Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help please 2.0TDI CR Cambelt

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Help please 2.0TDI CR Cambelt

Hi Guys first post hear and hope someone can help.

I have a Audi B8 2.0tdi Common rail engine of which I have changed the cam belt on using the correct tools and following the workshop manual procedure to the letter, of trying to start the car it started but would then stop so hocked up the lead and sure enough it showed up Cambelt misalignment so rechecked everything and all was correct

Did a bit of investigation and found that the cambelt cover also has an alignment mark on it which when put into TDC was out by a few mm, so put pins into cam and pump and slackened blots off and used cam cover alignment and retightened bolts and hay presto all started straight away and without any error codes.

My Question is: Is there anyway of checking the timing using vagcom on this Common Rail engine. if not have you any suggestions on how I can make sure that the belt is set to TDC as said I have used the marks on the Cam cover and pulley belt.

many Thanks

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to use the 2x pins to lock lock the cam & pump pully. Then also lock the crank with the correct locking tool T10050. The crank puly itself has a damper section and as it gets older will defenately throw out the bottom timing.

3. Likes Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RyMar View Post
    You have to use the 2x pins to lock lock the cam & pump pully. Then also lock the crank with the correct locking tool T10050. The crank puly itself has a damper section and as it gets older will defenately throw out the bottom timing.
    Thanks for the info, I know about the tools ETC but was asking the question if there was anyway of checking timing using vagcom on a Common Rail engine like the TDI Timing Checker on a VE TDI engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can view these: [01-Engine] > [ Meas. Blocks - 08] > [Group 004] filed 4. Synchronization angle should be between -3 and +3.

VBR,
    B

6. Likes RyMar, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boki Ar View Post
    I think you can view these: [01-Engine] > [ Meas. Blocks - 08] > [Group 004] filed 4. Synchronization angle should be between -3 and +3.

VBR,
    B
    Hi and thanks for the info but from what I can see only the VE TDI engine can be checked this way. As I have the CR engine I am asking if there is anything I can electrically test to make sure the timing is 100% or is it a case of just using old ways of lining the marks up?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is your engine code?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is your engine code?
    Hi Raymar.

My engine code is: CAGA

Post Thanks / Like
    CAGA is fitted to Audi and Seat post a How to post an Auto-Scan

11/07-03/12 AUDI A4 2.0 TDI-CR
    09/09-05/16 AUDI A4 AVANT 2.0 TDI-CR
    08/09-05/10 AUDI Q5 QUATTRO 2.0 TDI-CR
    09/09-03/12 AUDI A5 SPORTBACK 2.0 TDI-CR

Update: if anyone wants my VAG Engine & Transmission Codes app PM me?
    Last edited by Keithuk; 10-08-2016 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Update
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

11. Likes Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to use the 3x locking tools to lock the crank, cam and pump. Timing marks on covers/pullies is not accurate. Some people will use tipex but it is not accurate. There is a electronic way but a bit difficult. Use a 2 channel ossiloscope on the crank and camshaft snsors and check if they are in phase.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to use the 3x locking tools to lock the crank, cam and pump. Timing marks on covers/pullies is not accurate. Some people will use tipex but it is not accurate. There is a electronic way but a bit difficult. Use a 2 channel ossiloscope on the crank and camshaft snsors and check if they are in phase.
    Thanks for the info RyMar, did the work about three for weeks ago but was asking if it could be checked like the VE TDI engine can be checked, but you have confirmed this is not possible and only the Use off a 2 channel oscilloscope will do what I am looking for, is this what is used in the Audi workshops to make sure the job is 100% or do they just line up tings with the tools mentioned.

Thanks again.