2009 GTI TSI Dreaded P0016 Code

Zoidbort

Reaction score
Hello All

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.
I have had my GTI for about 2.7 years and it has been super reliable for me without any issue, minus the typical coil pack issues.
Went to drive the wife to work yesterday morning and instead of the usual turn over once and start, it struggled to start for about 3 seconds before finally starting and I thought that was odd but did not look at the dash to see if the CEL was on.
Half way through the drive I looked down and noticed the CEL.

I have a 8" Android touchscreen deck in my car with Torque so I did a scan expecting to see a (very small) evaporative leak but instead was met with the evil P0016.
I cleared the code and kept driving as I was experiencing nothing out of the norm, no noise, rattling, rough idling/running, acceleration, etc issues...everything seemed perfectly fine.
Started doing research once home and of course it can be numerous things at the root so I took it to Ellice Auto here in Victoria and the techs were stumped as well.
He used their VAG and everything was dead on regarding idle, timing, etc.
They pulled the plugs on the valve cover and visually checked the cam and that too seemed OK.
Now my oil was slightly low so I thought there might have been too little of pressure for the system to auto correct the timing but the oil addition made no difference.
The tech told me my sensors should be OK since the crank sensor would not even allow my car to start if faulty and the cam sensor seemed to have the correct voltage going to it however he did not check for continuity on the cam sensor but rather tested the voltage to it via the wiring which would give voltage regardless of a faulty sensor or not so I will check the continuity on that sensor today to be certain.

The tech advised me they would have to remove the valve cover and timing chain covers to see what is going on as they were totally stumped as too am I.
Any ideas on what could be causing this P0016 when the ca, minus a delayed start, appears to be running fine?
Would a tone ring cuyase this but still have the car run normally?
Thanks for the help! :thanks:

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
hey sorry to hear the p0016, not enough info for any good advise. as the administrator would tell you "auto-scan please". also log cam to crank correlation. how low was the oil describe in qrts.

Zoidbort

Reaction score
hey sorry to hear the p0016, not enough info for any good advise. as the administrator would tell you "auto-scan please". also log cam to crank correlation. how low was the oil describe in qrts.

Yeah it stinks.
I was just a little over a quart low.
I will run a scan tomorrow and post the results.

Back