200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
Hi everyone,

Merry 2017 and all that :)

I need some help - I have a Skoda Fabia which is running a 1.8t engine, ECU etc from a Seat Ibiza. The car is a track toy more than anything, and weighs around 1080kg. There are no airbags and the air bag control module has been removed.

On a VCDS scan I have the following;

18017 - Crash Shut-Down Activated
P1609 - 35-00

Is it possible with VCDS or who can I speak to to be able to disable/remove the control module so the car knows it doesn't have any airbags/airbag controller?

**I know you can disable individual air bags, but I need to disable the control module**

Thank you in advance :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Something here doesn't make sense. First you say, "the air bag control module has been removed." Then, "I need to disable the control module".

Please shed some light on the configuration you have here by posting a complete Auto-Scan.

-Uwe-

200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
Something here doesn't make sense. First you say, "the air bag control module has been removed." Then, "I need to disable the control module".

Please shed some light on the configuration you have here by posting a complete Auto-Scan.

-Uwe-

Was just busy doing a scan to post :) There is physically no airbags and no airbag control module in the car.

Code:
Tuesday,10,January,2017,21:51:11:10549
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.1.0.0 (x64)
Data version: 20170106 DS267.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: TMBND46Y354216309   License Plate: 

Chassis Type: 6Y (6L - Seat Ibiza/Cordoba (2002 > 2009))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 15 17 19 25 37 44 46 55 56

VIN: TMBND46Y354216309   Mileage: 149170km-92689miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: None
   Part No: 06A 906 032 QN
   Component: 1.8I R4/5VT         0020  
   Coding: 11500
   Shop #: WSC 33278  
   VCID: 7AFBC81D66F66C9181-5140
   VSSZZZ6LZ6R093968     SEZ7Z0E3245771

2 Faults Found:
            P1609 - 35-00 - 
18043 - Powertrain Data Bus 
            P1635 - 35-00 - Missing Message from A/C Controller
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 6R0-907-37x-ASR80.lbl
   Part No SW: 6Q0 907 379 AG    HW: 6Q0 907 379 AG
   Component: MABS 8.0 front  H04 0002  
   Revision: 00000000    Serial number: 00000000000000
   Coding: 0002229
   Shop #: WSC 06403 785 00200
   VCID: 020BB0FD5E262451D9-5124

2 Faults Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module 
            000 -  -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 234
                    Mileage: 149176 km
                    Time Indication: 0

18055 - Check Coding of ECUs on Powertrain Data Bus 
            P1647 - 000 - 
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 194
                    Mileage: 149176 km
                    Time Indication: 0

Address 09: Cent. Elect.        Labels: 6Qx-937-049-C.lbl
   Part No: 6Q1 937 049 D
   Component: 0000 BN-SG.         1S34  
   Coding: 16520
   Shop #: WSC 06402  
   VCID: 3C770E052C4292A1D3-5124

1 Fault Found:
00969 - Fuse for Heated Rear Window (S41) 
            37-00 - Faulty

Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 6Y0-920-xx0-17.lbl
   Part No: 6Y0 920 981 B
   Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V02  
   Coding: 00401
   Shop #: WSC 13765  
   VCID: 3E73040D3A5E80B1FD-5124
   TMBND46Y354216309     SKZ7Z0D2602261

2 Faults Found:
01128 - Immobilizer Pickup Coil (D2) 
            35-00 -  - 
01176 - Key 
            07-00 - Signal too Low

Address 19: CAN Gateway        Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
   Part No: 6N0 909 901 
   Component: 006A GATEWAY CAN    1S34  
   Coding: 00010
   Shop #: WSC 12345  
   VCID: 70EFEA35308A26C13F-5140

No fault code found.

Address 44: Steering Assist        Labels: 6Q0-423-156.clb
   Part No: 6Q0 423 156 M
   Component: LenkhilfeTRW        V210  
   Coding: 00121
   Shop #: WSC 13765  
   VCID: 397917112370A789C8-5140

No fault code found.

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 03:41)--------------------------

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Give the above a try, but I'm skeptical (note that Readiness is already showing all "pass"). I suspect the the ECU software isn't likely to accept the lack of an airbag since airbags were not optional.

-Uwe-

200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
Thank you both.
Trying that procedure but security access is greyed out. Do I need to log in first and if so any idea what the code is?

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Give the above a try, but I'm skeptical (note that Readiness is already showing all "pass"). I suspect the the ECU software isn't likely to accept the lack of an airbag since airbags were not optional.

-Uwe-

I guess this ECU already has modified software. At least "immo off". So by my opinion there are 3 things to try:
- just clear codes and try to go through readiness setting procedure,
- connect airbag module to Powertrain CAN line, and then do the process above, after removal of 18017 fault code disconnect airbag module;
- find a chiptuner who is able to modify original sw of ecu to remove airbag and and ac.

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Thank you both.
Trying that procedure but security access is greyed out. Do I need to log in first and if so any idea what the code is?

You do not need security access for "Set readiness" process, you need to run several basic settings in several channels in correct sequence. Unfortunately there is no label file for this particular ECU in VCDS at the moment. So VCDS will not guide You how to do the "Set readiness" process. You have to wait for RT team to release label file for this ECU or try with some another diagnostic equipment. You can help RT team in process of creating new label files by sending adaption and MVB channel maps from Your ECU together with autoscan to support@ross-tech.com

200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
I guess this ECU already has modified software. At least "immo off". So by my opinion there are 3 things to try:
- just clear codes and try to go through readiness setting procedure,
- connect airbag module to Powertrain CAN line, and then do the process above, after removal of 18017 fault code disconnect airbag module;
- find a chiptuner who is able to modify original sw of ecu to remove airbag and and ac.

Yes, currently running a stage 1 map with immo disabled. Have you got a link to the Set Readiness procedure at all? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, still learning!)

You do not need security access for "Set readiness" process, you need to run several basic settings in several channels in correct sequence. Unfortunately there is no label file for this particular ECU in VCDS at the moment. So VCDS will not guide You how to do the "Set readiness" process. You have to wait for RT team to release label file for this ECU or try with some another diagnostic equipment. You can help RT team in process of creating new label files by sending adaption and MVB channel maps from Your ECU together with autoscan to support@ross-tech.com

I don't mind helping out, are there any instructions anywhere on what the RT team will need and how I get that info? If not, I will email and enquire.

Thanks again :)

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Does this ECU came together with Your engine? What are engine code letters? (We can't get any info about your engine from VIN because engine is fitted from another car).
Setting Readiness in general means to run several built-in tests, in engine electronics, mainly exhaust/ecology related. Each specific engine may have slightly different readiness sequence. Even engines with the same code letters but different ECU sw versions may have slightly different readiness sequence. If original software is modified (chiptuning), it may not be possible to run readiness tests at all.

Reactions: Uwe

200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
Does this ECU came together with Your engine? What are engine code letters? (We can't get any info about your engine from VIN because engine is fitted from another car).
Setting Readiness in general means to run several built-in tests, in engine electronics, mainly exhaust/ecology related. Each specific engine may have slightly different readiness sequence. Even engines with the same code letters but different ECU sw versions may have slightly different readiness sequence. If original software is modified (chiptuning), it may not be possible to run readiness tests at all.

Yes ECU is the correct one for the engine as far as I am aware (Engine code is BJX).

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
On a VCDS scan I have the following;

P1609 - 35-00
I assume you've tried to clear this, and it won't go away?

That code means something very specific. It's NOT complaining about a comms failure with your missing airbag control module, which is something of a surprise. It IS complaining that it's received a crash signal, an instruction to stop the engine immediately. That message can be delivered via powertrain CAN message, or the dedicated crash signal wire. Since you removed the airbag module, there's no way the powertrain CAN message is being sent. So this trigger can only come from something on the signal wire.

Get a wiring diagram for the engine/ECU donor vehicle, and identify the pin that used to be wired to the airbag module. The same wire may appear at the CCM/BCM (to unlock the doors and turn on interior lighting) and may also appear at the hazard light switch (to turn on your hazard lights). Look for an accidental short to ground or B+ on that pin, somewhere in the ECU harness, created during your transplant work.

Jason

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Or fault was stored while engine was in his original car. And that car was crashed.

P.S. BJX engines are produced from MY2004, that time diagnostic procedures (including readiness setting sequence) were not published in manuals (ELSA) anymore, they were implemented in original dealers scan tool (VAS-PC).

200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
I assume you've tried to clear this, and it won't go away?

That code means something very specific. It's NOT complaining about a comms failure with your missing airbag control module, which is something of a surprise. It IS complaining that it's received a crash signal, an instruction to stop the engine immediately. That message can be delivered via powertrain CAN message, or the dedicated crash signal wire. Since you removed the airbag module, there's no way the powertrain CAN message is being sent. So this trigger can only come from something on the signal wire.

Get a wiring diagram for the engine/ECU donor vehicle, and identify the pin that used to be wired to the airbag module. The same wire may appear at the CCM/BCM (to unlock the doors and turn on interior lighting) and may also appear at the hazard light switch (to turn on your hazard lights). Look for an accidental short to ground or B+ on that pin, somewhere in the ECU harness, created during your transplant work.

Jason

Ok, so the issue isn't as I expected where the car can't find the airbag controller, in fact it isn't even complaining about that which is weird but instead got this crash signal error. Yes I have tried to clear the error but doesn't go away.
It could be wiring, most of it has been stripped out/stripped back. There's no A/C, got some issue with back lighting on buttons and the cluster which we are in the process of working through. I know most of the history of the car and I don't believe it has been crashed. I also believe this issue wasn't there originally after doing the work as the person who built the car (and who I got it from) was running it fine and advised this error only started a few months ago. That would make sense with being wiring then.

Or fault was stored while engine was in his original car. And that car was crashed.

P.S. BJX engines are produced from MY2004, that time diagnostic procedures (including readiness setting sequence) were not published in manuals (ELSA) anymore, they were implemented in original dealers scan tool (VAS-PC).

Thank you for all your help and input :)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Could be, but this particular code in 01-Engine should be clearable, unlike a "crash data stored" DTC in 15-Airbags which can't be cleared by conventional means. I've seen and cleared this code myself when doing an output test in 15-Airbags on a VW of similar age, when I was a little younger and more willing to press buttons I really shouldn't. :o

The OP has clarified that clearing codes doesn't make this go away. My hypothesis is the code can be cleared just fine, but is being stored again immediately, because the crash signal line wiring fault is still present and raising the crash stop signal. Unfortunately I don't know what signal-state indicates a crash on that line (float, pull to ground, pull to B+, ?) but I imagine OP's car has it shorted to something.

It could be wiring, most of it has been stripped out/stripped back. There's no A/C, got some issue with back lighting on buttons and the cluster which we are in the process of working through. I know most of the history of the car and I don't believe it has been crashed. I also believe this issue wasn't there originally after doing the work as the person who built the car (and who I got it from) was running it fine and advised this error only started a few months ago. That would make sense with being wiring then.
You might also try disconnecting your hazard switch, just as a quick and easy diagnostic to rule it out. We've had at least two reports, from other owners, of a bad/wrong hazard switch feeding back a signal on that line. In their case, the chief complaint came from their CCM/BCM misbehaving, but IMO it's still worth checking.

Thread 1 link: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...soft-coding-seat-occupancy-false-crash-signal

Thread 2 link: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3178-1366-open-due-to-crash-signal

Jason

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Have you (or somebody) changed coding in [03-ABS] ?
Try this coding for ABS: 0002241

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Sending Control Module Maps from the ECM would be highly appreciated as MartinsX mentioned. Instructions are located here: Control Module Maps

In the meanwhile the AWP 1.8T (20V) 180 hp transverse mounted engine was used from 2002-2005 in the NAR market. You could open the 06A-906-032-AWP.lbl label file located in the C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels and red it in plain text (Notepad) -or- rename that file to 06A-906-032-QN.lbl so it loads while you are connected to the vehicle with VCDS. That'll give you the standardized Basic Setting group numbers and Readiness achievement self-test routine which is worth testing on this vehicle.

However, if you do rename the file we would really like to see a set of control module maps without the file so run them first. A repeat set with the label couldn't hurt if you have time to re-map it.

P.S. I believe Jason's hazard switch suggestion is worth a shot. That was a common 1.8T Audi TT issue when the hazard switch or related wiring failed resulting in 01-Engine, 15-Airbag and 35-Cent locking crash faults.

200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
Have you (or somebody) changed coding in [03-ABS] ?
Try this coding for ABS: 0002241

Can you please advise what this changes to as there is no pop up with info on?

200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
Sending Control Module Maps from the ECM would be highly appreciated as MartinsX mentioned. Instructions are located here: Control Module Maps

In the meanwhile the AWP 1.8T (20V) 180 hp transverse mounted engine was used from 2002-2005 in the NAR market. You could open the 06A-906-032-AWP.lbl label file located in the C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels and red it in plain text (Notepad) -or- rename that file to 06A-906-032-QN.lbl so it loads while you are connected to the vehicle with VCDS. That'll give you the standardized Basic Setting group numbers and Readiness achievement self-test routine which is worth testing on this vehicle.

However, if you do rename the file we would really like to see a set of control module maps without the file so run them first. A repeat set with the label couldn't hurt if you have time to re-map it.

P.S. I believe Jason's hazard switch suggestion is worth a shot. That was a common 1.8T Audi TT issue when the hazard switch or related wiring failed resulting in 01-Engine, 15-Airbag and 35-Cent locking crash faults.

I've gone through the procedure and have sent it off to support. Thank you for the info :)

200tgreg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238343
Just tried unplugging the hazard switch but unfortunately still have the same error. I can't clear it either, or as mentioned before it might be clearing but popping straight back. Will be going through all the wiring at the weekend and see if this is where the issue is.

Back