Thread: Found my "Unicorn" (New 2004 A8L)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Found my "Unicorn" (New 2004 A8L)

Long story bearable, my friend (IRL) "Awdinut" is a broker of fine automobiles. I told him I wanted a Sage Green A8L, preferably loaded, of course. He said so few were imported to the US - the paint color was only offered in '04 - I'd never find a good one. And he has been to many an auction.
    As my mechanic tortured my beloved "Audrey" (Beige Pearl '04 A8L) and predicted it'd need a new steering column and access control module and install of above (~$4000 at the dealer only) , I started looking for a replacement. Amazingly, one came up for sale ~10 miles from my mechanic's shop (which is almost an hour from my house)! Sage-friggin-green and loaded with "only" 90k miles. Clean carfax, some records, and Charcoal interior! (We'd thought they only came with beige interior - not that there's anything wrong with that). I bought it and fixed my car's immo problem the same day. Who says there's no silver lining!

I've installed a S8 exhaust on it and it sounds good. Can't wait to have two A8Ls in the garage!

-Tom
    Last edited by aTOMic; 08-30-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: > --> ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That car's not "loaded" -- it doesn't even have the air-conditioned seats!

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes NZDubNurd, Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    That car's not "loaded" -- it doesn't even have the air-conditioned seats!

-Uwe-
    Gosh, who peed in your Zwieback, Uwe?

It has 'em in front, where I sit, and the 4-seater would be nice, but not as practical. There aren't too many options in NAR, but it does have fully functional power trunk.

Now I respectfully request you go back to your penthouse cubicle and figure out how to close it with the fob or interior door switch.

-Tom

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I like it (other than the Yankees plate frame).

Just make sure to not anger your significant other, ok?

Also where's your AutoScan?

7. Likes Katie Ross, D-Dub, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well I like it (other than the Yankees plate frame).

Just make sure to not anger your significant other, ok?

Also where's your AutoScan?
    The Yankees frame is gonna go, I think, since the "Atomic Yankees" phase isn't working for me.
    I'm not a sticker kind of guy. In fact, I'm torn by the decision to debadge all but the rings. I think I'll photoshop them off and see how it looks.
    The vanity plate "A8L" isn't taken in TN believe it or not. I considered it but my wife made a good point in that it's redundant with the badges. I have a friend who just got "V10" on his M5. I also like A8TOMIC and A8SURD but I digress...

That pickaxe picture always skeeves me out, like some people's reaction to anatomy photos. I anger my SO daily, but she's a level-headed German who wouldn't deface the Mona Lisa - same concept.

Been trying to get the scan done for weeks but something always interferes. Wish I'd done a couple accel runs before I put the S8 exhaust on. Of course my mechanic scanned it during PPI but trying to get a copy is like pulling teeth...

9. Likes Andy, Uwe liked this post