S8 Driver Information (DIS) splash screen

949BFN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=117317
I messed around with the settings of my S8's instrument cluster (Note - I'm not referring to the MMI startup logo - google tells me that logo is changed via the green Hidden Menu).
Some time later, I realized the DIS is not showing the S8 logo on startup anymore, but the A8 logo.
I can't remember changing any setting which specifically referred to the splash/startup screen.
Although not logical, I suspect that the change was brought about by changing the Country Code of the Instrument.
So the question is, which of the settings changes the startup logo of the DIS? (I suppose I will have to play around with this setting once I know which one it is, until I find the correct logo. I'm afraid that's going to be a tedious process of trial and error, with changing the setting; turning the ignition Off and On again to check the effect of any changes as far as the startup logo is concerned.)

EDIT: I came across this on another forum:

1. STG 17 (Schalttafel) auswählen
  2. STG Lange Codierung -> Funktion 07
  3. Byte 9
  4. Wert entsprechend setzen

00 - A6 Startup screen
    01 - A7 Startup screen
    02 - S6 Startup screen
    03 - S7 Startup screen
    04 - RS6 Startup screen
    05 - RS7 Startup screen
    06 - S6 allroad Startup screen
    07 - S6 hybrid Startup screen
    08 - A6 Startup screen
    09 - A7 Startup screen
I'll check if the A8/S8 uses the same Byte and if so, I'll attempt to figure out which bit it should be for the S8 logo.

Last edited:

949BFN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=117317
It seems that the splash / startup screen is indeed determined by the setting of Byte 9 in Module 17. The drop down of Byte 9 provides a list of countries. As far as I could tell, changing the country setting only influences the splash screen which is displayed during startup.
While looking for the correct bit to set, I noticed that setting bit 2 (Great Britain - RHD) = the A8L splash screen. Bit 1 (Row, LHD) = S8 splash screen. (My vehicle is RHD) I've checked the result of the oldest scan of the vehicle I had done, and according to that, it came from the factory with bit 1 set (i.e. RoW - LHD, even though South African vehicles are RHD).
Could it be that the label file is wrong and that VCDS should rather provide a list of the different models (as apposed to a list of Countries)?

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Could it be that the label file is wrong and that VCDS should rather provide a list of the different models (as apposed to a list of Countries)?
Can't rule that out.

-Uwe-

Back