Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 94

Thread: HEX-V2 Product Announcement / Introduction

  1. #61
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Do you have a compelling reason to do an upgrade? Are you working on cars that new enough that your HEX+CAN no longer fully supports them?

    -Uwe-
    I purchased it 4yrs ago & have used it on 10 cars in that time (Golf MK4GTI, R32, MK5 GT, MK6 GT, MK7 GT, Audi S3 V6, Skoda Fabia MK1 x2, MK2vrs, OctaviaMK1...of the top of my head) ..& not just autoscans either...& yes the newest is my MK7 Golf, but if anything happens to it the replacement will be on the newer electrical systems...two cars are mine, the rest are friends & I do some stuff for local VAG owners on the forums..

    Anyway my "old" cable has drastically gone up in price over here in that time from 263 to 369..& I would far rather buy now instead of waiting until I desperately need it & find the cost has shot up further...

    If I had bought my "old" cable when I first thought about it & not the cheap 80 scan tool, I would have saved a further 64..as it was a few years earlier just below the 200 mark.

    I prefer to buy once, but I had hoped that the cable would last longer, & it most likely will, however if the current laden cars are causing problems I am likely to run into this issue in the next few years.

    My golf is very laden with extras & sometimes it is slow but to be expected, I like to future proof.

  2. Likes Uwe liked this post
  3. #62
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    24,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Dave View Post
    Anyway my "old" cable has drastically gone up in price over here in that time from 263 to 369..& I would far rather buy now instead of waiting until I desperately need it & find the cost has shot up further...
    I think this is primarily due to currency exchange. Not that many years ago, currency exchange was $2.00 to a Pound. Now it's roughly $1.30.

    In any case, we never changed the price of the HEX-USB+CAN (in USD) for the entire 12 years it was in production, which means when taking inflation into account, it actually got less expensive over time in real terms.

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

  4. Likes Eric, VAG-Dave liked this post
  5. #63
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    I think this is primarily due to currency exchange. Not that many years ago, currency exchange was $2.00 to a Pound. Now it's roughly $1.30.

    In any case, we never changed the price of the HEX-USB+CAN (in USD) for the entire 12 years it was in production, which means when taking inflation into account, it actually got less expensive over time in real terms.

    -Uwe-
    & with brexit on our cards, plus the Scots (where I live) still want independence from the UK & might have to go it alone, as Europe have stated you ain't joining us,

    Plus with the various sabre rattling with NK China etc...

    the money markets are for moment slightly stable....& our bank of England chief bloke the Canadian Mark Carney has royally screwed us (loads of the money banks, ex head blokes are criticising him & these people are not the type to speak openly, shows how bad it is) by not increasing interest rates, so encouraging spending & more debt & no incentives for savers...sound familiar to the previous stock crash that started over there because of toxic debt anyone??

    So basically before the current SNAFU ends up being FUBAR I'd like to save a bit of money in the long run....

  6. Likes Uwe liked this post
  7. #64
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Moon
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there,

    I see something: with Hex Can V2 - into Option Menu , Boot in Intelligent Mode dissapear .
    This option was very helpfull, because VCDS works with software Vag Eeprom Programmer.
    Its possible to have back this option at new HEX Can V2 ?
    Thank you in advance

  8. #65
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    24,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocip View Post
    I see something: with Hex Can V2 - into Option Menu , Boot in Intelligent Mode dissapear .
    This option was very helpfull, because VCDS works with software Vag Eeprom Programmer.
    Its possible to have back this option at new HEX Can V2 ?
    I'm afraid not. There is no possibility of a "dumb pass-through" (Serial <-> K-Line) mode with HEX-V2 or HEX-NET.

    I don't think this is a very compelling feature anymore since you can buy "dumb" USB<->K-Line cables for $10-$15 on fleaBay.

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

  9. Likes turbocip liked this post
  10. #66
    Verified VCDS User Al Bundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me and @turbocip this feature has been of great help. But, that's it, we're gonna use our oldest interface on the serial port.

  11. Likes turbocip, Sebastian liked this post
  12. #67
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Moon
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe, I understand what you said - but not the 10-15 usd is the problem, it was a very good option - because we did not use a second device (we did the fast job for VAG Cars - editing, coding, adaptations)

    I already use new Hex Can V2 - works very fast on Can Cars

  13. Likes Sebastian, Uwe liked this post
  14. #68
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    24,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocip View Post
    Uwe, I understand what you said - but not the 10-15 usd is the problem, it was a very good option - because we did not use a second device (we did the fast job for VAG Cars - editing, coding, adaptations)

    I already use new Hex Can V2 - works very fast on Can Cars
    Understood, but every design has some trade-offs and compromises.

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

  15. #69
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just asking a question to double check.

    I am thinking about selling my old registered cable, so I know that any support will not transfer to the new owner.

    But will they be able to continue to download new versions of the software/firmware/drivers etc.?

  16. #70
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Dave View Post
    .... will they be able to continue to download new versions of the software/firmware/drivers etc.?
    Yes they will. If they choose not transfer the license to their name by paying Ross-Tech the $99 fee, they will not receive support from Ross-Tech including hardware upgrades. However, the software updates will continue to work for them.

  17. Likes VAG-Dave, Uwe liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •