Bulb error after upgrading VW Tiguan with LED bulbs

ORCADES_VIKING

Reaction score
Good Day Dear Forum,

Hello from New Zealand, Auckland.
I just joined and the reason why is that I upgraded my VW Tiguan 2012 2.0 TSI AWD Sport 132kW with LED bulbs everywhere.
I bought them online from Headlights Revolution USA and installed them immediately: Stop lights, Tail lights, Blinkers, Rear Gear lights, Fog lights, Interior lights, Plate lights, Trunk light, Footwell lights, Dome lights.
Immediately on the odometer popup the Bulb sign and Warning Information on the MFD.
I went to authorised service VW with request to make those errors disappear, they try their best but couldn't succeed. Unfortunately now I have upgraded VW with those discussting errors.
My question is as follow below:
Can you tell me please, if I purchase VCDS Professional level and kit for connection shall I achieve positive outcome and to succeed to ignore/erase forever those errors please?

Thank you for your time taken to read my message and your further understanding and further assistance in this particular case.

Merry Christmas and Happy New 2017 Year!

Warm regards,
VIKING

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We can't guarantee that. Unless there's a factory configuration for LEDs in every position you've installed them in (and I doubt there is), then the BCM is going to flag bulb-out errors due to the much lower current draw of the LEDs than traditional bulbs.

-Uwe-

PS: Moving this to Pre-Sales Support.

ORCADES_VIKING

Reaction score
Thanks Uwe,for your swift reply.

I just wondering then how this can happen as per video from YouTube as you can see the man is using old version of VCDS 10.0.0 and it works.

Please look at the link:

https://youtu.be/-J91O3ClPCY

From the VW Authorised Service told me that I need to change the bulbs with such similar but with resistance. I can spend again extra 1000$ looking for bulbs and exchange the recent ones. Can you comment the video and tell me please what next :
Can I purchase Pro Series VCDS and Bluetooth connection included to sort out this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
VIKING

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I just wondering then how this can happen as per video from YouTube as you can see the man is using old version of VCDS 10.0.0 and it works.

Please look at the link:

https://youtu.be/-J91O3ClPCY

From the VW Authorised Service told me that I need to change the bulbs with such similar but with resistance. I can spend again extra 1000$ looking for bulbs and exchange the recent ones. Can you comment the video and tell me please what next :
Can I purchase Pro Series VCDS and Bluetooth connection included to sort out this problem?
That appears to be a Golf with OEM (or OEM like) LED tail lamp assemblies, not a Tiguan with "with LED bulbs everywhere". The BCM has parameters for OEM tail light assemblies because such tail lamp assemblies were a factory option, but somehow I don't think LED bulbs swapped in "everywhere" was a factory option. ;)

Oh, and you don't need a HEX-NET to do that. Nor is a HEX-NET Bluetooth. The HEX-NET is a WiFi (and USB) interface. There will also be new USB-only interfaces introduced on January 2nd, and we're closed for holidays until then. However, I still don't think there's any way to get your BCM to accept LED bulbs "everywhere".

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I think it's worth adding that VCDS is a diagnostic and configuration tool that allows the owner to setup ECMs on a VAG vehicle, what it doesn't do is to change the firmware in those modules.

So if VAG haven't included firmware to cater for e.g. LED bulbs then VCDS can't change that, but if VAG have included firmware for e.g. LED bulbs then VCDS will allow you to enable that setup and avoid bulb out errors.

Reactions: Uwe

ORCADES_VIKING

Reaction score
Good Day Petrol Dave,
Thank you for your answer. From all written I understand that it doesn't make sense to buy VCDS and cable as I will not succeed successfully to suppress those errors, is that correct?
And I need either to revert back to this stupid halogens who are becoming black and melting the plastic of the Tiguan, either to keep the LED and driving the vehicle how it's?
Thank you and I hope you have a lovely day.

Warm regards,
VIKING

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Thinking about VCDS as only something to get rd of LED bulb errors is IMHO a very wrong way of thinking.

How many times has a dealer/indie charged you for a "diagnostic check" that just confirmed what you already knew? With VCDS you do those checks yourself, often fix the problem yourself and save loads of cash.

Over the years I've had my VCDS I've saved well over GBP1000 in dealer diagnostic charges on my own cars, earned lots of beer diagnosing and fixing problems for friends and colleagues (even on non-VAG cars in OBD mode) and had the satisfaction of making changes and doing retrofits that dealers have said are "impossible".

Understand what VCDS is, and is not, and it is IMHO a "must buy" for every VAG enthusiast.

Buy VCDS - you'll almost certainly recover the cost and understand better how your car works at the same time.

ORCADES_VIKING

Reaction score
Hello PetrolDave,

Thank you for your answer. It's seems to be that this product is very helpful to you as per my understanding, however I don't have issues with my VW as far those Bulb errors only on my MFD - the vehicle is only on 22000km on the odometer, running nice and smoothly, just spending money for the fuel and nothing else, actually.
Oh, I forgot - as well I just upgraded my Audio to HiFi level with Hertz and Alpine and ... the LED bulbs.
If I can fix those errors with the help of VCDS I don't think I need this product. I am ready to pay the highest price, but just to be sure that I can sort out this issue. I don't like to remove the LED bulbs as they are very sharp looking, very well visible during the day/night and as so far the safety on the road is my first priority I will keep them no matter the errors. It's really annoying and I am frustrated by their existence but nothing I can do about this.
As the VW authorised dealer'' service didn't succeeded to r move those errors and VCDS as well can't sort them out that's mean there is no hope this to be fixed at all, unfortunately.

I will highly appreciate it if somebody can tell me how I can ignore/suppress those Bulb errors in my MFD effectively 100%, please!

Thank you so much for your time taken to read my message and your further understanding and cooperation in this particular matter.

Have a great day,
VIKING

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
If VW haven't included in their firmware the option for LED bulbs then AFAIK the only option is to use resistors in parallel with EVERY LED to simulate the current drain of an incandescent bulb.

The resistor must be of a correct resistance to draw the same power as a bulb and have similar power rating to the bulb, but be aware that it WILL get HOT so you must position them where the heat can be dissipated and won't damage anything (e.g. wiring, plastic parts, etc.).

I understand the desire for LED bulbs as I have fitted them to my non-VAG car (a Citroen C1, same thing as a Toyota Aygo) and that required resistors on key bulbs such as the indicators for them to work correctly.

ORCADES_VIKING

Reaction score
Hello PetrolDave,

Well noted and clearly understood mate! Thank you so much indeed! I was thinking something similar but I was rejecting this as impossible.

Now looks like I will try to find out someone who can do the job for me and I believe that everything it will be alright.

You are completely right in regards the LED desire. And I have very special reason behind:
Prior to move to New Zealand, I am EU citizen and back in my native country I left brand new BMW 2016 3,0 TwinTurbo Power F25 x3 xDrive M-Power with full LED adaptive package and due to the LHD I can't import in New Zealand or if I do that I need to reexport every year and to import again, or to pay 45000$ to a local authorised dealer of BMW,to convert from LHD to RHD which sounds ridiculous to me.
That's why I left my SUV for sell and due to the fact that I miss this adaptive LED option (which is amazing, as even the Fog lights are LED) on the road Inam trying now to "upgrade" as much as I can this old fashion VW Tiguan.
In my country we have a word:
"Once you rode Arab Horse, it's too difficult to ride a Balkan Donkey after that!"
This is what's happens to me now unfortunately.
Once I sell the BMW I will buy a nice full with options but not limited to LED package and etc Tuareg probably or Land Rover Dsivovery 4.

Thank you once again for this advice I will try to find someone to execute this project for me.

Have a great Holidays, stay safe and sound mate!

Warm regards,
VIKING

Last edited:

golfhappy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=214466
Probably easier to put a bulb error out on a Donkey!

ORCADES_VIKING

Reaction score
Probably easier to put a bulb error out on a Donkey!

You looks like seems to be a smart member of this forum. Thank you for your advice. Try to be nicer.
If you don't have nothing to say is better not to speak/write at all.
Thank you and Happy New 2017 Year!

Last edited:

golfhappy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=214466
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=266877.msg2452501#msg2452501 i know how frustrated you'll be getting, probably right above the BCM will need to be changed as the current software wont support led bulbs. What we did was to look in the local car mag picked an ED35 got its licence plate, went to vw and ordered a BCM for that car. Then thats where VCDS pays for itself, copy your long code over then check what features the new module supports.

ORCADES_VIKING

Reaction score
Well noted and clearly understood mate. Thank you. I will be happy to pay the highest price even for one VCDS and to keep for me as in the future I am planing to buy again VW either Tuareg either Amarok (I left the idea for Land Rover Discovery) Can you please tell me what BCM stands for and what is ED35, please sorry... 🤔
Thank you again. Stay safe and sound golfhappy.

golfhappy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=214466
BCM or CECM same thing body control module and central electronic module, controls the lighting system and comfort systems within the car. Other things like heated rear windscreen. ED35 edition 35 mk6 golf which had led drls as a standard feature. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46536&page=5 more reading! now you'll understand my comment to the thread above!!! think Karate kid! wax on wax off Daniel san.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
This forum has an interesting and useful feature, any text that appears in green bold underlined is a recognised acronym, so just hover over it and the meaning will appear.

Try it on BCM and CECM in the post above :thumbs:

Last edited:
Back