Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: VIN-Limited Interface FAQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've edited the first post in this thread. Under What functions are VIN-Restricted?, it used to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    In addition, directly accessing a control module outside of an Auto-Scan will prompt the user whether he wants to "register" that car's VIN, but declining to do so at that point will not prevent access to the module.
    I've now added the following to that paragraph:
    The same is true for the "Clear All DTCs" function. It will ask whether you wish to register a VIN, but declining to do so will not prevent the function from working.
    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes sparkymark75, Mike@Gendan, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Mike - you appear to be (incorrectly) assuming that I have an unlimited VIN interface, I don't! The only time I have seen that popup is when I've used VCDS the first time on a car I've just bought.
    I was directing that more towards Don, but you've actually proved my point.
    As an experienced user who spends so much (helpful) time on the forums, you are unusually familiar with the fact that VIN popups appear for this kind of thing.

As you said though, you've only ever seen it once on each new car you've bought. If it wasn't for your time helping out on the forums, would you even know this was an issue?
    The vast majority of users will not come across this foible, and even if they do most will not think it a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    That's fine if you are a confident user, but it's an inescapable fact that not all people are that confident (especially new users and even some long time users) and could easily assume that if they don't enter a VIN and instead hit Cancel then the Clear All DTCs won't execute.
    If you're worried DTCs will be cleared when you expect them not to be, from the flow of message windows Andy posted up, by the time you see a VIN prompt you've already been asked twice "Are you SURE"?
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here.....

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've edited the first post in this thread. Under What functions are VIN-Restricted?, it used to say:

I've now added the following to that paragraph:

-Uwe-
    Thanks Uwe. It would be useful if the UI in future revisions of the software could be updated to also make it clearer as (unfortunately) not everyone will read the FAQ.

6. Likes PetrolDave, Mari liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan View Post
    The vast majority of users will not come across this foible, and even if they do most will not think it a problem.
    As a senior development engineer at Ford Research at Dunton in Essex said to me "when something goes wrong someone will tell seven times more people than when it works as expected".

Small, apparently unimportant, things like this can cause sufficient reputational damage than the effort in changing/fixing them is money/time well spent.

8. Likes Mari liked this post