Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Niels (NEtech) may have a procedure for you to try so hold off on that dealer level idea if you can.

If this 44 module uses Characteristic Curves or Parameterization those would be performed via SVM and the only independent repair facility option may be using a J-box with an active erWin Audi subscription and online connection. I really don't know if they offer that at this time but the J2534 notes and NAR links on this page may be helpful:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Official_Factory_Repair_Information

thowell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120044
Is it possible that this module 'learned' some really bad data points when I had my G85 out of alignment by -700 degrees? I did drive the car a little (less than 5 miles) in that state as I was troubleshooting other problems.

I wanted to try the "Resetting of learned values for steering assistance" in module 44 but it errors out. Do I need a Security Access for that module, and if so does anyone know the value? (I tried 61378, but that wouldn't take.)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Rule

Always default a controller which is verified to have improper install or calibrations in memory.
Try recoding with same data and power down.

Then preform the ADP.

thowell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120044
Thanks for the reply.

I'm still pretty new to VCDS, can you tell me how to default the controller? Is that a way to reset it and erase all previous settings?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sure........

Make sure you setup your tester for importer #, device # and WSC.
( Make a unique WSC for you 5 digits you recognize and is different than controllers on hand )

In VCDS go into the respective module you want reset and hit ( Recode Button )
Install the same data and verify the ( WSC ) is different for your tester # when recoding the same data by hitting DO IT!

Then power down and disconnect battery.
Install a jumper wire to do a capacitor discharge between terminals. ( Then turn key on to bleed back discharge )
Wait ten minutes, turn key off, remove jumper and re-hook up battery.

Try your tests and new learned settings........... after you have verified the new identifiable WSC is present in control unit main screen, and coding is verified the same.

Last edited:

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Is it possible that this module 'learned' some really bad data points when I had my G85 out of alignment by -700 degrees? I did drive the car a little (less than 5 miles) in that state as I was troubleshooting other problems.

I wanted to try the "Resetting of learned values for steering assistance" in module 44 but it errors out. Do I need a Security Access for that module, and if so does anyone know the value? (I tried 61378, but that wouldn't take.)

Yeah, I have to give NEtech credit for the research but Resetting of learned values for steering assistance is worth attempting and the SA code should be 43702. Please try this at idle with the steering wheel straight; [44-Steering Assist] > [Security Access - 16] > 43702 > [Do it!] > [Basic Settings - 04] > |Resetting of learned values for steering assistance| [Go!] to activate the Basic Settings and I would expect that controller to display something like Finished Correctly at which point you can click [Stop].

Providing that completes as expected you should be able to complete the Steering End Stops with the engine still running at idle using the lock-to-lock plain text/no scan tool procedure here.

thowell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120044
OK, I followed Jack's instructions and re-coded module 44. I verified that the coding stayed the same, but the WSC changed, then disconnected the battery and discharged the electrical system. I then re-did the Basic Settings for module 16 successfully, shutdown everything, and retried learning the end-stops. The car beeps at both end-stops as expected, but never clears any MILs on the dash (or in a scan) once I return to center.

Next I followed Dana/NEtech's advice for Resetting of learned values for steering assistance from the previous post. That module complains that it needs a 1 to 3 digit number, so I took a guess and put in '1' in that blank box. I didn't take a shot of the exact error, but I can get it if it will help anyone. Anyway, after guessing on that value it still fails with "Error: Conditions not correct or request sequence error".

steering-error.png

This was with the car at idle. I tried it again with ignition on/car off and it seemed to work. I got the Finished message and then clicked [Stop]. I turned off the ignition, waited 30 seconds, re-started the car and tried the end-stop dance again, but got the same results as all the previous tries.

If anyone can see anything off in how I'm doing this please let me know. My biggest question mark now is the 1 to 3 digit code that it asked for, and maybe if there is any way to tell if this module does or does not have the needed Characteristic Curves. Thanks

Last edited:

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Please try a single 0 in that (reserved) box.

thowell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120044
I re-tried it with a 0 in the reserved box, but got the same results. With the engine running it gives the same error "Conditions not correct or request sequence error", and with the engine off/ignition on it works and says "Finished". One thing I noticed is that screen changes after waiting a minute to "Not Running". Probably nothing, but just in case it means something to someone familiar with this procedure:
not-running.png

Anyway, after doing this it still won't clear that code after learning the stops. I'm wondering if I should try "Resetting of all adaptations" on that same screen? Dana, you recommended not using that option, is that still your recommendation? Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Personally I like starting fresh for everything when things like this exist.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should try "Resetting of all adaptations" on that same screen? Dana, you recommended not using that option, is that still your recommendation? Thanks again for the help.

Well, that could do exactly as is states and wipe a bunch of adaptation values out of this #44 module but at this point in time I think a trip to the dealer may be necessary.... so I don't think you have any other option. I would recommend running and saving a total of 2 Adaptation Function control module maps on #44 before doing that however:

1) Without a SA code entered
2) With 43702 entered

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/controller-channels-map.html

You cannot run PLB/Measuring Block maps on a UDS controller so stick to the Adaptation Function only and it will create a CSV file that you can open with Excel or Notepad and paste to forum if needed.

If you happen to have that old #44 and it can be connected electrically, I suppose you could map the old rack to see if anything is obviously different but if this requires a flash or dealer SVM operation it may not be obvious in the channel map.

thowell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120044
OK, I finally got this taken to a dealership to see if I could get the J500 module re-flashed, upload characteristic curves, etc. They did re-load new software for this module, but it didn't help. Here is the relevant portion of a new scan:
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 44: Steering Assist (J500)       Labels: 8K0-909-144.clb
   Part No SW: 8K0 909 144 F    HW: 8K0 909 144 B
   Component: RCEPS         H37 0507  
   Revision: 00001000    Serial number: 0003459682
   Coding: 100000010001
   Shop #: WSC 55474 001 1048576
   ASAM Dataset: EV_RCEPSAU48X 008014
   ROD: EV_RCEPSAU48X.rod
   VCID: 346DF1679FC9249A57-8061

1 Fault Found:
5258753 - Steering End Stops Not Learned 
          C10AC F0 [137] - Unknown Error Elaboration
          MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dealer was not able to clear this code, but they were able to tell me why it wouldn''t learn the end stops. Apparently the learning won't 'take' unless the 2 end stops are within 20 degrees of each other. Right now mine turns -570 degrees to the left and 470 degrees to the right.

This makes me wonder if I did something wrong when installing the new steering rack? Or maybe I did something wrong in posts 11 - 14 earlier in this thread? It looks like I need to turn the steering 50 degrees to the right and re-calibrate that to 0 degrees, right? It seems like Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Calibration would do this, but I'm not sure. Thanks again for all the help!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Apparently the learning won't 'take' unless the 2 end stops are within 20 degrees of each other. Right now mine turns -570 degrees to the left and 470 degrees to the right.
What reading do you get with the front wheels pointed straight ahead and the steering wheel centered?

thowell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120044
What reading do you get with the front wheels pointed straight ahead and the steering wheel centered?

Zero degrees +/- 0.5 degrees.

Lez78

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=74086
I have the same fault, but only in ABS...

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels:. 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AJ HW: 1K0 907 379 AJ
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H30 0107
Revision: 00H30001
Coding: 133B200D09230003C81204E5901B0081350C00
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 7AA69F7D4CDDBE8A617-802E

1 Fault Found:
01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500)
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 45
Mileage: 234081 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
Count: 3
Count: 2
Count: 12288