Not open for further replies.

JazzDK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=285115
Hi guys i have been working a bit for this to work on a friends car
Seat Leon ST 5F with halogen headlights (non LED)

(The coding works for me and my car Seat Leon ST FR 5F with LEDlights with som e more lines.)

This code works, kind of, but (USlight=turnsignal=always on, minus when blinking right or left):

1. Not in DRL mode (Auto/daylight)
  • When blinking left it turns off the USlight on the right side, but when blinking right the left USlight stays on as it should.
    If i delete the coding for the left side (Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36 xxx) then then it works, (Right turnsignal stays on when blinking left.)

Is there anyone whoo can figure this out or even better a coding that actually work on a nos LED car

===================================================
US-Fahrlicht

(org=xxx) = my information about the default settings before coding.
[ xxx ] = My information about another possible settings.

STG 09, 31347, Adaption,
(4)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion A 0, Abblenlicht links (org=Blinken links Hellphase ) [permanent on=Abblenlicht links or when SPORT mode/Red door light=Ambientelicht 4]
(5)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion B 0,Blinken links Hellphase (org=not active)
(6)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimmwert AB 0,100 (org=100)
(8)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion C 0,Blinken links Dunkelphase (org=Blinken links Dunkelphase)
(9)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion D 0,not active
(10)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimmwert CD 0,0
(11)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimming Direction CD 0,minimize (org=maximize)

(4)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion A 1, Abblenlicht rechts (org=Blinken rechts Hellphase )
(5)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion B 1,Blinken rechts Hellphase (org=not active)
(6)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert AB 1,100 (org=100)
(8)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion C 1,Blinken rechts Dunkelphase (org=Blinken rechts Dunkelphase)
(9)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion D 1,not active
(10)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert CD 1,0
(11)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimming Direction CD 1,minimize (org=maximize)

===================================================

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Is this a retrofit..........?

No auto-scan in code tags ...........maybe post one?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
STG 09, 31347, Adaption,
(4)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion A 0, Abblenlicht links (org=Blinken links Hellphase ) [permanent on=Abblenlicht links or when SPORT mode/Red door light=Ambientelicht 4]
(5)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion B 0,Blinken links Hellphase (org=not active)
(6)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimmwert AB 0,100 (org=100)
(8)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion C 0,Blinken links Dunkelphase (org=Blinken links Dunkelphase)
(9)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lichtfunktion D 0,not active
(10)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimmwert CD 0,0
(11)-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimming Direction CD 0,minimize (org=maximize)

(4)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion A 1, Abblenlicht links (org=Blinken links Hellphase )
(5)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion B 1,Blinken rechts Hellphase (org=not active)
(6)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert AB 1,100 (org=100)
(8)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion C 1,Blinken rechts Dunkelphase (org=Blinken links Dunkelphase)
(9)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lichtfunktion D 1,not active
(10)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert CD 1,0
(11)-Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimming Direction CD 1,minimize (org=maximize)

Why have you got Leuchte1BLK VRB20- Lichtfunction A 1 (i.e. the RIGHT lamp) set to "Abblenlicht links" which is the LEFT setting?

Surely this should be "Abblenlicht rechts"???

JazzDK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=285115
Why have you got Leuchte1BLK VRB20- Lichtfunction A 1 (i.e. the RIGHT lamp) set to "Abblenlicht links" which is the LEFT setting?

Surely this should be "Abblenlicht rechts"???

That is my typing error sorry......I copy paste it, sorry: CORRECTED

Last edited:

JazzDK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=285115

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
JazzDK: I'm confused!

First question: what precisely are you trying to do with the two front turn signal lamps? The Abblenlicht links/rechts command applies the dipped beam function to the front indicator Leuchte-set, so why do you ask about DRLs (which is more appropriately applied via the Tagfahrlicht command)?

Second question -have you considered the heat-effect of the changes on non-LED fittings? I ask because the lamp base holders for the turn signals will likely be rated for a 50% duty cycle. If the fittings are incandescent and if you apply a Leuchte command like the low beam function, the duty cycle will rise to 100% according to your changes. Based on the currently prevailing laws of electricity, this will quadruple the power that the lamp base will need to sustain (see explanation below)! I'm not familiar with the Leon 5F, but if you have incandescent indicator lamps - are you sure that this won't be a problem?

Third question: What priority rights do you want to give to the multiple lighting functions for the front turn signals under your changes? When designing leuchte channel changes so that more than one lighting function is applied to a single Leuchte-set, it's critical that consideration be given to how you want inevitable conflicts to be resolved -i.e. when you ask the lamp to perform multiple functions simultaneously. Designating the lighting functions appropriately to the "alpha" channels (i.e. the Lichtfunktion A, B.....G) determines the conflict resolution rules!

Don

EDIT: For a normal turn signal lamp base, the electrical current (let's nominally call it I) will be present for about 50% of the time - because the indicator will switch on/off for about the same time (lighting folk call this a 50% duty cycle - I did in my day). So the effective current will be I/2 and the heating effect from the turn signal activity on the lamp base holder will be given by the power formula Watts= (electrical current)^2*R (where R is the resistance of the lamp at the current I). So, the power is:

Watts - turn signal = 1/4*I^2*R

If you make the turn signal lamp act like a dipped beam which operates at 100% illumination, then the electrical current will be I (because the same resistance in the lamp will be driven for 100% of the time). So the heating effect using the formula above will be:

Watts - dipped beam = I^2*R

Hence Watts - dipped beam = 4 * Watts - turn signal ---Question: what happens to the lamp base holder?

QED

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

JazzDK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=285115
Hey DV52,
and thanks for replying ;)

JazzDK: I'm confused!

First question: what precisely are you trying to do with the two front turn signal lamps? The Abblenlicht links/rechts command applies the dipped beam function to the front indicator Leuchte-set, so why do you ask about DRLs (which is more appropriately applied via the Tagfahrlicht command)?

1 - My friend want to have US light on his car = Turn signal turned ON always (USlight). The turn signal should blink respectively Right or Left.
2 - DRL - The USlight function should also work, when the DRL are active (here I'm aware of the A,B..G, but probably I'm not experienced enough about the ruling. So I guess that we want the light to be on all the time, in all light setting, minus when the light switch is off.

Tagfahrlicht, maybe I should try to choose this setting or as a extra line, again.....trying to do the coding the right way ;)

Second question -have you considered the heat-effect of the changes on non-LED fittings?

HeHe, not really, but I get what you are saying and yes, the heat will off cause be increased allot.....this is a consideration my friend needs to be aware of. I will tell him ;)

Third question: What priority rights do you want to give to the multiple lighting functions for the front turn signals under your changes? When designing leuchte channel changes so that more than one lighting function is applied to a single Leuchte-set, it's critical that consideration be given to how you want inevitable conflicts to be resolved -i.e. when you ask the lamp to perform multiple functions simultaneously. Designating the lighting functions appropriately to the "alpha" channels (i.e. the Lichtfunktion A, B.....G) determines the conflict resolution rules!

Don, I can tell that you have allot of knowhow in this and i must say that this is not my strong suit!! I have used other peoples coding and most of them work flawlessly. But know when it does not work, I want to learn the basics and how the rules actually apply. There are so much to learn, but if I have some basic rules I could be better to find solutions my self ;)

Thanks allot Don for your input, it is apreciated

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
JazzDK: I'm still confused - but it's probably my thick Aussie accent (had problems with that previously in this forum)

Anyhow, I assume from your response that you recognise the issue of overheating the blinker lamp base - so if you proceed, it's with full knowledge of the associated risk! The other issue is whether the US style operation of the front blinkers is actually legal in Copenhagen - something else for you to consider if you move forward with this tweak.

So - from a technical perspective, here is an entirely untested suggestion of what I understand you want from your last response (which I admit from the outset, might actually be my mis-understanding):

SjsTj6y.png

Some things to highlight before you proceed:
  1. Don't implement the changes if the car doesn't have the values in the Existing Setting column
  2. I've used the nomenclature for the now obsolete RT version SW because the sequence of the Leutche channels makes more sense than if I used the current "tags" descriptors - sorry Uwe
  3. The DRL function has been added into the table, but I'm not sure from your response if you wanted this function to be included - there appears to be contradictory statements about this in your response. Just ignore this change if you DON'T want the DRL function
  4. A matter that I have left for your discretion is the diming value for the new lighting functions. I have suggested that you don't increase this beyond 50% for the reasons previously discussed.

Not sure if you are interested in the technicalities of the design, but the Standlicht allgemein command is the Parking light function that will operate in all positions of the rotary light switch except OFF and AUTO -in daylight. DRLs are implemented via the Tagfahrlicht command and both the parking light and DRL functions take-on the dimming level chosen in the Dimmwert AB channel. If you include both these lighting functions into the tweak, the blinker lamps will be illuminated ALL OF THE TIME that the ignition switch is turned-on

The priority sequence that I have given this tweak is for the blinker function to have the highest right of access to the lamps. If I were to reverse this priority, what would happen is that the illumination level of the other two lighting functions would over-ride the off part of the blinker activity (when the blinkers were operated at the same time as the other lighting functions). Although the changes would be much simpler, this would result in a very dulled turn signal for other drivers (because the off part of the turn-signal would not be at zero illumination).

To assign the blinkers to the highest priority, I've had to place the Hellphase command last in the alpha Leuchte sequence and this has forced me to include the intervening Dunkelphase command as a decoupling tool between the blinker activity and the other lighting functions.

Hope this makes sense.

Good luck - and please tells us your observations

Don

Last edited:

JazzDK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=285115
JazzDK: I'm still confused - but it's probably my thick Aussie accent (had problems with that previously in this forum)
HaHa, I think that you are a true engineer and are using your brain in another higher level than most of us, I mean this in a good way. ;) That mean you are questioning our motives and why, because it does not make sense for you, typical engineers way of thinking, we little people just do it because we can ;)

Anyhow, I assume from your response that you recognise the issue of overheating the blinker lamp base - so if you proceed, it's with full knowledge of the associated risk! The other issue is whether the US style operation of the front blinkers is actually legal in Copenhagen - something else for you to consider if you move forward with this tweak.
Yes we are NOW full aware of the danger and I have talked to my friend about it and he is now a bit nervous now!! And noo IT IS NOT LEAGAL in Denmark to drive with US lights. If the Cops do anything about it you will get a warning or a fine, worst case a Police appointment with the "federal motor garage" (no idea what it is called in english), where they will check your car if it is Leagal again.

Not sure if you are interested in the technicalities of the design, but the Standlicht allgemein command is the Parking light function that will operate in all positions of the rotary light switch except OFF and AUTO -in daylight. DRLs are implemented via the Tagfahrlicht command and both the parking light and DRL functions take-on the dimming level chosen in the Dimmwert AB channel. If you include both these lighting functions into the tweak, the blinker lamps will be illuminated ALL OF THE TIME that the ignition switch is turned-on

I'm very linterrested in the technicalities of the structures of the design and for that I'm very happy for your informations!!!! You have read me spot on and I think your information will work, will test it when I can.

------

Done, do you have any information or list about the naming of the lights on our cars. The coding does not provide with this information, you need to know beforehand.

Thanks again Done...you are really my savior!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back