Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical technology - is society doomed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    It also worth noting, that the small BP devices available at pharmacies, are usually wildly inaccurate, and shouldn't be used for diagnostic purposes!
    Funny thing is the home-grade one that I have *will* get a pulse lock and give repeatable/believable output about 50% of the time. It took me a few sets of batteries tinkering with ways to "trick" it from over-inflating, since it doesn't see my pulse on the inflate cycle and just keeps on pumping away until the blood flow is cut off for too long to read on the deflate cycle. Before I figured it out, it couldn't get a pulse lock at all.

These things have their place, but clearly on YOUR arm isn't one of them :-)
    I'm sure that Tim Cook would agree with that, since my fruit-watch reads my pulse at least 33% high compared with what the nurse is charting at the same exact time.

It DOES scare me that medical professionals may come to rely so heavily on technology, that they don't really keep their skills honed!

I wonder if you situation is related to legal issues and patient record storage etc?
    I can tell you I know for a fact that they leave college with RN degrees, BP cuffs, and stethoscopes...and training to use them. I think that the problem is that our hospitals are employing minimum wage "grunts" who went to tech school for 6 months to earn a certificate in thermometer and BP machine operation, so that they don't have to pay real nurses to do these tasks any more.

During my last hospital stay about 3 years ago, I was assigned an RN student from a nearby university to serve as her clinical patient for the day. Working under direct RN supervision, she had to take all my vitals every hour, chart everything (including urine output), and even consult with my doctor about my diagnosis and treatments. She had to interview me about my illness, family history, and other medical problems, and write a whole summary up for her clinical grade. She couldn't find my pulse by hand or with her stethoscope, and even the supervising RN had problems. My primary care doctor stopped in for a visit as this was happening, and gave them the "doctor's grade" stethoscope to use because obviously the nurse-grade ones were not up to the task. The student heard the pulse with the better tool, and my doctor had to explain that my heart function was so weak that even experienced medical people can't hear it at times.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    I bet the ER Art went to has manual backup instruments. But whether anyone there actually knows where they are or how to use them, well, that's another question.
    The (male) RN that I was dealing with said that they did not have any manual instruments in the ER when I specifically asked about them, and he worked there long enough where he should know where they store the un-used junk. The place was remodeled since my last visit, and all of the equipment in every treatment bay is the latest bling with no old junk mercury BP thingy hanging in the corner.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    The place was remodeled since my last visit, and all of the equipment in every treatment bay is the latest bling with no old junk mercury BP thingy hanging in the corner.....
    Well, the 20% of GDP that the US spends on "Health Care" had go SOMEWHERE, right?
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the 20% of GDP that the US spends on "Health Care" had go SOMEWHERE, right?
    Actually, Bill Kaplan (philanthropist and founder of the AC Moore Arts and Crafts store chain) wrote the check for the ER upgrades, since the hospital is not-for-profit. Next time that I bump into him on the philanthropy social events circuit, I'm going to suggest that he fund a separate gunshot trauma wing so the hospital doesn't have to lockdown the entire ER for Newburgh's daily shootings.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    the hospital is not-for-profit.
    "Not-for-profit" doesn't mean there aren't dozens of "administrators" pulling down 6-figure salaries, does it?
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes Jack@European_Parts, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The (male) RN that I was dealing with said that they did not have any manual instruments in the ER when I specifically asked about them, and he worked there long enough where he should know where they store the un-used junk. The place was remodeled since my last visit, and all of the equipment in every treatment bay is the latest bling with no old junk mercury BP thingy hanging in the corner.....
    vriehen: I couldn't agree more with your observations - worst aspect is the medical fraternity's unswerving belief in the infallibility of whatever these machines say. It's worse than any fundamentalist religious zealot - made truly remarkable by the fact that these are meant to be intelligent people!!

Anyhow, just to present another side of this equation, I thought that I would show you my standby alternative for those times when technology fails - which it does with monotonous regularity!!

I always have my trusty "Fuller's Calculator" handy anytime time that I plug-in the HEX NET cable (see below)

I suspect that you are far too young to remember the "Slide Ruler" (it's not your fault). I'm old enough to have used one in my undergrad course (it was more modern than the device in the picture). This is just a version of the same thing, but with an extremely long spiral scale - makes it very accurate for sensitive engineering calculations!

I think the juxtaposition of the Fuller Calculator and the HEX NET somehow work well together!!

Don

PS: I hope that your good health returns with a vengeance (and not just a whimper)
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

8. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The chemistry class I took a year early in 10th grade ('73-'74) was the last one where students were taught the use of slide rules. I'm reasonably confident Art is familiar with them as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only threw my slide rule into the trash last month, after using it for 42 years!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Not-for-profit" doesn't mean there aren't dozens of "administrators" pulling down 6-figure salaries, does it?
    Any IT person with 7+ years experience likely pulls 6 figures in major metro healthcare these days. I think it's many, many more dozens than you have in mind.

12. Likes Andy, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a website called Glassdoor that lets you look up salaries for many NFP companies:

https://www.glassdoor.com

For example:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Abi...ies-E17630.htm