get economically and politically worse from the already drain spiral in commenced process.
    Additionally people then set roots down verse becoming transients.

These strategy's properly deployed with technology and proper enforcement of all activates & boarders will result in a virtual wall my friend without a single brick needed!

I say make a no mans land designated area and have smart drones deployed that will detect anything & with ground penetrating radar, further destroying anyone that is unauthorized in the area.
    Don't worry about the eco or animals either, we can even make pet immune...... as this technology exists for 40 years.

NEXT!

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!
    Jack: I'm aware (and as I have said previously, I admire) your faith in the process of renewal of American manufacturing as you describe above, but I'm still at a loss to understand how this sequence-of-events results in Mexico paying for the wall. Perhaps my ignorance is just a foreigner thing!!

Thanks for responding

Don

15. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have experience with this up here in Canada. I supply equipment to heavy industrial customers...one of which is the Pulp & Paper Industry. It is probably getting close to two years now, but the US government imposed a countervailing duty on Canadian made paper. The reasoning was that several Canadian mills were unfairly subsidized by the Canadian government (usually in the way of cheap electric bills), and were therefore "dumping" cheap paper into the USA. This is obviously done to protect American companies which of course protects American jobs. One of the key instigators in all this IIRC was Madison Paper in Madison Maine, and I believe they ended up closing anyway, but still...the duty remains. It has affected my business, as the mills that are my customers have cancelled or put on hold any upgrades, renovations, or new equipment. It has all ground to a halt.
    Life rolls on.

However...as far as American's turning on foreign made products...I dunno Jack, there are many millions of Americans that still do, and will always, want cheap stuff. I personally would be quite happy to see plywood on the windows of every Wal-Mart in North America...but that would cause riots in the streets all on it's own.

So, if there was a 20% tariff or tax on Mexican products, what would that mean for the Puebla built VW sales in the US?
    Late build 2006 White Jetta BRM 5spd. Mile eater.

17. Likes vreihen liked this post