type17volkswagen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=12115
Car - 2015 VW Jetta Hybrid
Genuine VW Alarm Kit - 5C7 054 620

I need help retrofitting the alarm kit to my car. I've installed the hardware, updated the BCM's bytes and bits via VCDS, yet the install isn't working as designed.
1. The alarm-only horn (small one under the cowl) doesn't make a sound when arming or alarming. The sound comes from the car's horns.
2. The alarm will arm with the hood up. I know the hood latch sensor is functioning properly because the instrument cluster shows the hood in the color red when it is open and white when the hood is closed.
3. The alarm will sound when armed if I open a door - but it uses the car's horns and as mentioned, isn't recognizing the hood sensor.

I had a 2013 Jetta and installed the kit with no hassles using VCDS. I noticed in the instructions to the alarm kit the information about ODIS and SVM:
-When the ignition is switched off, connect the vehicle diagnostic tester with ODIS service to the vehicle diagnostics socket.
-Switch on the ignition
-Start the vehicle diagnostics tester and select "Diagnosis" opening mode. Then identify the vehicle.
-After querying the control units, jump to "Software version management' and at "Retrofit actions", enter the 5 digit action code "3370E" and "accept": after the code is entered the online connection is created and software update carried out.

Does VCDS do ODIS and SVM? Is this something only a dealer can do? I asked and they wanted 2-hours! of labor :banghead:. Does the SVM "action code" just change bytes and bits in the BCM or is it doing something more? If it is just changing bytes and bits, anyone know what I'm missing???

I had a Mini Cooper and BMW had the SVM so I'm wondering if it's the same concept. To retrofit the rear fog and Sirius module the dealer had to plug in and connect with BMW to make things work. Has VW gone that route too?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I had a Mini Cooper and BMW had the SVM so I'm wondering if it's the same concept. To retrofit the rear fog and Sirius module the dealer had to plug in and connect with BMW to make things work. Has VW gone that route too?
Yes, SVM needs a connection to the VAG servers.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Does the SVM "action code" just change bytes and bits in the BCM or is it doing something more?
Good question. Making an Auto-Scan and a Adaptation Channel Map from your BCM before you let the dealer do this, then do both again afterwards and comparing them would go a long way toward answering it.

-Uwe-

rjsummer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21159
So, here's some info... I have a 2014 Jetta treadle plus TDI. (Like an S Jetta in the USA) Anyway, I bought the alarm retrofit kit 5C6 998 003. Installed it all, couldn't get the Meeper horn to work. Enabled alarm with my VCDS, noththing. Took it to the dealer for the action code for the retrofit. It wouldn't take the action code. They didnt charge me, but they couldn't activate the meeper horn. So, in my frustration, I compared my son in laws 2013 coding for the central electrical module to mine. I messed around a bit trying parts of his coding on my module which is not the exact same part number. I've also discovered that manually entering a code number in the bit window CHANGES AVAILABLE OPTION BOXES. (who knew?) Anyway, when I changed the module coding from its factory coding to xx xx xx xx xx 23 xx... (23 made the meeper work) the meeper horn started working! So, it seems that a secure VW server is not needed as I thought. It appears that Action retrofit codes don't actually do anything more than code modules. I'm not positive about this, but in may case it's clear that I didn't need VW to enable the horn.
PLEASE NOTE ALSO, the kit did NOT come with the horn relay NEEDED to power the kit. Any questions , feel free to ask. So glad I got mine working after several months of frustration!!

Last edited:

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
SVM may do a lot of things. It may restore original coding, make a flash or do a retrofit solution.

Usually when done for retrofit solution it is done with SVM code. This action also may or may not update car PR data, so next time You go to order a part(Like cruise stalk), it is already changed on system and You will receive a correct stalk with cruise, instead of non-cruise(like from factory).

A SVM may also be used when dealing with SWAP functions, where it adds a PR-code(like cruise on MQB) to system and overwrites modules with secure key to enable cruise function.

Reactions: Uwe

rjsummer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21159
I totally understand and agree with you on all that. But my bottom line point is, I did what VW dealers couldn’t. The SVM didn’t work, the action code didn’t work. They sent me away with a sorry, I was able to do what I needed and wanted without their fancy non working codes. It is possible to get things working it seems, without the SVM that they make you think is absolutely necessary.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
It could also be that it didn't accept the code because you already made changes.

Back