Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: OEM Bi Xenon Retrofit Golf 7 mk7 TDI

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Hmm........... jut a hunch, but because the BCM was "cannibalized" from a RoW mk7, I wonder whether you also imported the European system for the instrument panel dimmer- I'm guessing?

Try the following (I'm not sure if NAR models have the virtual slider for instrument panel dimming):
    1. Press the CAR button on the RHS escutcheon of the MIB screen
    2. Press setup (gear symbol) on the bottom RHS of the screen
    3. Scroll-down and select Light
    4. In the Light setup screen, scroll-down until you see Interior lighting
    5. Do you see the entry instrument/switch lighting?
    6. If so, select this entry and a virtual slider rheostat should become visible
    Unfortunately this menu is missing

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GDM8085 View Post
    Unfortunately this menu is missing
    Hmm........ have you considered that perhaps the dashboard error might be a physical wiring problem?

The connections on the instrument illumination regulator look fairly simple: the BCM connection should have been the same when the new unit was retrofitted but there is a wire that would have been connected to Pin #2 on the left-side incandescent headlight (on the old fitting)?

According to my wiring diagram for left hand drive vehicles dated Jan 2014 (see my precis drawing below), this wire on the instrumentation illumination regulator (and range control) was connected to Pin#2 on the 10 pin connector for the left side assembly. The same pin number (i.e. Pin #2) for a 14 pin connector on a xenon fitting is for the CAN low line. What happened to this wire after the change-over?

Don

VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm........ have you considered that perhaps the dashboard error might be a physical wiring problem?

The connections on the instrument illumination regulator look fairly simple: the BCM connection should have been the same when the new unit was retrofitted but there is a wire that would have been connected to Pin #2 on the left-side incandescent headlight (on the old fitting)?

According to my wiring diagram for left hand drive vehicles dated Jan 2014 (see my precis drawing below), this wire on the instrumentation illumination regulator (and range control) was connected to Pin#2 on the 10 pin connector for the left side assembly. The same pin number (i.e. Pin #2) for a 14 pin connector on a xenon fitting is for the CAN low line. What happened to this wire after the change-over?

Don

I got to say, you always have such genious ideas for me. Thank you for thinking of this. I am not sure about that wire. I will try to check that next week and report back.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I Just checked on this. The #10 pin on the stock headlight harness does not go to anything on the adapter harness that I used. What does the wire from the headlight to the EX14 do?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GDM8085 View Post
    I Just checked on this. The #10 pin on the stock headlight harness does not go to anything on the adapter harness that I used. What does the wire from the headlight to the EX14 do?
    Les: hmm.......... Short answer - I don't know! But I'm guessing that since the descriptor of EX14 is "headlight range control and instrument illumination regulator" and since there is only one wire connected to the headlight assembly from this module that somehow the bold part of the descriptor is what it does (albeit why this is needed for an incandescent fitting is beyond me).

Anyhow, the point that I was trying to make (clearly not well) is that this wire doesn't seem to be used on Xenon fittings (presumably, because the HIDs have their own range control modules). What I was suggesting (given the DTC on your auto-scan regarding instrument cluster illumination) was to make sure that this wire didn't somehow get mixed-up in the transition of the 10 PIN incandescent connector to the 14 PIN Xenon connector.

Just to be clear, the "T10 /2" nomenclature for the pin assignment on my drawing means that the red/white wire is connected to PIN #2 on the 10 x PIN connector for the old incandescent headlight fitting (i.e. not "the #10 pin on the stock headlight harness")

Might not be an issue at all - I was just wearing my "white" de Bona hat in trying to identify a possible cause for the DTC

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 01-23-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Les, (GDM8085),

Pardon for being late to the party; I just stumbled upon this thread. I too have been doing an OEM lighting package with full AFS retrofit on a 15 GTI SE. Finished installing the last part yesterday. I still have a communication error (12601088 - Databus U1201 00 [137] - No Communications) and not sure if the AFS is working as cornering lights are not working. However, have lights fully operational, AFS is programmed and it has programmed the slave AFS modules. Lights do the shimmy, up and down at start up and AFS module executes basic setting and acknowledge basic settings after adjusting headlights. My communication issue is likely caused as I am connecting to the AFS to CANBUS + and - at pin 9 and 19 respectively as my pins 7 and 17 were missing coming out of the J533 diagnostic buss. I used Diagnostic Can Bus high and low connection 1 rather than the CAN Bus extended high and low connection 1 which is what is used to communicate with AFS module. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that not all CAN bus are the same. Just ordered proper diagnostic buss. Will give me time to step back from this project for a few days to psychologically heal. With your BCM replacement you have had significant more challenges then I. I will post my DIY when I have all the bugs worked out. Below are some excerpts you may be able to use on coding and adaptation changes.

Best,
    George

Process Overview:
    You may want to familiarize yourself with schematic and process.
    Run cable from headlights through firewall.
    Temporarily install Headlights
    Connect xenon shutter wires to BCM.
    Make VAGCOM changes and check that lights function. Button up headlights.
    Connect to AFS Control module wires to CANBUS, power and ground, and headlight motors. Connect +12V supply to headlights. Securely mount AFS Control Module.
    Mount level sensor
    Run cable from sensor to AFS control module.
    VAGCOM changes to introduce AFS to CANBUS and Code AFS.
    Adjust Headlight.

Make VAGCOM changes and check that lights function. Check that the lights work. I had buttoned up everything, and found I had a bad bulb. At this point your basic light should work. You won’t have high beams or DRL without significant VAGCOM changes. You will need to make changes to adaptation setting for light (Leutche) channels 2, 3, (left and right parking light) 4, 5, (left and right DRL) 8, 9, left and right (high beam) 10, and 11 (left and right shutter to control high beam).

Don (DV52) our forum hero who has spent many an hour putting tutorials and information together for the benefit of the community put together a BCM comparison matrix of a number of over twenty MK7 GTI configuration. I took a column that had my car and one that had a NAR lighting package and did a comparison of the light channels 0 through 11 to determine what changes needed to be made. The file is located here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/me4v48fa8n..._8_6.xlsx?dl=0 Your configuration may be different, but for mine I had to make the following changes: For light channels 2 and 3 adaptation files 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 11, 12, 13, and 14 needed to be changed. For light channels 4 and 4 adaptation files 1, 2, 3, 6, 13, and 14 needed to be changed. For light channels 8 and 9 adaptation files 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 needed to be changed. For light channels 10 and 11 adaptation files 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 needed to be changed. My changes are below.

Code:
    Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lasttyp 10 from not active to 2 - Shutter: Diagnosesensierung für 'LED low' Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lampendefektbitposition 10 from 0 to	37
    Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lichtfunktion A 10 from not active to Left high beam 
    Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 10	from 0	to 1E 
    Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Lichtfunktion B 10 from not active to Lichthupe generell 
    Leuchte10SHUTTER LB23-Dimmwert AB 10 from	 0 to 127

Leuchte11SHUTTER RB22-Lasttyp 11 from not active to 2 - Shutter: Diagnosesensierung für 'LED low' 
    Leuchte11SHUTTER RB22-Lampendefektbitposition 11 from 0 to 41
    Leuchte11SHUTTER RB22-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 11 from 0	to 1F 
    Leuchte11SHUTTER RB22-Lichtfunktion A 11 from not active to Right high beam 
    Leuchte11SHUTTER RB22-Lichtfunktion B 11 from not active to Lichthupe generell 
    Leuchte11SHUTTER RB22-Dimmwert AB 11 from 0 to 127

Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lasttyp 2 from 10 - allgemeine Scheinwerfer 	to 4 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Signal 
    Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lampendefektbitposition 2 from 0 to 48
    Leuchte2SL VLB10-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 2 from 45	to 4A 
    Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion A 2 from Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht: Positionslicht: Begrenzungslicht) to Daytime running lights 
    Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion C 2 from not active to Blinken links aktiv (beide Phasen) 
    Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimming Direction CD 2 from	 maximize to	minimize 
    Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion E 2 from not active to Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht: Positionslicht: Begrenzungslicht) 
    Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion F 2 from not active to Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re) 
    Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert EF 2 from	0 to 26

Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lasttyp 3 from 10 - allgemeine Scheinwerfer 	to 4 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Signal 
    Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lampendefektbitposition 3 from 0 to 4C 
    Leuchte3SL VRB21-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 3 from 46	to 4C 
    Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion A 3  from Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht: Positionslicht: Begrenzungslicht) to Daytime running lights 
    Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion C 3  from not active to	Blinken rechts aktiv (beide Phasen) 
    Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimming Direction CD 3  from maximize to minimize 
    Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion E 3  from not active to Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht: Positionslicht: Begrenzungslicht) 
    Lichtfunktion F 3 from not active to Parking light right 
    Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimmwert EF 3 from 0 to 26

Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lasttyp 4 from	9 - allgemeine Glühlampe 27W: auch H15 to 1 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung 
    Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lampendefektbitposition 4 from 48 to	3A 
    Leuchte4TFL LB4-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 4 from 43 to 49
    Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimmwert AB 4 from 100 to 127
    Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion F 4 from	not active to Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re) 
    Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimmwert EF 4 from 31 to 127

Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lasttyp 5 from 9 - allgemeine Glühlampe 27W: auch H15 to 1 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung 
    Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lampendefektbitposition 5 from 4C to 44
    Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 5	from 44	to 4B 
    Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Dimmwert AB 5 from 100 to	127
    ENG116555-Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lichtfunktion F 5 from not active to Parking light right 
    Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Dimmwert EF 5 from 31 to 127

Leuchte8FL LB39-Lasttyp 8 from	10 - allgemeine Scheinwerfer to	36 - LED Kleinleistung 
    Leuchte8FL LB39-Lampendefektbitposition 8 from 37 to	35
    Leuchte8FL LB39-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 8 from 1C to 26
    channel ENG116944-ENG116027-Leuchte8FL LB39-Lichtfunktion A 8 from Left high beam to Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht: Positionslicht: Begrenzungslicht) 
    Leuchte8FL LB39-Lichtfunktion B 8 from	Lichthupe generell to Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re) 
    ENG116029-Leuchte8FL LB39-Dimmwert AB 8 from 100	to 127

Leuchte9FL RB2-Lasttyp 9 from 10 - allgemeine Scheinwerfer to 36 - LED Kleinleistung 
    Leuchte9FL RB2-Lampendefektbitposition 9 from 41 to	3F 
    Leuchte9FL RB2-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 9 from 1D to 27
    Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion A 9 from Right high beam to Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht: Positionslicht: Begrenzungslicht) 
    Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion B 9 from Lichthupe generell to Parking light right 
    Leuchte9FL RB2-Dimmwert AB 9 from 100 to 127
    I also made vagcom coding changes to let car know I have xenon lights, byte 2 bi-xenon without light assist, and byte 6 bit 5-6 xenon shutter installed.
    You now have properly functioning lights, but you do not have AFS.

Connect AFS Control module wires to CANBUS, power and ground, headlight motors controller and +12V supply to headlights. Securely mount AFS Control Module – Now the fun.
    Let’s find where we are and think about what we are doing next. The AFS module is normally mounted up in the dash next to the diagnostic module. I decided to mount just to the right of the BCM as there is a place to wedge and I could secure with long cable tie. I mention so you can determine wire lengths as you are brining everything together so you can use existing runs to make things nice and neat. Most of the below operations are not order dependent. You can mount AFS module in other places such as footwell as there is room.
    The harness coming from the firewall has two sets of twisted pair (going to motor controller) and power. Tie one set of twisted pair into the other with the terminal pins making sure orange/grey and orange/black go to the same. Install the orange/grey wire to pin 4 and orange/brown wire to pin 5 of AFS connector.
    Finding the CANBUS wires going into the AFS module is no joy. It is not in the TIUL (connector by footwell), where they would be if LP was installed. On schematic, it is pins 7 and 17 of Diagnostic module, buried way up in dash; however, when you access there are no pins 7 and 17 coming out of diagnostic module. I tapped into CANBUS Diagnostic pins 9 (low) and 19 (high), by tapping into wires coming from 9 (orange/brown) and 19 (orange/red). You can do the same or look at wiring harness and see if you can find a CANBUS pair of wires, they will be a twisted pair orange/brown and orange/black. Install CANBUS + to pin 2 and CANBUS – to pin 3.
    NOTE: I still have a communication problem, but above is what I did.

VAGCOM changes to introduce AFS to CANBUS, Code AFS - Use Vagcom to tell CANBUS module that AFS control module has been added. Select 19 CAN Gateway, then installation list and check the box next to 55 Xenon Range and execute. Note when the AFS is properly coded it will automatically code the AFS slave modules on the lights. I attempted to use the long coding and check what was applicable; however, received errors. Finally used admap from Rosstech forum for 2016 GTI Autobahn: Coding: 021A01010B000400 Changed the bit from NAR to ROW so ended up with 021A01000B000400.

Code:
    Address 55: Headlight Range (J745)       Labels: 7P6-907-357.clb
       Part No SW: 7P6 907 357 A    HW: 7P6 907 357 A
       Component: AFS-ECU       H07 0080  
       Revision: --------    Serial number: --------------
       Coding: 021A01000B000400
       Shop #: WSC 01608 666 28888
       ASAM Dataset: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSMQB 001120
       ROD: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSMQB.rod
       VCID: 3D5FCAA7ACB8CCA9C8-8068

Left Headlamp Power Output Stage: 
       Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5N0 941 329     HW: 5N0 941 329   Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
       Component: LeiMo links  H01 0004 
       Coding: 2E0000

Right Headlamp Power Output Stage: 
       Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5N0 941 329     HW: 5N0 941 329   Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
       Component: LeiMo rechts  H01 0004 
       Coding: 2E0000

3 Faults Found:
    12601088 - Databus 
              U1201 00 [137] - No Communications
              MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 00000001
                        Fault Priority: 6
                        Fault Frequency: 6
                        Reset counter: 107

13705474 - Databus 
              U1121 00 [137] - Missing Message
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Priority: 2
                        Fault Frequency: 1

13705481 - Databus 
              U1121 00 [137] - Missing Message
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Priority: 6
                        Fault Frequency: 1
    Last edited by George Ab; 02-15-2017 at 12:42 AM. Reason: CODE tags

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Les: hmm.......... Short answer - I don't know! But I'm guessing that since the descriptor of EX14 is "headlight range control and instrument illumination regulator" and since there is only one wire connected to the headlight assembly from this module that somehow the bold part of the descriptor is what it does (albeit why this is needed for an incandescent fitting is beyond me).

Anyhow, the point that I was trying to make (clearly not well) is that this wire doesn't seem to be used on Xenon fittings (presumably, because the HIDs have their own range control modules). What I was suggesting (given the DTC on your auto-scan regarding instrument cluster illumination) was to make sure that this wire didn't somehow get mixed-up in the transition of the 10 PIN incandescent connector to the 14 PIN Xenon connector.

Just to be clear, the "T10 /2" nomenclature for the pin assignment on my drawing means that the red/white wire is connected to PIN #2 on the 10 x PIN connector for the old incandescent headlight fitting (i.e. not "the #10 pin on the stock headlight harness")

Might not be an issue at all - I was just wearing my "white" de Bona hat in trying to identify a possible cause for the DTC

Don
    I did check into this further. As far I know the model that I have does not need this, It is not in my original 10 pin connector. There is no wire in the T10/2 position on the original harness

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I am a bit confused. My Golf is wired according to wiring diagram MEX5R010521 which is for Golf Variant pictured below. I am wondering if it needs to be changed to MEX5R010421 which is for Golf? Can someone verify which diagram is actually for my car? According to Erwin it should be xxxxx421 but according to the actual wiring in my car it is xxxxxxx521. Below is the difference in the E20 (Instrument panel and switch illumination dimmer switch).

MEX5R010421

MEX5R010521