Is "White Space" Expensive?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
[RANT]
Many posts seem to consist of one huge paragraph with no capitalisation or sentences and no gaps to separate different comments/thoughts.

These posts are REALLY difficult to read, sometimes I just don't bother as I get lost on the maze.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE use white space (spaces, newlines, WHY) to separate thoughts and make posts easier to read - more people will read and help then.
[/RANT]

Sorry, but unreadable posts have always irritated me on all forums, whether I'm only a member or a moderator/administrator.

ExcelAutos

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263112
I completely agree mate they're useless and no one can understand them they can be really annoying I especially hate it when they don't use punctuation I think sone of it is illiteracy or perhaps just bone idleness nonetheless it is very annoying and sorry but couldn't resist this one just to illustrate

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Part of the problem is IMO the use of mobile devices which makes writing/typing already hard enough and due to the limited display and keyboard people who write stuff on them tend to apply less care as if they were writing on a regular computer with a decent keyboard and screen. That said, there are exceptions - one of them being mobile devices which actually have keyboards and possibly more trained users (BB FTW!). Another big reason is IMO that this is purely online, no face to face is happening and people tend to not treat the other side with respect which they themselves request in reverse.

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
I completely agree mate they're useless and no one can understand them they can be really annoying I especially hate it when they don't use punctuation I think sone of it is illiteracy or perhaps just bone idleness nonetheless it is very annoying and sorry but couldn't resist this one just to illustrate

you agree, but you not use DOT or even comma....

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
hmmm.......... if I can proffer an alternative view?

English, in it's written form is a cow of a language!

It's obtuse to spell, sentence construction is not intuitive and English grammar is best described as an arcane rule-set known in its entirety to no-one but ancient druids and caldron welding witches! In days of yore, when life moved more slowly, leisurely folk had the time and patience to make the written word into an art-form resulting (I suspect) in the messy and tangled rules that constitutes good English grammar. But these not those times! In today's hurried and hassled world, we constantly demand efficiency in everything that we do as a right for us paying attention.

The new way of written communication, with it's abbreviations, its truncated sentence structure and absence of punctuation is a more efficient way of conveying information (IMHO). I'm all for it -if it's written in a manner that makes sense to the reader, then I say -let's abandon the strict rules of English grammar! After all, writing is a just a means to an end - it's not an end in it's own right!!

Don

PS: Just as an example of the idiocy of the English written language, even the word "phonetic" is not phonetic - how crazy is that?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I well remember when working for a multinational telecomms company a "lesson" we were all reminded of by someone with a First Class Honours Degree in English from Oxford University - she reminded us that as an R&D team all we produced was paper. Think about it, an R&D team just produces instructions to Production how to make (hopefully) millions of the widget they design, nothing more nor less than that.

So clarity of communication is the important thing, not necessarily use of correct grammar or spelling - provided that doesn't "muddy" the message - even then what's wrong with using a spell checker (even my iPhone has one of those).

I don't like, but don't have a real issue with phonetic spelling (so long as it doesn't confuse as in "How did I break my breaks?" which in a car context should be "How did I break my brakes?") but I do have an issue with not using white space (spaces or newlines) to separate thoughts or comments - because it just makes the post amazingly difficult to read, and more importantly amazingly difficult to understand what the problems is and/or the question being asked.

P.S> English is the worst possible mongrel of a language as it has plagiarised words from most other languages!

Reactions: Uwe

ExcelAutos

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263112
Nahhhhhhh, no shots at all.

It was an attempt at humour, tongue in cheek reply....... At least Eric got it :)

I guess some people just don't get the laughs? No problem and no drama, sigh

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Nahhhhhhh, no shots at all.

It was an attempt at humour, tongue in cheek reply....... At least Eric got it :)

I guess some people just don't get the laughs? No problem and no drama, sigh
I got it too :rolleyes:

ExcelAutos

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263112
Lol.... Cheers Dave :)

I forget it's a multinational forum with differing humour tastes.

Back