Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Thanks!!
Here are the links, hope they work...
Here is the new BCM that has the seat warm option available:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dtTXwNik9KBJD0CjXl-Lp79qaEHsrWqjy6YJG_2yz_8/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the BCM that is in the car now and does not have the seat warmer option:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y9PBrAXTdCtk4UA5KOMYyHr5S2t6t9K5UGISCHklep0/edit?usp=sharing

CO_Biker: Well done - files download,parsed,analyzed and uploaded! You can download the BCM compare spreadsheet HERE

Hopefully the spreadsheet is self explanatory, but this is how it works:

There are 2 x worksheets: CO_Biker_BCM_Compare (this is the "active" worksheet) and 09-5Q0-937-087-N unique channel -this worksheet contains the adaptation channels in your old BCM that have no matching channels in the new BCM. In the main, the uniqueness is simply German versus English names.

For the CO_Biker_BCM_Compare worksheet:
Column A = simple ID number that I've used as the primary key in MS Access
Column B = Complete list of ALL the adaptation channels in your new BCM
Column C = The settings for the Adaptation channels in your new BCM
Column D = The settings for the Adaption channels in your old BCM (where there are matching channel names in the new BCM). Note: I've forced an entry into this column for the 4 x channels related to seat heating that were unique because of the English name in your old BCM - these are colored Blue (see ID around 818)

Column E = "Same?" - this column identifies which adaptation channels you will need to alter in your new BCM. I've sorted the worksheet by this column to make it easier for you to identify the focus of your work. Clearly you can't make changes for those channels that are identified as "New" in this column (because there is no matching entry in your old BCM). All the entries that are listed as "No" theoretically should be altered, but I've found from past experience that the settings for the lighting configuration channels don't matter because these are "slave" channels for the matching Leuchte channels.

Here's how the BCM code-strings look:

MyXsvhh.png

Don

Last edited:

CO_Biker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295587
Thank you very much Don!!!

Just a few clarifying questions..
So I will need to transfer the settings from old unit to the new unit and this is so the car recognizes the new BCM?
Also just to clarify the BCM part numbers: the new unit with the seat heater option is the -N part number and the unit currently installed in the car without the seat heater option is the –Q part number.
You also noted that there is not a requirement to transfer the Light configuration settings to the new module, is that correct? This will save me a lot of time.. I have highlighted the lines in question on link I have added to post. Also this document at this link contains all the lines that I think will need to be changed, you denoted with a “NO”..
Now the big question, how do I make the changes? Is there a video available on R/T? I looked around a bit but did not find anything, I’ll take another look… Sorry but I’m new at this, just trying to find my way.. :)

Thanks!!!!
Greg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Gjm1Dza8CfS1FhZ1ZDN2x3SHM/view?usp=sharing

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Thank you very much Don!!!

Just a few clarifying questions..
So I will need to transfer the settings from old unit to the new unit and this is so the car recognizes the new BCM?

Kind-of! The car will "recognize the new BCM" regardless - but the setting/code change process is meant to fool the car into believing that you haven't actually changed the BCM: the theory being that if ALL the adaptation channels settings and the code-string is the same as the old BCM, then the subterfuge will be successful!

Also just to clarify the BCM part numbers: the new unit with the seat heater option is the -N part number and the unit currently installed in the car without the seat heater option is the –Q part number.

Yes, that's how I understood your original admaps. I haven't altered this assumption in my material

You also noted that there is not a requirement to transfer the Light configuration settings to the new module, is that correct? This will save me a lot of time.. I have highlighted the lines in question on link I have added to post. Also this document at this link contains all the lines that I think will need to be changed, you denoted with a “NO”..

Looks correct to me! - If you look at the adaptation channels with the "No" tag, most of the differences relate to the tail lights So, clearly the new BCM came from a vehicle that had different taillight fittings and the pincipal task is aligning the settings so that they match the tails on your car. There are some other features that also need alignment. The spreadsheet is about adaptation channels, but you will also need to align the code-string in the new BCM

Now the big question, how do I make the changes? Is there a video available on R/T? I looked around a bit but did not find anything, I’ll take another look… Sorry but I’m new at this, just trying to find my way.. :)

OK- now that's a very instructive question indeed! If your familiarity with Mr Ross's cable is limited to the extent that you felt it necessary to ask the question then I would suggest that you seek the help of a more experienced VCDS practitioner (sorry- no offense intended). If you want to proceed alone - then please do so carefully! In this latter case, you might consider reading the on-line user manual which you will find HERE

Or, you could watch the introductory video below (featuring the famous "VCDS guy")

Thanks!!!!
Greg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Gjm1Dza8CfS1FhZ1ZDN2x3SHM/view?usp=sharing

Greg: see embedded response above

Don

Last edited:

CO_Biker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295587
Thanks Don!! Your help is very much appreciated.. I will continue my quest..
Thanks!

CO_Biker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295587
I think I figured out how to do all this, amazingly enough.... :) Just one more question, does it matter which update I do first, the adaptation channel updates or the code string updates?

Thanks!!

CO_Biker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295587
I did get the new BCM re-coded everything went pretty smooth actually.. The code string had to be done first, right after I did that the car started to wake up and was a lot happier... Prior to the string update the car was not happy at all, the key fob was not being recognized and the car would turn off after about a minute in ACC mode.. The one issue left, besides actually testing the seat warmers, is after everything was updated within the BCM I noticed the MFD and the touchscreen intensity was about 50% dimmer than it should have been.. After the original BCM was re-installed everything was normal again.. I sent off an email to Ross-Tech posing the question and a possible resolution...

CO_Biker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295587
Update: I was double checking the ad channel changes I had made to the new BCM today trying to figure out why the dash illumination is so dim.. I did find that the adjustable dimmer knob at the headlight switch does not work, essentially the brightness is set at the lowest level when the new BCM is installed and is not adjustable. I install the original BCM and the knob works fine. Headlights work, forgot to check the interior lights Any thoughts or ideas?

Drawing:
http://imgur.com/a/9IpqZ

CO_Biker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295587
Component Protection Fault

Hi all,
I'm still at it.. I once again installed the BCM module with the heated seats option and pulled the scan from it and found there is a Component Protection Fault showing up and I was wondering if anyone can give me any help on what may be causing this fault? Please see the link to the snapshot of the fault list. As always any help would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks!!

http://imgur.com/cOg5y1Z

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Hi all,
I'm still at it.. I once again installed the BCM module with the heated seats option and pulled the scan from it and found there is a Component Protection Fault showing up and I was wondering if anyone can give me any help on what may be causing this fault?

You will need to visit a dealer to get the Component Protection (CP) removed. It gets triggered when you fit certain modules from one car to another and is designed to try and circumvent stolen car parts (control modules) being easily sold / installed in other cars.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi all,
I'm still at it.. I once again installed the BCM module with the heated seats option and pulled the scan from it and found there is a Component Protection Fault showing up and I was wondering if anyone can give me any help on what may be causing this fault? Please see the link to the snapshot of the fault list. As always any help would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks!!

http://imgur.com/cOg5y1Z
Since I'm a charter member of the Bandwidth Conservation Society, I gotta ask: Why a link to an image of text on your screen? Wouldn't it have been easier just to copy & paste the text itself?

Gary is connect: You'll need to see your dealer, who will have to connect you car directly to the mothership to get rid of the Component Protection fault.

-Uwe-

CO_Biker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295587
Hey... Thanks!!
So any experience out there on what this fault could inhibit on the module? Right now there are only 2 things that I can tell not working, one is the dash illumination is very dim and of course there is the seat warmers that are not working yet. Will be interesting to see if the dealership will clear the fault, could be easier to pull their teeth...
Yes, I agree the image is strange but at the time I took a screen shot of the log data I needed instead of the saving the entire file.. In the end it worked, just the same..

Thanks!!

CO_Biker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295587
Hello everyone, I just wanted to close out this thread as far as mine end.
I ended up not completing this mod with the OEM modules as I had planned, things got too complicated and I did not want to pursue this route any longer since it appeared that it was going to involve the dealership and pairing the BCM module to my car and then who knows what else.. What I did do is this:
1. tore apart the driver side seat and installed the OEM heating element into the entire seat
2. tapped into an unused fuse location on the fuse panel, 10 amp fuse for one seat, the element pulls a max of 7 amps.
3. installed a new aftermarket seat warmer switch in a convenient spot on the side of the seat
4. Installed a temperature control switch (part # W1209) in order to control the element temperature, this is a MUST and seems to be working great. I was able to tie into the OEM 10000 K NTC Thermistor temperature sensor that is in the OEM seat warmer element, this connected nicely to the temp control switch.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help, especially Don, I can't say how much I appreciated your insite and knowledge on my project.. I learned a TON and will continue to learn..
Thanks again Don..
If anyone has any questions or want pictures please let me know..
Thanks
Greg

Reactions: Uwe
Back