Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vcds fault

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Vcds fault

Ive a geniune vcds interface .updated to 16.8 working great .so plugged charger in the cig lighter .to find some idiot had it wired wrong .luckly my lead still works .but i have to use a seperate earth to the laptop so vcds powers up.
    Any advise on which pins to check

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure someone will point out that you shouldn't charge the laptop from the car cig charger at the same time as the VCDS is plugged into vehicle. As its a sure fire way of letting the smoke genies out

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Powernut View Post
    Ive a geniune vcds interface .updated to 16.8 working great .so plugged charger in the cig lighter .to find some idiot had it wired wrong .luckly my lead still works .but i have to use a seperate earth to the laptop so vcds powers up.
    Any advise on which pins to check
    Ground is pin 4 of the OBD-II socket. If running a separate ground works, then I would start looking there.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
    I'm sure someone will point out that you shouldn't charge the laptop from the car cig charger at the same time as the VCDS is plugged into vehicle. As its a sure fire way of letting the smoke genies out
    It really depends on the charger. Decent ones are OK to use. But there are also some cheap ones that can cause damaging ground loops. When in doubt, test it first. See this page.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks pin 4 of interface and idea on the usb side i can see 4 pins ? Thought id check first with multmeter ..

As interface wont work without a earth from the car to laptop ...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mines a Geniune acer incar charger .used it for the past 4 years with no issuises with interfaces tbh .until i plugged it in to a vechical not knowing the cig lighter wires had been swopped around tbh ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Powernut View Post
    Mines a Geniune acer incar charger .used it for the past 4 years with no issuises with interfaces tbh .until i plugged it in to a vechical not knowing the cig lighter wires had been swopped around tbh ...
    Think about what that does. You're laptop's ground will then be connected to the car's +12V... When you plug the interface in, it connects the car's ground to the laptop's ground, and if the latter connected to +12V, something somewhere has to give...

-Uwe-

8. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pin4 of the obd conector has no earth to any of the 4 pinsof the usb ..thats the problem..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I guess you're going to have to open up the interface and find out what gave way to the ground-loop current.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive opened it carnt see any tracer marks .or smells fuse is fine .grr