A4 1.9 TDI,2006, BRB 85 kW PD engine - high fuel consumption

Davor Sule

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282324
And after all I don't believe that this difference in temperature can spend 3 liters of fuel more than normally?!

Maybe it does.

turbotec

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57021
To be sure about consumption mileage and consumption should be double check by driving distance by GPS or map and filling tank up to up.

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Compare with measurement in address 17, Instrument Panel. If there is more than 3-5 degrees difference, replace T sensor. This car still have 2 separate thermistors in one shell of sensor. One is for ECU, another one for instrument panel. Look at measuring values with VCDS, do not pay attention what T gauge shows on panel. It is built-in feature in panel electronics that displays constantly 90 degrees when the real engine coolant temperature is approx from 75 up to 100 degrees.
If we compare fuel consumption of engine with good thermostat, correctly working ECT and summertime with probably thermostat opening too early and/or temperature sensor measuring 10-15 degrees less than real coolant temperature and wintertime, it is easy to get 3 or more liters more fuel consumption.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
it is easy to get 3 or more liters more fuel consumption.
+1

On my previous Audi summer consumption was 22-25mpg (11-13 l/100km), but lowest winter consumption was 16mpg(18 l/100km)!

Davor Sule

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282324
+1

On my previous Audi summer consumption was 22-25mpg (11-13 l/100km), but lowest winter consumption was 16mpg(18 l/100km)!

this was fuel consumption with bad temperature sensor?

Davor Sule

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282324
Compare with measurement in address 17, Instrument Panel. If there is more than 3-5 degrees difference, replace T sensor. This car still have 2 separate thermistors in one shell of sensor. One is for ECU, another one for instrument panel. Look at measuring values with VCDS, do not pay attention what T gauge shows on panel. It is built-in feature in panel electronics that displays constantly 90 degrees when the real engine coolant temperature is approx from 75 up to 100 degrees.
If we compare fuel consumption of engine with good thermostat, correctly working ECT and summertime with probably thermostat opening too early and/or temperature sensor measuring 10-15 degrees less than real coolant temperature and wintertime, it is easy to get 3 or more liters more fuel consumption.

Ok, I'll check thank you for your good advice.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Ok, but this is 85 kW 1.9 tdi, with fuel consumption of 9-10 l/100 km, it's too high.
But earlier in this thread it seems that your consumption has only increased by 3 litres per tankful?

If that's correct then that's such a small increase it is very probably caused by lower winter temperatures.

I was illustrating how much an effect cold winter temperatures can have, with my RS4 it increased consumption by 60%...

Davor Sule

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282324
But earlier in this thread it seems that your consumption has only increased by 3 litres per tankful?

If that's correct then that's such a small increase it is very probably caused by lower winter temperatures.

I was illustrating how much an effect cold winter temperatures can have, with my RS4 it increased consumption by 60%...

No, I wrote fuel consumption is about 9-10 liter/100 km.

Generally I understand that it's higher on cold winter temperatures.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I would pull Injectors and bench test the calibration plus observe the units for statics.

Davor Sule

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282324
I would pull Injectors and bench test the calibration plus observe the units for statics.

This is done...

Also I target on lambda if it's working properly or not. I don't know how this system works on diesel model. On gasoline cars it can affect directly on high fuel consumption, so I guess on this car is the same.

I must check throughput of system filling pressure (leakage of intake air system), and temperature sensor.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Measure respective exhaust manifold temps for comparison with inferred temp gun to compare combustion temps .........if one is more cold......... that's the one!

Back