VW-Audi useless parts and function trivia! Guess or state what's worthless!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
VW-Audi useless parts and function trivia...........

Post your story here or ask a guess and display the answer within 20 post guesses if no one gets it..........:thumbs:

Okay........ guess which part that was installed on all GJB MK4 98-2005 generation, & that was absolutely useless for function, and actually caused or induced a problem, & made it painful to work on for no reason whatsoever by wasting production costs, warranty time etc.

Guess which parts were they........and lets see who is sharp.

GO!

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
Okay........ guess which part that was installed on all GJB MK4 98-2005 generation, & that was absolutely useless for function, and actually caused or induced a problem, & made it painful to work on for no reason whatsoever by wasting production costs, warranty time etc.

How about the O1M automatic transmission?...LOL. Just kidding.

Off the top of my head, the little closed "duck billed" ends on the sunroof drains were a bad idea.
The soft touch coating on the interior panels was a bad idea imho.
The amp bases on the roof antennas was a bad idea...in my area at least (wasn't there a better way to do this?)
Edit: How about the fender insulation in the diesels?...

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Intake flapper motors on the V10 TDI. They look like a pair of electric throttle butterflies on top of the engine. As a general rule, diesel engines don't have intake butterflies (throttle is controlled by fuel metering).

The intake flappers shut for 3 seconds when you turn the car off, but are otherwise not doing anything. The purpose is to reduce the rather abrupt way that diesel engines shut down (virtually instant). Were I the head of VW the owner's manual would have a single line saying "Note: Diesel engines stop abruptly because of the nature of high compression engines. It is completely normal".

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
The entire Webasto system in the left front fender of the V10 Touareg, which in ROW configuration allows the user to remotely pre-heat the engine and cabin while sipping their morning coffee. American's are too stupid/and or well lawyered up to allow such convenience in the US. So all it does is heat coolant after you start the engine, warming the whole mess up only slightly faster than not having it at all.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
How about the horse blanket material covering the oil pan and valve covers of the V10? It still sounds like a garbage truck.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Right now we are talking about the GJB 98-2005 ............ I appreciate the rants already. :thumbs:

Intake flapper motors on the V10 TDI. They look like a pair of electric throttle butterflies on top of the engine. As a general rule, diesel engines don't have intake butterflies (throttle is controlled by fuel metering).

The intake flappers shut for 3 seconds when you turn the car off, but are otherwise not doing anything. The purpose is to reduce the rather abrupt way that diesel engines shut down (virtually instant). Were I the head of VW the owner's manual would have a single line saying "Note: Diesel engines stop abruptly because of the nature of high compression engines. It is completely normal".

Nope........ it's a valid safety that will help the engine shut down, & in the event the turbo leaked oil into the intake stream and further prevent a run away engine.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
oh yeah, I remember those! An engine that will continue to feed itself fuel despite your efforts to turn it off. Don't worry, it will stop running when the crankcase runs dry.

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
Guess which parts were they........and lets see who is sharp.

GO!

You've got me stumped Jack...and I've had a bunch of these things.

Can you throw any hints out?...

I am assuming the item is not engine related as the ALH, BEW, and 2.0 Gas engines are all very different, as are the manual and auto trannies.

That should narrow it down to something electronic or chassis related.

Just my opinion, but I feel the snow screen and relief flapper devices in the intakes were a waste of plastic. I believe they disappeared in 2004 though when the air filters started coming with the extra fuzzy layer?

smokey08

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120732
I am thinking the tin inner door panel which the window regs are riveted to.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
oh yeah, I remember those! An engine that will continue to feed itself fuel despite your efforts to turn it off. Don't worry, it will stop running when the crankcase runs dry.
How many GALLONS of oil are in a V10 crankcase? ;)

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Can you throw any hints out?...

It is exhibited in all of these models..........

I am thinking the tin inner door panel which the window regs are riveted to.

Nope.........however, is very stupid indeed.
I could see the choice for a rivet from a cost aspect during production and would of said the plastic clips on said window regulators, that's a given though and well documented.

Smokey is warm with his thought process...........that's your hint Rembrant.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
If you've any mechanical sympathy; a diesel engine 'runaway' is not a pretty sight. :cry:

I know this pain all to well......... when I the shoe maker bypassed said safety device, & to get by on my own vehicle.
Then played later with gasoline vapor experiments........and it was an RPM TDI's just were not prepared to reach.

I just through out that display piston last month..........I should still have the rod.

BOOM!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If you've any mechanical sympathy; a diesel engine 'runaway' is not a pretty sight. :cry:
Yep, you can say that again.

deep-water-horizon-fire.jpg

The story I've heard is that a methane bubble from the well got into the intakes of the diesel generators, which lacked over-speed shut-down via an intake flap.

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
My version is - black plastic "something" between door lock assy and door plate.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
My version is - black plastic "something" between door lock assy and door plate.

That's a good answer Martin, however, not a part that induces a problem and does meet the other two criteria......:thumbs:

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
This part do nothing but makes some noises inside door if it is once removed and not thrown away but fitted back incorrectly :D

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Not Golf/Jetta/Bora but Audi A4 B5, A6 C5, VW Passat B5. "Dust valves" in water drains under battery and under brake servo. Useless part causing a lot of problems when clogged.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Not limited to those cars, and doesn't make it painful to work on, but... intake "snow screens" that clog quickly and easily. They disappear from every VW I've owned.

Jason

Back