Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to code out/remove air bag control module

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinsX View Post
    Does this ECU came together with Your engine? What are engine code letters? (We can't get any info about your engine from VIN because engine is fitted from another car).
    Setting Readiness in general means to run several built-in tests, in engine electronics, mainly exhaust/ecology related. Each specific engine may have slightly different readiness sequence. Even engines with the same code letters but different ECU sw versions may have slightly different readiness sequence. If original software is modified (chiptuning), it may not be possible to run readiness tests at all.
    Yes ECU is the correct one for the engine as far as I am aware (Engine code is BJX).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 200tgreg View Post
    On a VCDS scan I have the following;

18017 - Crash Shut-Down Activated
    P1609 - 35-00
    I assume you've tried to clear this, and it won't go away?

That code means something very specific. It's NOT complaining about a comms failure with your missing airbag control module, which is something of a surprise. It IS complaining that it's received a crash signal, an instruction to stop the engine immediately. That message can be delivered via powertrain CAN message, or the dedicated crash signal wire. Since you removed the airbag module, there's no way the powertrain CAN message is being sent. So this trigger can only come from something on the signal wire.

Get a wiring diagram for the engine/ECU donor vehicle, and identify the pin that used to be wired to the airbag module. The same wire may appear at the CCM/BCM (to unlock the doors and turn on interior lighting) and may also appear at the hazard light switch (to turn on your hazard lights). Look for an accidental short to ground or B+ on that pin, somewhere in the ECU harness, created during your transplant work.

Jason

3. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or fault was stored while engine was in his original car. And that car was crashed.

P.S. BJX engines are produced from MY2004, that time diagnostic procedures (including readiness setting sequence) were not published in manuals (ELSA) anymore, they were implemented in original dealers scan tool (VAS-PC).

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    I assume you've tried to clear this, and it won't go away?

That code means something very specific. It's NOT complaining about a comms failure with your missing airbag control module, which is something of a surprise. It IS complaining that it's received a crash signal, an instruction to stop the engine immediately. That message can be delivered via powertrain CAN message, or the dedicated crash signal wire. Since you removed the airbag module, there's no way the powertrain CAN message is being sent. So this trigger can only come from something on the signal wire.

Get a wiring diagram for the engine/ECU donor vehicle, and identify the pin that used to be wired to the airbag module. The same wire may appear at the CCM/BCM (to unlock the doors and turn on interior lighting) and may also appear at the hazard light switch (to turn on your hazard lights). Look for an accidental short to ground or B+ on that pin, somewhere in the ECU harness, created during your transplant work.

Jason
    Ok, so the issue isn't as I expected where the car can't find the airbag controller, in fact it isn't even complaining about that which is weird but instead got this crash signal error. Yes I have tried to clear the error but doesn't go away.
    It could be wiring, most of it has been stripped out/stripped back. There's no A/C, got some issue with back lighting on buttons and the cluster which we are in the process of working through. I know most of the history of the car and I don't believe it has been crashed. I also believe this issue wasn't there originally after doing the work as the person who built the car (and who I got it from) was running it fine and advised this error only started a few months ago. That would make sense with being wiring then.

Or fault was stored while engine was in his original car. And that car was crashed.

P.S. BJX engines are produced from MY2004, that time diagnostic procedures (including readiness setting sequence) were not published in manuals (ELSA) anymore, they were implemented in original dealers scan tool (VAS-PC).
    Thank you for all your help and input

6. Likes Dana, jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could be, but this particular code in 01-Engine should be clearable, unlike a "crash data stored" DTC in 15-Airbags which can't be cleared by conventional means. I've seen and cleared this code myself when doing an output test in 15-Airbags on a VW of similar age, when I was a little younger and more willing to press buttons I really shouldn't.

The OP has clarified that clearing codes doesn't make this go away. My hypothesis is the code can be cleared just fine, but is being stored again immediately, because the crash signal line wiring fault is still present and raising the crash stop signal. Unfortunately I don't know what signal-state indicates a crash on that line (float, pull to ground, pull to B+, ?) but I imagine OP's car has it shorted to something.

Quote Originally Posted by 200tgreg View Post
    It could be wiring, most of it has been stripped out/stripped back. There's no A/C, got some issue with back lighting on buttons and the cluster which we are in the process of working through. I know most of the history of the car and I don't believe it has been crashed. I also believe this issue wasn't there originally after doing the work as the person who built the car (and who I got it from) was running it fine and advised this error only started a few months ago. That would make sense with being wiring then.
    You might also try disconnecting your hazard switch, just as a quick and easy diagnostic to rule it out. We've had at least two reports, from other owners, of a bad/wrong hazard switch feeding back a signal on that line. In their case, the chief complaint came from their CCM/BCM misbehaving, but IMO it's still worth checking.

Thread 1 link: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...e-crash-signal

Thread 2 link: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...o-crash-signal

Jason

8. Likes Dana, Uwe liked this post
    VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you (or somebody) changed coding in [03-ABS] ?
    Try this coding for ABS: 0002241

10. Likes Dana, jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sending Control Module Maps from the ECM would be highly appreciated as MartinsX mentioned. Instructions are located here: Control Module Maps

In the meanwhile the AWP 1.8T (20V) 180 hp transverse mounted engine was used from 2002-2005 in the NAR market. You could open the 06A-906-032-AWP.lbl label file located in the C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels and red it in plain text (Notepad) -or- rename that file to 06A-906-032-QN.lbl so it loads while you are connected to the vehicle with VCDS. That'll give you the standardized Basic Setting group numbers and Readiness achievement self-test routine which is worth testing on this vehicle.

However, if you do rename the file we would really like to see a set of control module maps without the file so run them first. A repeat set with the label couldn't hurt if you have time to re-map it.

P.S. I believe Jason's hazard switch suggestion is worth a shot. That was a common 1.8T Audi TT issue when the hazard switch or related wiring failed resulting in 01-Engine, 15-Airbag and 35-Cent locking crash faults.

12. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NEtech View Post
    Have you (or somebody) changed coding in [03-ABS] ?
    Try this coding for ABS: 0002241
    Can you please advise what this changes to as there is no pop up with info on?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Sending Control Module Maps from the ECM would be highly appreciated as MartinsX mentioned. Instructions are located here: Control Module Maps

In the meanwhile the AWP 1.8T (20V) 180 hp transverse mounted engine was used from 2002-2005 in the NAR market. You could open the 06A-906-032-AWP.lbl label file located in the C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels and red it in plain text (Notepad) -or- rename that file to 06A-906-032-QN.lbl so it loads while you are connected to the vehicle with VCDS. That'll give you the standardized Basic Setting group numbers and Readiness achievement self-test routine which is worth testing on this vehicle.

However, if you do rename the file we would really like to see a set of control module maps without the file so run them first. A repeat set with the label couldn't hurt if you have time to re-map it.

P.S. I believe Jason's hazard switch suggestion is worth a shot. That was a common 1.8T Audi TT issue when the hazard switch or related wiring failed resulting in 01-Engine, 15-Airbag and 35-Cent locking crash faults.
    I've gone through the procedure and have sent it off to support. Thank you for the info

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just tried unplugging the hazard switch but unfortunately still have the same error. I can't clear it either, or as mentioned before it might be clearing but popping straight back. Will be going through all the wiring at the weekend and see if this is where the issue is.