Audi Allroad year2000 2.5 TDI Airbag Controller.

paulo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136042
Can anyone tell me whether I should be able to 'talk' to the Airbag Controller on this model. I am not sure if all controllers/modules etc are accessable on this 'older' model.

I am use Ross-Tech VAG-COM HEX-USB+CAN Interface.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, you should be able to talk to the airbag control module.

-Uwe-

paulo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136042
Thanks for that. The reason I ask is, I recently took my Allroad to my local independant Audi workshop to have brake pads changed. While it was there they needed to take the drivers seat out as water had got in through an overflowing plenum chamber. After drying out they put seat back in place but they could not get the airbag warning light to go out.

They say they have checked the plugs under the seat but their diagnostics will not 'talk' to the airbag controller so they cannot look at fault codes etc.

My AR has been with them for nearly two weeks now and they dont seem to know what to do about the problem. They say it will probably need a new airbag controller/module and that it can only be coded by a main Audi dealer. This is going to cost my an arm and a leg, thats assuming the main dealer will take on a job that another garage started.

Anyone got any info on airbag controllers as I was going to take a look at the fault myself with my Ross-Tech.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
If you could find similar car with same safety features and numbers of airbag than you could find a new airbag controller from junk yard, but it is a risky business.
I once was able to locate a exact match to mkiv airbag controller, it had same p/n, number of bags, year and something else. :)

paulo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=136042
Thanks for that but I dont think it is quite that simple. My independant Audi workshop said the controller has to have a security code that is for that particular individual vehicle not just a code for that particular range of vehicles. Not sure how right he is on that point. Anyone know different??

Have a look at the FAQ on Ross-Tech website and there is quite a lot there about the airbag module. It says, "if an airbag has been deployed then the module has to be change because it cannot be reset" so if you buy a second-hand module and it came from a wrecked car then as likely as not the module would have tripped so is now useless. Anyone got any thoughts about that??? Another point, is an airbag module the same thing as an airbag controller???

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks for that but I dont think it is quite that simple. My independant Audi workshop said the controller has to have a security code that is for that particular individual vehicle not just a code for that particular range of vehicles. Not sure how right he is on that point. Anyone know different??
On newer Audis, Airbag modules use "Component Protection", but this doesn't apply to your car.

Have a look at the FAQ on Ross-Tech website and there is quite a lot there about the airbag module. It says, "if an airbag has been deployed then the module has to be change because it cannot be reset" so if you buy a second-hand module and it came from a wrecked car then as likely as not the module would have tripped so is now useless. Anyone got any thoughts about that???
My personal thought is: I would rather drive a car with NO airbags than one which has components with a questionable history installed.

Another point, is an airbag module the same thing as an airbag controller???
Yes. The terms "Airbag Controller" and "Airbag Module" tend to be used interchangeably. The full phrase should probably be, "Airbag Control Module".

-Uwe-

stevecrk

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=59799
I have noticed, that communication sometimes are not "straightforward" with the some of the "old" Audi Airbag ECUs around Modelyear 1999-2000.

This one is not VCDS specific, it also happens, when you use a different scan tool.

Most of the time, I got communication after a few attempts, and what I see mostly the old Airbag 7 systems are affected (with the 50 pins yellow connector).

Did you try to communicate with a battery chager connected to the car? Or with engine running on idle? Sometimes a bit of change in the system voltage help you to regain the ability to communicate with the module.

I would inspect the supply voltages (voltage drop, loose connector, fuse box, etc), grounds, and K-Line, and if everything is fine, then I would replace the airbag control module to a new one.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Did you try to communicate with a battery chager connected to the car? Or with engine running on idle? Sometimes a bit of change in the system voltage help you to regain the ability to communicate with the module.

I would inspect the supply voltages (voltage drop, loose connector, fuse box, etc), grounds, and K-Line, and if everything is fine, then I would replace the airbag control module to a new one.

Good advice.
Also recommend the use of DeOxit or similar on contacts of wiring/modules in susceptible environs.
[pro tip: this does NOT mean WD40]

Be ultra careful working on these.... DrPeter will not be happy otherwise.
Nor will I for that matter if an unsafe procedure is used ;)

Back