Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 94

Thread: VIN-Limited Interface FAQ

  1. #81
    VCDS Distributor Mike@Gendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Swansea, UK
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mari View Post
    If its actually NOT required to register a VIN, why does the software ask to do so? One moment of inattention and you have lost 1 VIN... Luckily I have bought an unlimited VIN interface
    It takes more than inattention - you need to manually enter the last 3 digits of the VIN.

    I think the idea is that if a VIN nag screen appears frequently enough to bother you, you should be on an Unlimited license anyway
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here.....

  2. Likes Eric, Uwe liked this post
  3. #82
    Verified VCDS User PetrolDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Molton, UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan View Post
    It takes more than inattention - you need to manually enter the last 3 digits of the VIN.
    Maybe if the task can be completed without registering a VIN the popup should make it clear that entering the last 3 digits of the VIN is optional?

  4. #83
    VCDS Distributor Mike@Gendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Swansea, UK
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Maybe if the task can be completed without registering a VIN the popup should make it clear that entering the last 3 digits of the VIN is optional?
    As I understand it, if you see that message and click cancel, if the VIN isn't compulsory it'll perform the function anyway, so that may be a bit redundant
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here.....

  5. Likes Uwe liked this post
  6. #84
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Mike- with respect, I understand your point, but in support of Dave's question - this type of rationale assumes that normal users of HEX series cables/dongles have the information that is needed to make these informed decisions.

    Yes, now that the original question was raised and given that Uwe has confirmed what happens if the user doesn't follow the instruction in the "Add VIN confirm" dialogue box - this information is available to the (handful?) of users/forum members that have read this thread. BUT - really? Does the information in a few posts hidden (perhaps the wrong word) in the RT forum come anywhere close to countervailing the clear instruction in the "Add VIN confirm" dialogue-box that EVERY user confronts when deciding how to proceed?

    I have absolutely no understanding how the software designers @ RT weave their magic - but I would suspect that their craft is underpinned by the knowledge that (by definition) 50% of HEX series users have a sub-100 IQ!!. I'm being "facial" (facetious) of course - but my point is that it is reasonable for users to assume that when a pop-up box instruction appears in VCDS software, it's a genuine and necessary decision point. And, it's reasonable for a user to assume that if the "cancel" option is selected - the act of doing so will cancel the action.

    So-bottom line. The way that any software interacts with a user should make it abundantly clear what decision is needed (either way - to proceed, or not) IMO. If a VIN is needed to proceed, then the dialogue-box is legitimate -if a VIN is not needed, then the dialogue-box is in error IMO.

    Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

  7. Likes Mari liked this post
  8. #85
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    24,512
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    So-bottom line. The way that any software interacts with a user should make it abundantly clear what decision is needed (either way - to proceed, or not) IMO. If a VIN is needed to proceed, then the dialogue-box is legitimate -if a VIN is not needed, then the dialogue-box is in error IMO.
    It is not in error. It is intentional. I'm not going to get into the exact reasons why it occurs there except to agree with Mike in post #81.

    As far as being clear, how is a [Cancel] button in that dialog unclear? It means, "No, I don't want to register this VIN".

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

  9. #86
    Verified VCDS User PetrolDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Molton, UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    As far as being clear, how is a [Cancel] button in that dialog unclear? It means, "No, I don't want to register this VIN".
    Since the dialog appears BEFORE the Clear All DTCs is actioned, it is maybe not unreasonable to assume that [Cancel] will also cancel the Clear All DTCs action and not just cancel the Add VIN action?

  10. Likes DV52, sparkymark75, Mari liked this post
  11. #87
    VCDS Distributor Mike@Gendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Swansea, UK
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Yes, now that the original question was raised and given that Uwe has confirmed what happens if the user doesn't follow the instruction in the "Add VIN confirm" dialogue box - this information is available to the (handful?) of users/forum members that have read this thread. BUT - really? Does the information in a few posts hidden (perhaps the wrong word) in the RT forum come anywhere close to countervailing the clear instruction in the "Add VIN confirm" dialogue-box that EVERY user confronts when deciding how to proceed?
    ...
    - but my point is that it is reasonable for users to assume that when a pop-up box instruction appears in VCDS software, it's a genuine and necessary decision point. And, it's reasonable for a user to assume that if the "cancel" option is selected - the act of doing so will cancel the action.
    I understand your (and Dave's) point, but you're looking at it from the point of view of someone who is used to unlimited usage.
    The majority of owners of a 3-VIN interface (in our experience at least) are home users with 1 or 2 cars, who will rarely (if ever) plug into a car they don't own, and so may only ever see a VIN entry screen once for each car they own.
    Even the 10-VIN users we sell to tend to be home users with a couple of cars who want to future proof themselves for when they replace the cars.
    For these people seeing a VIN warning is a good reminder that they are plugged into a new vehicle, and should think about what they are doing. If they click cancel and the function works anyway, that's a welcome bonus.

    The other type of 10-VIN user is enthusiasts who regularly use VCDS on friends' cars, or even small workshops.
    For these users I would suggest, as Uwe intimated, it's more to do with my previous post (#81). The goal is for users to buy the version of interface that reflects the way they actually use it.
    If you're an enthusiast and you cancel a VIN pop-up and the function runs anyway - happy days.
    If the uncertainty of that happens frequently enough to annoy you, you're seeing VIN nag screens too often, which would suggest you're on the wrong license
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here.....

  12. Likes Uwe liked this post
  13. #88
    Verified VCDS User PetrolDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Molton, UK
    Posts
    2,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan View Post
    I understand your (and Dave's) point, but you're looking at it from the point of view of someone who is used to unlimited usage.
    The majority of owners of a 3-VIN interface (in our experience at least) are home users with 1 or 2 cars, who will rarely (if ever) plug into a car they don't own, and so may only ever see a VIN entry screen once for each car they own.
    Mike - you appear to be (incorrectly) assuming that I have an unlimited VIN interface, I don't! The only time I have seen that popup is when I've used VCDS the first time on a car I've just bought.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan
    If they click cancel and the function works anyway, that's a welcome bonus.
    That's fine if you are a confident user, but it's an inescapable fact that not all people are that confident (especially new users and even some long time users) and could easily assume that if they don't enter a VIN and instead hit Cancel then the Clear All DTCs won't execute.

    Even 10 VIN users might not see this popup often enough to remember what the effect of hitting Cancel will be.

    For all my career writing software I have always tried to look at everything from the point of view of the most inexperienced user (expert users don't need any help...) and in cases like this where the popup is potentially confusing (will the Clear All DTCs still work if I press Cancel ) then IMHO the software should be tweaked to remove any potential confusion.

  14. Likes sparkymark75 liked this post
  15. #89
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mari View Post
    If its actually NOT required to register a VIN, why does the software ask to do so? One moment of inattention and you have lost 1 VIN... Luckily I have bought an unlimited VIN interface
    Yeah, it's not immediately obvious. I'm a software engineer and I guess you could say I should have tried clicking the Cancel button but using the development adage of "don't make me think", it should have been obvious what I was expected to do. Sorry if it seems like I'm complaining but when you're limited to 3 VINs, it's important to know when it's required to use them. Which in this case I did to clear the codes. I just assumed the T&Cs had maybe changed since I last read them about what you could do without registering a VIN. So now I've used 2 out of my 3 VINs

  16. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
  17. #90
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Since the dialog appears BEFORE the Clear All DTCs is actioned, it is maybe not unreasonable to assume that [Cancel] will also cancel the Clear All DTCs action and not just cancel the Add VIN action?
    Yup. If you click a button to perform an action, and then on the next dialog you are presented with a set of OK and Cancel buttons. It's reasonable to assume that clicking Cancel will cancel the action you requested. Sorry if it seems like I/we are splitting hairs here but as I mentioned in my last post, this stuff is important when you have a limited VIN license.

  18. Likes PetrolDave liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •