Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical technology - is society doomed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    The chemistry class I took a year early in 10th grade ('73-'74) was the last one where students were taught the use of slide rules. I'm reasonably confident Art is familiar with them as well.
    Familiar with what? The calculators used to send man to the moon?

For PetrolDave's amusement, I actually took it to a licensing test that I took last fall where it allowed calculators or slide rules. Got a perfect score...and some smiles from the old curmudgeons proctoring the exam when they actually saw me use it.....

2. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hell yes. I work with people who not only can't read a vernier caliper, their brain short circuits with a set of dial calipers. How F-ing hard is that?

They're the same people who flip out when they see a beam torque wrench, and insist that a $19 harbor freight clicker type is more accurate.

I never once saw a person forget to turn a beam torque wrench back to zero before putting it away.

4. Likes vreihen, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaps10 View Post
    I never once saw a person forget to turn a beam torque wrench back to zero before putting it away.
    My ex-brother did. He left my beam torque wrench set at about 25...using it as a 1/2" drive breaker bar.....

6. Likes Flaps10, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaps10 View Post
    Hell yes. I work with people who not only can't read a vernier caliper, their brain short circuits with a set of dial calipers. How F-ing hard is that?

They're the same people who flip out when they see a beam torque wrench, and insist that a $19 harbor freight clicker type is more accurate.

The world is full of them:

That's a $200K kit, and those straps on the right are holding a roll-stand with a $12K monitor on the top, in the back of our VW T5 which is taking it 2.5 hours North today including through a gorge which (last count) had 135 corners in 13 kilometres (8 miles). I'm sure the blue packing strap will take the weight... but I bet it doesn't stay in one place! I specced the van with all the factory tie-down fittings I could get... and we still get this!

I'm not sure how this guy survived past infancy, let alone making 50! This stuff is a CONSTANT struggle with this guy - I'd rather get my kids to do it.

8. Likes vreihen, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of medical technology and incompetence, I just came home from my primary care doctor's office. My doctor pitched a fit over the ER doctor's interpretation of my CT scan, and said that I should have been held there until another test was done because the CT scan showed a potential problem that anyone should have been able to spot! Long story short, I'm going back for a stat ultrasound tonight, and was told to expect to be admitted for surgery if the results are what my doctor suspects.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Familiar with what? The calculators used to send man to the moon?
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...t-to-the-moon/

I can answer that question. Our slide rules were better than theirs!!!!!

11. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    This stuff is a CONSTANT struggle with this guy - I'd rather get my kids to do it.
    Actually, now I think about it more, I think I might limit this guys scope of work. He seems to be adept (though s l o w) at removing "public hair"* from the wheels of the equipment!

* It's a public hospital, so the hair either belongs to staff or the public .

13. Likes vreihen, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Long story short, I'm going back for a stat ultrasound tonight, and was told to expect to be admitted for surgery if the results are what my doctor suspects.....
    It came back negative, so it's back to the diagnostic dice.

The ultrasound operator was actually competent and had a sense of humor. When I walked into the room with my wife a few steps behind, he told me to take off my shirt and lay on the bed. I jokingly said that my wife was going to have a problem with that, because she doesn't like sharing me with other men. As he was starting the test, I asked if he could snap some 5 x 7 glossies of my heart, so that I could show my co-workers that I have one. As he was moving the probe around my stomach, I grabbed my wife's hand and asked if it was going to be a boy or a girl. He said twins, one of each! A little bit later in the test, he joked that it may be triplets. He kept probing around beyond what he was supposed to scan, looking for what was wrong when my doctor's suspicion apparently came up negative. At the end of the test, he told me that hospital policy prevents him from discussing the results of the tests with me, but I could overhear everything that he told my doctor on the phone (couldn't find anything abnormal) before sending me home.....

15. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, jyoung8607 liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    couldn't find anything abnormal
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

17. Likes Uwe, vreihen, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My girlfriend went to the doctor last november because she'd had a cold that left her run down for several weeks (and I didn't get it).

blah, blah, they gave her an ultrasound. You're right, the tech won't say crap.

You'll know though because if the tech takes over an hour and takes 300 slides it isn't because they love their job so much. And when the doctor calls you personally the next day and says "can you come in right away?" it's further confirmation that it's not a normal outcome.

It was a tumor the size of an orange and it looked to be attached to her pancreas or liver. The CT scan didn't tell the surgeon enough more information, so they went in. On that day I was pretty sure she'd be dead by now. The tumor was attached to her liver so it turned out to be pretty easy to remove, and lab test showed it to not be cancerous.

She just went in two days ago to have another orange size knob removed from an ovary. Here's a 46 year old who has never smoked and hardly ever drinks.

It's frightening what goes on under the hood, even when you live right.

19. Likes Uwe, vreihen, NZDubNurd liked this post