Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Too many communiction errors to continue!"

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe, thanks for translating, 'dodgy' here in English means intermitantly working/not working. This situation is most definately in a not working state, no intermitant at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Stuff sometimes goes bad.
    -Uwe-
    hence leading to the adjective "Stuffed"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gottacar View Post
    Hi Dana, 10th digit is 'X', arrived in UK near the end of January 1999.
    'Concert' radio factory fitted.
    Autoscan will prompt radio to display 'diag' at the appropriate stage of scanning. CD changer in the trunk/boot area has previously physically been removed and coding reflects this absence, module is reporting no fault codes. I have no idea why 56-radio is not in the autoscan, but have been reading about unpredictability of all installed module appearing in the 'final report'
    OK a factory 56-Radio that isn't communicating could be the end result of a problem on the K-line, for example a faulty controller such as the 17-Instruments, or it could be the reason that you are experiencing communication issues with this vehicle.

I don't think this vehicle uses internal CAN communication to/from the 17-Instrument cluster and the other installed modules so I would:

1) Unplug the 56-Radio and see if 17 communicates.
    2) Unplug 17 with 56 reconnected and see if and all other modules in the vehicle communicate.

If unplugging any one of the installed modules resolves the communication issue you can be reasonably confident that you found the bad one.

3. Likes jakematic, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    OK a factory 56-Radio that isn't communicating
    err, umm

Quote Originally Posted by Gottacar
    Autoscan will prompt radio to display 'diag' at the appropriate stage of scanning... ...module is reporting no fault codes
    Autoscan will prompt radio to display 'diag' (on the radio screen) at the appropriate stage of scanning

"module is reporting no fault codes" = 56-radio > 'no fault codes found'

i think this constitutes communication between radio and VCDS ?

Post Thanks / Like
    i think this constitutes communication between radio and VCDS ?
    Sure, 56 could be communicating .... but that communication could be intermittent at best. Audi radios from this era were notorious for causing communication problems so that was my only suggestion before condemning 17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those radios were notoriously difficult to communicate with, and they will clamp the K-Line to ground if they don't have any power, but when they're working as intended, they don't usually cause problems communicating with other modules. The ABS modules, on the other hand...

Silly question: Have you tried cold-booting the entire car?

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    okay, so if I'm reading this right...
    "too many communication errors to continue" could mean any component or module on the car (such as radio or ABS) could have an invisible(to VCDS)fault that prevents effective comms with another module on the car.

endogenous versus exogenous
    The fault could be intrinsic to the instrument cluster (such as a cracked pcb conductor, corrupted chip data or whatever) or external to the cluster such as ABS controller, radio, etc.

Is it therefore possible to isolate the K-line from all but the cluster, to exclude anything but the cluster ?

Cluster multi-pin connector, 32-pin, blue, [ 25 - K wire ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is it therefore possible to isolate the K-line from all but the cluster, to exclude anything but the cluster ?
    IMO, it would be relatively difficult to do that with the cluster installed in the car. If I wanted to test communications with the cluster alone, I'd pull the cluster out and connect only Terminal 30 (unswitched power), Terminal 15 (switched power), GND, and K to the cluster and see if it then communicates reliably.

-Uwe-

9. Likes jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone , I'm getting constant communication errors from 4 different vw cars all mk5&6 now , I have noticed this since doing a software upgrade 17.8.
    Can someone run me with few suggestions. I have had the cable now for 3 years and dedicated laptop with XP Running . Nothing interferes with this as it's the only app running and no internet.

I have noticed that if after first few interruptions x8 or so , I do another pass at scanning it will successfully go through all the modules . But not the first time .
    This is the same for all my other vw's and and Audi as well

Any recommendations?

Cheers
    Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Also it's worth noting that communication errors appear with different controll modules at different passes / on same car scan .so it does not interrupt at same sections .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Specs on the "dedicated laptop with XP" please?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.