GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
WHat are vin limits?

Apologies for my ignorance here being a newbie and that.........:confused:

Just to add, if you need a HEX-V2 cable without any VIN limits then 3 of the UK distributors (Gendan, Ilexa & Marshalls Industrial) have the unlimited HEX-V2 cable listed at 450 GBP (or £375 without VAT if you have a VAT registered company).

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Just to add, if you need a HEX-V2 cable without any VIN limits then 3 of the UK distributors (Gendan, Ilexa & Marshalls Industrial) have the unlimited HEX-V2 cable listed at 450 GBP (or £375 without VAT if you have a VAT registered company).

Gary: I've always had an interest (goes back to a previous life in the energy industry many years ago) in product pricing and the logic that underscores the advertised number - which really equates to the underpinning message from the local seller to prospective buyers.

So unlimited VIN HEX-V2 in UK for £375 (without VAT) = about $465 USD. I can't find an unlimited VIN HEX-V2 on the RT shop page, but the 10 VIN unit is quoted @ $299 USD. Now, I'm not sure why UK suppliers can offer unlimited VIN and the Home company cannot, but the price differential between 10 x VINs and unlimited VIN for the HEX-NET is $100 USD. So discounting the UK unit by this amount suggests that the equivalent price for a 10 x VIN is equivalent to $365 USD which leaves $75 USD (or £60) higher price for the UK market - does the UK price include delivery (in the UK, I assume), or is the price premium the "carry" cost across the Atlantic?

Don

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
So discounting the UK unit by this amount suggests that the equivalent price for a 10 x VIN is equivalent to $365 USD which leaves $75 USD (or £60) higher price for the UK market - does the UK price include delivery (in the UK, I assume), or is the price premium the "carry" cost across the Atlantic?
Don't forget that when importing goods from the US to the UK there is a charge for VAT and import duty (we don't have a free trade agreement with the US - yet!), see https://www.dutycalculator.com/coun...taxes-when-importing-into-the-United-Kingdom/

Reactions: Uwe

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
VIN count not clear ...

Cheers UWE, I obviously missed that bit whilst browsing on my phone last night :)

Notwithstanding the useful FAQ on the Hex-V2, to which the quote above applies, I've just looked at your web page for the product and I don't think that the information about VIN limits applying to changes is in any way obvious.

If you look at the page as if you're a pending customer, the descriptions looks like the product is limited to [say] 3 VINs.

And by the way, having read 'the rules', I'm not sure why the Optical Bus Diagnostic adds to the VIN count; surely it's logically an Autoscan of the MOST BUS and not a change?

Julian

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
It's more comparable to an output test actually.

Reactions: Uwe

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
It's more comparable to an output test actually.

Eric, I realise that the functionally is 'comparable' [your word] with an output test, as it's an output test from, I believe, the CAN Gateway.

That's why I chose my word carefully and said 'logically', as notwithstanding how it's run, the function for the user is to read the status of the Optical BUS and not to make changes to it!

Is that not similar to what the user wants from an Autoscan, which is not, apparently, 'VIN Counted'?

Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Eric, I realise that the functionally is 'comparable' [your word] with an output test, as it's an output test from, I believe, the CAN Gateway.

That's why I chose my word carefully and said 'logically', as notwithstanding how it's run, the function for the user is to read the status of the Optical BUS and not to make changes to it!

Is that not similar to what the user wants from an Autoscan, which is not, apparently, 'VIN Counted'?

Julian
Auto-Scan produces a complete report about the car. If an Auto-Scan shows data from every module in the Gateway's Installation List, you do not need Optical Bus Diagnostics because you already know that the optical bus is fine.

Optical Bus Diagnostics is only useful if an Auto-Scan reveals a serious problem and you wish to dig into that problem more deeply. If you intend to use a VIN-limited tool that way, then I believe you should have to count that car's VIN toward the license limit.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Don't forget that when importing goods from the US to the UK there is a charge for VAT and import duty (we don't have a free trade agreement with the US - yet!), see https://www.dutycalculator.com/coun...taxes-when-importing-into-the-United-Kingdom/

Dave: We (Australia) do have a "free" trade agreement with the US ,but not for much longer (according to the current POTUS)!!! Actually, I think that it will be a good thing for Australia as well if America retreats from the TPP - our pharmaceuticals might become cheaper!

Also, I'm now not sure about some of the pricing assumptions in my post so I must apologize to RT's product pricing personnel for the incorrect logic!!

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Dave: We (Australia) do have a "free" trade agreement with the US ,but not for much longer (according to the current POTUS)!!! Actually, I think that it will be a good thing for Australia as well if America retreats from the TPP - our pharmaceuticals might become cheaper!
Yeah, but wasn't your government talking about having overseas vendors collect GST on their behalf? :rolleyes:

Also, I'm now not sure about some of the pricing assumptions in my post so I must apologize to RT's product pricing personnel for the incorrect logic!!
No worries!

-Uwe-

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
A customer asked about this so I'm copy-pasting it here from a different thread for posterity:

Uwe said:
LED behavior is as follows:

During normal operation, both LEDs work together, so that there is no need to decide which one is is which, something that would be difficult on this interface due to the symmetry of the LEDs. In any kind of steady state, the LEDs blink OFF for ~100ms or so every ~1s. This indicates that the software in the interface is alive and running. If there is no blinking OFF, that's an indication that the software has crashed and that the interface needs to be rebooted.

Steady-state: LED Colors:

Yellow: Interface is plugged into car, but not enumerated via USB on a PC.
Blue: Interface is enumerated via USB on a PC, but does not see any power from the car.
Red: Indicates a fault with the connection on the car (generally a stuck K-Line).
Green: Ready to use (enumerated via USB, and plugged into a car with no obvious faults on the diagnostic socket)

During active communications, the LEDs will alternate red/green in synch with data transmissions, much like the older interfaces did.

During boot-up, just one of the LEDs will flash green for about 2 seconds (while the other LED remains off).

-Uwe-

To further elaborate, here is some normal behavior observed on a HEX-V2.

DLC end unplugged, Plug USB end into a wall wart to provide only 5V of power, no signal:
One LED blinks GREEN for 2 seconds and then turns off.
All LEDs stay off after that.

DLC end unplugged, Plug USB end into USB port on computer
Then both LEDs blink BLUE slowly for all eternity. *See note

DLC end plugged into car, USB end plugged into USB port on computer
Then both LEDs blink GREEN slowly for all eternity.

DLC end plugged into car, USB end plugged into a wall wart to provide only 5V of power, no signal:
Then both LEDs blink YELLOW slowly for all eternity.

DLC end plugged into car, USB end unplugged:
Both LEDs blink GREEN briefly.
Then both LEDs blink YELLOW slowly for all eternity.

* Note If the HEX-V2 only has ONE blue light when plugged into the computer make sure the USB chipset drivers are not out of date.

Internal ref to ST?ID=104217

Last edited by a moderator:

nafg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=305294
hello iam about to get this tool but i need to know if its support audi tt 2016 8s

thanks

please reply asap

Roady900

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303383
V2 is a Great product, Ross-Tech. Quality made, security screw, heavy duty cable.

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
If someone in sales can contact me re "upgrading" a HEX+CAN (Dual-K & CAN ,<-> USB) unlimited VIN to the new V2 unit in the UK.

I purchased mine in 2013 from Gendan & still have the original package, receipt etc. & it has been registered with yourselves & it is very good condition, like new! Gendan have some info on their website re this route but they still rely on your approval etc.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If someone in sales can contact me re "upgrading" a HEX+CAN (Dual-K & CAN ,<-> USB) unlimited VIN to the new V2 unit in the UK.

I purchased mine in 2013 from Gendan & still have the original package, receipt etc. & it has been registered with yourselves & it is very good condition, like new! Gendan have some info on their website re this route but they still rely on your approval etc.
Dave, if you do the upgrade via Gendan, they set the upgrade price. They do have to contact us first with your serial number to make sure it's eligible for the upgrade discount they will receive from us. So I'm not sure what info you're looking for from our Sales dept?

-Uwe-

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Dave, if you do the upgrade via Gendan, they set the upgrade price. They do have to contact us first with your serial number to make sure it's eligible for the upgrade discount they will receive from us. So I'm not sure what info you're looking for from our Sales dept?

-Uwe-

Sorry just I looked at their website & it really doesn't give much info, no price, & just that the cable has to be in good condition & that :- "If you have registered your HEX-USB+CAN interface with Ross-Tech and are "in good standing" with them, ".

So I'll give them a ring on Monday

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sorry just I looked at their website & it really doesn't give much info, no price, & just that the cable has to be in good condition & that :- "If you have registered your HEX-USB+CAN interface with Ross-Tech and are "in good standing" with them, ".

So I'll give them a ring on Monday
Sounds like a plan. Your HEX+CAN with serial number ending in 344 is definitely eligible.

-Uwe-

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Sounds like a plan. Your HEX+CAN with serial number ending in 344 is definitely eligible.

-Uwe-

That's the one...Ohhh yesssss.....:thumbs:

I think my credit card will be getting melted next week....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think my credit card will be getting melted next week....
Do you have a compelling reason to do an upgrade? Are you working on cars that new enough that your HEX+CAN no longer fully supports them?

-Uwe-

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Maybe he likes supporting Ross Tech. I'm on my fourth cable now, started with a Micro Can a few years ago, and just keep on updating when I feel as though it ought to be done.

Back