VIN-Limited Interface FAQ

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Think my post disappeared , I have a genuine vcds cable from ilexa purchased a few years ago Hex Usb Can which I assume is unlimited , is there a better/newer cable than this? I'm running newest software
Correct, the HEX-USB+CAN interfaces did not have VIN limitations. However, they do have some compatibility problems with certain 2016 and newer models, and all future development of VCDS is focused on the newer interfaces. That means support for new platforms, new control modules, and new features added to the software will, for the most part, require the new interfaces.

A HEX-V2 or HEX-NET will be quite a bit faster on modern, CAN based cars (i.e. most cars made in the last 10-12 years).

Ilexa does offer some trade-in credit for their existing customers toward a new interface.

Whether there is a compelling reason for you to upgrade at this time, I can't say. This primarily depends on what kind of car(s) you're working on.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

jamesorlakin

Reaction score
Hi Uwe,

I've got a HEX-V2 on its way through Gendan.

I was just wondering whether only looking at the available coding and adaptation options would count towards the VIN limit? Or would it only count once I press "Do it!" and actually change something?

Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I was just wondering whether only looking at the available coding and adaptation options would count towards the VIN limit? Or would it only count once I press "Do it!" and actually change something?
The latter. You can look at Long Codings and Adaptations all you want. It is only when you save/store a change that you're required to register a VIN against the license. If you select [No], your change will not be saved.

Note that if when you access a module directly (i.e. outside of the Auto-Scan function), you'll be asked if you want to register that car's VIN. You can select [No] at that point and still get in.

-Uwe-

Chopperman

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Passat TDi Pd that has been causing me lots of grief and now will not start after replacing lots of electrical components. Before throwing in the towel and scrapping the car, I want to check the Cam/PD injection timing. Would this use up one of my VIN number?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have a 2003 Passat TDi Pd that has been causing me lots of grief and now will not start after replacing lots of electrical components. Before throwing in the towel and scrapping the car, I want to check the Cam/PD injection timing. Would this use up one of my VIN number?
Since it's a PD, I don't think you need Basic Settings to do this, so the answer should be "No, it won't".

Remember, VCDS will always ask you before it registered a VIN against your license. So if in doubt, click [No] (which is the default).

-Uwe-

thefukingod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=138511 (NRRT)
Hi all i have just bought a used (2 months old) 3 vin hex v2 that i was offered for a silly cheap price, i have regiestered it to myself, what i want to ask can i upgrade the vins direct to unlimited & do i need to do it before i reach my max 3 vins or can it be done any time.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi all i have just bought a used (2 months old) 3 vin hex v2 that i was offered for a silly cheap price, i have regiestered it to myself, what i want to ask can i upgrade the vins direct to unlimited & do i need to do it before i reach my max 3 vins or can it be done any time.
It can be done at any time.

If you want to go from 3-VIN directly to Unlimited, order qty 2. of this item.

-Uwe-

thefukingod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=138511 (NRRT)
It can be done at any time.

If you want to go from 3-VIN directly to Unlimited, order qty 2. of this item.

-Uwe-

Hi uwe thats great ill be getting it done asap thanks for the reply :thumbs:

colinb

Reaction score
Thanks Uwe, so regarding the crafter question is the latest plug in able to sort the crafter please.
Colinb.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS will talk to most every module in that Crafter, but we don't have much in the way of documentation for those modules that are from MBZ rather than VAG.

-Uwe-

Fabio_89

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Hi,

I'm from Brazil, i'm looking for buy Hex-V2 interface, but i have one question about language. The cable runs other languages like ENG and PTT or need specific cable for each software languages ?

Thanks

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
The cable isn't specific to any language, just install the desired language version of the VCDS software - but when posting here always use the English version (which can co-exist with other language versions of VCDS on the same PC).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The cable isn't specific to any language, just install the desired language version of the VCDS software - but when posting here always use the English version (which can co-exist with other language versions of VCDS on the same PC).
That's not quite correct. They are all licensed for English. However, only cables sold by the distributor for another language (who makes the translation into that language) are licensed for another language like Portuguese. Thus a cable purchased from a RT directly in the US or from a UK distributor will not will not work with the Portuguese (or any other translation such as German). However, a cable purchased from any distributor will work with the standard English version.

-Uwe-

Fabio_89

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
That's not quite correct. They are all licensed for English. However, only cables sold by the distributor for another language (who makes the translation into that language) are licensed for another language like Portuguese. Thus a cable purchased from a RT directly in the US or from a UK distributor will not will not work with the Portuguese (or any other translation such as German). However, a cable purchased from any distributor will work with the standard English version.

-Uwe-

Understood. Thank you!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Thanks for the correction - as I only use cables purchased direct from Ross-Tech I assumed (oh dear!)....

Reactions: Uwe

Xmasbeer

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about upgrading.

Is there an option to go from 3 VIN up to unlimited VIN, or is it only one time upgrade from 3 to 10 or 10 to unlimited?
I plan to use it on just my car, but I have a suspicion that as soon as I reprogram auto start/stop function on my car, then all my friends, colleagues and their grandmothers will want me to do the same on their VW/Audi. So it's just about future proofing of the equipment I guess.

Also is upgrading just an online transaction and registration?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi, I have a question about upgrading.
Is there an option to go from 3 VIN up to unlimited VIN, or is it only one time upgrade from 3 to 10 or 10 to unlimited?
If you wish to go directly from 3-VIN to Unlimited, change the Quantity to 2 on this page before you [Add to cart]:
https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN

Also is upgrading just an online transaction and registration?
Correct, it is an on-line transaction. But it is not automated; it must be processed by a human being, please so allow at least a full business day. You will be e-mailed a Feature Code that must be entered into VCIConfig while your interface is plugged into your computer and your computer is on-line and can talk to our server.

-Uwe-

Xmasbeer

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. That was the last bit of uncertainty cleared up. Looking forward to my Hex V2 now.

jagpurr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275617
Hi Uwe,

Probably seems like a stupid question, but I need clarification please.

I am purchasing a Audi 2017 Q7 4M platform.
I understand that there is at least one module that my old HEX-USB-CAN interface will not support.
I have decided to purchase a newer interface because of this.
My question, Does the HEX-V2-USB interface have the same capability as the HEX-NET apart from the Wi-Fi and Mobile app functions.
It's just that I don't want to spend the extra £125 ( UK ) for the HEX-NET if its just for functions I will never use. I'm quite happy plugging into my laptop!
Like wise I don't want to save £125 just to find that I still cannot talk to my new car.

Thanks

Apologies if this is completely in the wrong post but I don't know how to move it.

Last edited:
Back