VW Touareg 7P Adaptive Cruise Control Retrofit

cgalford

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200908
I’m working on retrofitting ACC to my 2013 Toaureg TDI Sport w/Nav (US Model – VW does not offer this feature here on any Touareg). Usually the ACC is paired with other driver assistance systems, like lane departure warning, but on the UK model configurator it is possible to order ACC without the other systems which gives me hope that there exists a coding configuration to make this work. The wiring and installation are trivial compared to the coding so any help or input is greatly appreciated. The parts I will be getting 7P6 907 561 Radar Sensor Master, 7P6 907 541 Radar Sensor Slave, and 7P6 953 502 C ACC stalk (whole assembly).

I’m using this documented Q7 retrofit as a start:

http://audiforum.us/threads/adaptive-cruise-control-acc-retrofit.13441/

Coding:

Engine ECU – Need coding. [From Q7 - Engine LOGIN-II (do not use this codes until ACC sensor is in place, CP removed, and no errors in gateway), 16167 - Deactivate Cruise Control System, 13647 - ACC Activation] Is there any way to confirm this is correct?

ABS Control Unit - Need coding. The Q7 page speaks of an added sensor required for ACC and hill hold assist. My Touareg (and I think all of them) already has Hill Assist functionality so I don’t think any additional parts are needed here. [Q7 - 0562321 - Activation of ACC functions this is valid for 3.0 TDI engines] Is there any way to confirm this is correct?

Instrument cluster – VCDS has ACC mapped

RNS 850 - VCDS has ACC mapped

Steering Wheel – Nothing in VCDS but my coding (000015) is only 3 bits away from one with ACC (000C9D).

Radar Sensors – Supposedly these have some mapping in VCDS, won’t know until I hook them up.

CAN Gateway - - VCDS has both ACC modules mapped. In the Audi retrofits that I've found they speak of needing a different CAN Gateway that supports Extended CAN. I think all 7P Touareg Gateways support this already.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

cgalford

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200908
Everything I have found refers to the windshield mounted camera as the lane departure camera, but I have found a few descriptions of the camera processing unit that have the phrase "auto distance regulation". Does anyone know if it's possible for the ACC system to operate without the lane departure camera and its controller?

rcroman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=204320
Did you have any success with this effort?

I am VERY interested in retrofitting ACC on my 2014 TDI R-Line.

-Russ

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Welcome to the forum Russ.

Do you really want to fit the big ACC sensor on the front?

ACC_Sensor.jpg

Adaptive Cruise Control retrofitted in Passat B6

rcroman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=204320
Yes... if I understand it correctly, the sensor goes under the VW badge on the front of the Treg.

-Russ

cgalford

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200908
The 2011+ uses two radar sensors, a slave and a master, which are just inboard of the fog lights. I think the R-Line front spoiler in the US has the cutouts there. I was unable to find any instances of radar being used without the windshield mounted camera (lane departure warning) and the additional camera processing unit. The processing unit and the radar are the only components that use flexray so I would image they are strongly tied together. I emailed Ross Tech to see if there is coding mapped out where the radar will work without the camera, possibly with reduced functionality but the response I got back was basically "we have some stuff mapped for that module, but we won't tell you what it is, you will have to connect to a car with the module to find out".

To run the LDW camera you would need the correct windshield for it which I haven't found a way to source in the US. It looks like LDW is available on the Cayenne so if the windshields are interchangeable that may work but I haven't looked into this.

rcroman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=204320
Thanks for the reply. I ended up finding the radar modules (master & slave) on eBay, as well as the different steering column switch assembly. I'll trying hooking everything up and enabling ACC via VAG-COM and see what happens... will report back here.

cgalford

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=200908
I am very eager to hear your results. If you don't already have a copy of Elsawin I can send you some PDF prints if you PM me.

rcroman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=204320
I found the radar sensor modules and the steering wheel switch module on eBay. So far I have received one of the radar sensors and found to my delight that it can be installed without removing the front bumper. On my `14 R-Line, the lower front bumper has plastic inserts around the fog lights. The inserts are held in by plastic clips and are easily removable, revealing the bays for the radar sensors with threaded holes and studs for mounting them already in place. The sensors can be finagled in from behind the bumper and jockeyed into position to be bolted in.

The part I'm struggling with now is how to connect the sensors into the CAN bus. The pinout is mentioned on the Audi thread above. But where should they connect to? The CAN gateway? Where is that located?

bsa500

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=142452
Touareg 2012.

I found the radar sensor modules and the steering wheel switch module on eBay. So far I have received one of the radar sensors and found to my delight that it can be installed without removing the front bumper. On my `14 R-Line, the lower front bumper has plastic inserts around the fog lights. The inserts are held in by plastic clips and are easily removable, revealing the bays for the radar sensors with threaded holes and studs for mounting them already in place. The sensors can be finagled in from behind the bumper and jockeyed into position to be bolted in.
The part I'm struggling with now is how to connect the sensors into the CAN bus. The pinout is mentioned on the Audi thread above. But where should they connect to? The CAN gateway? Where is that located?

Hi! I am new in the forum.
I am working with retrofitting acc to my Touareg 2012! I am very interested in the progress with yours projects!
Thanks!

tamorgen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=9595
I’m working on retrofitting ACC to my 2013 Toaureg TDI Sport w/Nav (US Model – VW does not offer this feature here on any Touareg). Usually the ACC is paired with other driver assistance systems, like lane departure warning, but on the UK model configurator it is possible to order ACC without the other systems which gives me hope that there exists a coding configuration to make this work. The wiring and installation are trivial compared to the coding so any help or input is greatly appreciated. The parts I will be getting 7P6 907 561 Radar Sensor Master, 7P6 907 541 Radar Sensor Slave, and 7P6 953 502 C ACC stalk (whole assembly).

I’m using this documented Q7 retrofit as a start:

http://audiforum.us/threads/adaptive-cruise-control-acc-retrofit.13441/

Coding:

Engine ECU – Need coding. [From Q7 - Engine LOGIN-II (do not use this codes until ACC sensor is in place, CP removed, and no errors in gateway), 16167 - Deactivate Cruise Control System, 13647 - ACC Activation] Is there any way to confirm this is correct?

ABS Control Unit - Need coding. The Q7 page speaks of an added sensor required for ACC and hill hold assist. My Touareg (and I think all of them) already has Hill Assist functionality so I don’t think any additional parts are needed here. [Q7 - 0562321 - Activation of ACC functions this is valid for 3.0 TDI engines] Is there any way to confirm this is correct?

Instrument cluster – VCDS has ACC mapped

RNS 850 - VCDS has ACC mapped

Steering Wheel – Nothing in VCDS but my coding (000015) is only 3 bits away from one with ACC (000C9D).

Radar Sensors – Supposedly these have some mapping in VCDS, won’t know until I hook them up.

CAN Gateway - - VCDS has both ACC modules mapped. In the Audi retrofits that I've found they speak of needing a different CAN Gateway that supports Extended CAN. I think all 7P Touareg Gateways support this already.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

cgalford,
Did you ever complete this retrofit? I'm in the process of gathering all of the parts. One thing you didn't add, is that if you are retrofitting this to a 2011-2014 Touareg, you need the European fog light cowls. ACC wasn't introduced on the 7P in the US/Canada until 2015, when the Touareg received a facelift, and uses a different front cowling to support ACC.

So, instead of these:
c2b8602s-960.jpg

You need these:
s-l225.jpg

I also looked up the wiper stalk. It is the correct model for what you want to do, but if you ever plan on adding Lane Departure (I know, new windshield), you need a different stalk. I'm still trying to locate that part number, but the parts catalog for 2016 isn't readily online yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe
Back