VIN-Limited Interface FAQ

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My question, Does the HEX-V2-USB interface have the same capability as the HEX-NET apart from the Wi-Fi and Mobile app functions.
Yes. A HEX-V2 is functionally the same as a HEX-NET that is being used with VCDS via USB. Of course it lacks WiFi capabilities and VCDS-Mobile. There is also one other exception: The HEX-V2 does not support Lamborghini. :)

-Uwe-

jagpurr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275617
Thank you!

I'm clear now, doubt I'll ever be able to afford one of those anyhow!
Ordering a HEX-V2 today.

Cheers.

Reactions: Uwe

A7_Driver

Reaction score
Hi, i see a few local adverts claiming to be selling genuine HEX-V2 an v18.9 VCDS software. I enquired out of curiosity and was told the hardware was fixed to the software, i.e. it’ll only work with the exact software version they supply them with, but unlimited otherwise.

Here is an example

Are these genuine do you think ? I’m thinking probably not !

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Hi, i see a few local adverts claiming to be selling genuine HEX-V2 an v18.9 VCDS software. I enquired out of curiosity and was told the hardware was fixed to the software, i.e. it’ll only work with the exact software version they supply them with, but unlimited otherwise.
If the hardware is fixed to the software version supplied then they are not genuine, since genuine Ross-Tech cables are NOT fixed to a software version.

Report the sellers to your local Trading Standards or equivalent as a seller of counterfeit goods.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Here is an example

Are these genuine do you think ? I’m thinking probably not !
Definitely not genuine. Serial number all zeros. "Panda" CD. And then there's the price that's simply too "good to be true".

-Uwe-

A7_Driver

Reaction score
Definitely not genuine. Serial number all zeros. "Panda" CD. And then there's the price that's simply too "good to be true".

-Uwe-

Well I wouldn’t mind the zeros on serial number, the official store shows them like that too, but yes I’d agree everything else screams non-genuine. Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well I wouldn’t mind the zeros on serial number, the official store shows them like that too
Yes, it does. That's where they got it. But those photos were of a "dummy" interface with no working parts in it. And they copied from that. :D

-Uwe-

Paulo Afonso bate fino

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=367838
bom dia !
eu consigo fazer a troca de uma ECU do motor de um FOX 2015 ref bosch ME 17.5.24 com meu VCDS HEX-V2 ?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
bom dia !
eu consigo fazer a troca de uma ECU do motor de um FOX 2015 ref bosch ME 17.5.24 com meu VCDS HEX-V2 ?

"Exchange of a motor ECU"?

Unlikely. I expect this has to be done on-line to VW's servers.

-Uwe-

ADRIANA DELGADO

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
I guess you need to read it very careful all it again:

Can I upgrade a 3-VIN license to 10 VINs, or a 10-VIN license to Unlimited?
Yes, absolutely. There's a provision for that in our store.

GOOD DAY, THAT GOOD NOTICE THAT IN HIS STORES HAVE THE PROVISION TO DO THAT UPDATE BECAUSE I ALSO NEED IT, SOON VISIARE GREETINGS.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
GOOD DAY, THAT GOOD NOTICE THAT IN HIS STORES HAVE THE PROVISION TO DO THAT UPDATE BECAUSE I ALSO NEED IT, SOON VISIARE GREETINGS.
I see this is your first post, welcome! :thumbs:

Note: Posting in ALL CAPS is seen as shouting so please make sure your CAPS LOCK is turned off :cool:

Onku

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287251
Yes. A HEX-V2 is functionally the same as a HEX-NET that is being used with VCDS via USB. Of course it lacks WiFi capabilities and VCDS-Mobile. There is also one other exception: The HEX-V2 does not support Lamborghini. :)

-Uwe-
Hi Uwe
Can you please explain this ? If the functionality from the HEX-V2 is identical with HEX-NET (beside VCDS-Mobile & WLAN) why is the HEX-V2 not able to communicate with Lamborghini ?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Hi Uwe
Can you please explain this ? If the functionality from the HEX-V2 is identical with HEX-NET (beside VCDS-Mobile & WLAN) why is the HEX-V2 not able to communicate with Lamborghini ?

Uwe did not say the HEX-V2 is "Identical" to the HEX-NET. He said it was "functionally the same" with the exceptions of lacking WiFi, VCDS-Mobile and Lambo support. Business reasons and product positioning are the reasons we do not support these with the HEX-V2.

Best,

Bruce
Director of Operations, Marketing and Sales

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Here's some screenshots of the VIN dialog when using the Clear All DTC's function, for future posterity:

EgunNcw.png

FXx1R0e.png

gwxXUYg.png

uEoDEuz.png

v3su890.png

sparkymark75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=368094
Here's some screenshots of the VIN dialog when using the Clear All DTC's function, for future posterity:

EgunNcw.png

FXx1R0e.png

gwxXUYg.png

uEoDEuz.png

v3su890.png

This seems to conflict with this on the first post...

What functions are not VIN-Restricted?
A VIN-Limited interface can do Auto-Scans, Clear DTCs, and look at Measuring Values on an unlimited number of cars. I think this is important because I wouldn't want to keep an enthusiast from doing basic diagnostics on his friends' cars, or to use his VCDS when evaluating used cars he's contemplating buying. You wouldn't buy a used car without doing an Auto-Scan on it first, right? In addition, you can make channel maps on an unlimited number of cars because sending us those maps helps us improve the product.

Which is why I was confused when I went to clear the DTCs on my wifes car and had to register its VIN on my 3 VIN cable.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I believe this applies to "Clear All" command.

Clearing each individual module doesn't lock vin?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Even "Clear All" doesn't actually require you to register a VIN. You can [Cancel] and it will still work.

-Uwe-

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
If its actually NOT required to register a VIN, why does the software ask to do so? One moment of inattention and you have lost 1 VIN... Luckily I have bought an unlimited VIN interface ;)

Back