Case Study: 2007 Jetta horn issue....

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
ST?ID=70678

Tech calls up, the (get the f*ck out of my way) horn not working. Tech had already replaced the clock spring and steering wheel electronics. Copy coding from old module and applied to the new module. Was about to replace the J519 Central Electronics. Had tech do the Output Test on the J519, horns work.

Steering wheel electronics doesn't see horn request. Run the VIN, I show it should have part number 1K0-953-549-AK for Steering Wheel electronics, it has 1K0-953-549-BK. Tech double checks with dealer, 1K0-953-549-AK was in fact superseded to 1K0-953-549-BK.

I ask what was the part number of the original steering wheel electronics... "1K0-953-549-BK". No, the original one, not the replacement. "1K0-953-549-BK".

So the long and short of it, some one had already replaced the steering wheel electronics and had the soft coding messed up. This guy puts in what would be the 3rd steering wheel electronics, but copies over bad soft coding. Once I sorted out the soft coding, the horn worked.

Oddly, when he put the original clock spring back in, the horn didn't work. We suspect another shop replaced the steering wheel electronics, didn't code it or anything and then the car ended up in this guy's bay with no knowledge of previous work.

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Similar situation from my own experience - I was fighting with CO and HC over limits on BAD engine (exactly engine code is BAD and it is bad!). After three weeks of testing everything possible and even impossible I finally got another ECU, adapted it to immo and here we go - fault codes for NOx sensor appeared. Conclusion was, that someone changed original software to cheat fault codes and MIL, instead of replacing the defective NOx sensor, that is expensive and hard to find part.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
FOD strikes when you least expect that's why JPPSG.

Always verify and cross check everything.

Back