Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New VCDS Hex-Net User

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

New VCDS Hex-Net User

I am totally new to this type of device and have some questions. I figure I would try here before I call support.

Prerequisites:
    I have been able to connect to the Hex-Net and clear a few codes after doing a tune-up on my car
    I have a 2009 Audi A6 3.0T

Questions:
    Which manual should I use for the Hex-Net?
    How can I release my EPB so I can change the rear rotors and pads? The video for doing this is for the VCDS and not the Hex-Net and the fields are different.
    NOTE: This was costly for me to do yesterday because I had rented a garage heater to do this and now I have to pay for another days rental and I lost precious hours trying to figure it out.
    How can I DL the missing codes it says I will be prompted to do once the autoscan is complete?
    How can i clear the "brake" and "Service Due" on my dash?
    Do I plug this into my car when the car if off and then turn the key to the on position once this is done? I have done this so far with success.
    Do I have to have the car running when I perform certain diagnostics?

I look forward to hearing back from anyone that can assist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brknhalo View Post
    There is no manual per se. As a Beta product, the documentation currently consists of the FAQs and some videos. Also, the HEX-NET is an interface, a piece of hardware. I suppose you are asking about a manual for VCDS-Mobile? Use of VCDS-Mobile is very similar to VCDS.

How can I release my EPB so I can change the rear rotors and pads? The video for doing this is for the VCDS and not the Hex-Net and the fields are different.[/quote]
    Have you been to our Wiki page for the EPB in your car? The only really significant difference should be a couple of extra button presses, for example:

[Select]
    [53 - Parking Brake]
    [Functions]
    [Cloud Functions] (requires internet access)
    [Basic Settings - 04]

Or, use the HEX-NET as an interface for the classic version of VCDS.

NOTE: This was costly for me to do yesterday because I had rented a garage heater to do this and now I have to pay for another days rental and I lost precious hours trying to figure it out.
    I hate to sound unsympathetic, but the HEX-NET and VCDS-Mobile are clearly sold as a BETA product.

How can I DL the missing codes it says I will be prompted to do once the autoscan is complete?
    Have you tried [Options] -> [Check for updates] with you HEX-NET connected to a network that has internet access?

How can i clear the "brake" and "Service Due" on my dash?
    Brake should clear once you've successfully finished your brake job. "Service Due" will require tweaking some adaptation channels in the instrument cluster. On 2008 and newer Audis, there are three separate counters that can trigger "Service Due"... The first is for the normal oil change service, but there's also one for a mileage-based inspection and another for a time-based inspection. It may be most expedient to use VCDS for this.

Do I plug this into my car when the car if off and then turn the key to the on position once this is done?
    Shouldn't matter. The biggest caveat with the HEX-NET is that it may go into low-power sleep mode after a while if the ignition isn't on.

Do I have to have the car running when I perform certain diagnostics?
    For some procedures it is necessary to have the engine running. For others, it is necessary to have it NOT running.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    PS: Look what we found.. A previously unpublished video...

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Update

I was able to perform the rear brake maintenance after figuring out that I could only do the EPB release procedure while in the "cloud". The cloud is where the main point of contention on this Hex-Net. I will keep working with it and learning.

I need to figure out what I need to do to get rid of the "Service Due" on my dashboard. I believe to remove the "brake" warning is to follow the procedure for the A8, which is inputting the new pad width. I will post when that is done.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is the A6 does not require pad thickness to be entered.

Did you run the function test? Basic settings 010.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, I 'm pretty sure only the old (D3 platform / 4E Chassis) A8 needed that; it was the original car with EPB, and I haven't heard of any other, newer EPB system has needed the pad thickness entered manually; I believe they figure it out themselves when you run a function test.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can confirm pad thickness is not necessary on the C6.
    Simply followed the wiki instructions last summer when replacing brakes on a 2008.
    Last edited by jakematic; 03-03-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added link to wiki

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Update

I did perform the function test to no avail. I also ran another manual autoscan but found no fault codes pointing to that. I will be taking the car out today to run-in the new brakes and see if that clears anything up.

The parking brake is working fine as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Please post up a photo of whatever brake warning is still active in your instrument cluster, as we all an Auto-Scan from your car.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics

How do I attach a picture? To attach, I need to specify a URL?

This is all such a learning experience.

I did do the pad/rotor burnishing this morning (lots of smoke) but the pads icon and the brake warning are still there. I will also do another scan this morning.

What part, if not all, of the scan do you need me to copy in here? Would sending the pics and the scan be easier?

Regards,
    Last edited by brknhalo; 03-05-2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Undo the original post