"Teeving" VW vehicles!!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
The title to the news article says "Hackers now able to break into 100 million VWs" - probably nothing new to some of the more experienced folk here, but it was an interesting read for me!!

Four European researchers, led by Flavio Garcia from the University of Birmingham, have published a paper detailing how they successfully imitated the remote control key fob signals used by up to 100 million Volkswagen vehicles produced since 1995.
The paper details how the team was able to successfully produce valid key fob signals using around $US40 ($53.50) worth of electronics equipment, including a radio transmitter and receiver, battery, and circuit boards.

According to the researchers, there are four generations of Volkswagen Group key fobs, from 1995 until the introduction of Mark VII Golf, which employ a rolling code that’s encrypted by a single set of worldwide master keys.

With a bit of effort the team were able to isolate and reverse engineer the master keys, which they found hidden in components within the car’s internal communications and control systems.

Once the master keys were obtained, the team were able to easily replicate a key fob’s functionality after intercepting communication from it once, for example when an owner is locking or unlocking their car.

read more HERE

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
car.jpg

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^NZdubnurd: I've got a lazy $1Million (AUD) to invest in an innovative anti-theft system. Have patented your solution above yet?

Don

PS: you need to do further work on the bricks (IMO) - needs more bling if the product is going to attract the attention of punters!!

dingle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261477
Nice of them not to scratch the paint.
Now it's ready for the new set!

Is that Ross-Techs car park?

dingle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261477
Had a TT. Crashed it....

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Had a TT. Crashed it....

dingle:...... then you probably have a complete set of wheels that could be sold down south (very south) - but as vreihen says, the FX rate might be a tad problematic if you want more than $1 USD for them!

Don

Nope. Nobody at RT is socially confident enough to drive a TT. ;)

<=== Doesn't work at RT, and admits to owning/driving a TT..... ;)

Uwe/vreihen: hmmm........ don't agree, the TT looks like a bit of a "chick magnet" to me (even without wheels) - I might need to investigate buying one when I have another mid-life crisis!

Don

Last edited:
Back