Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Medical technology - is society doomed?

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    So this is why no steak tonight huh................
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    So this is why no steak tonight huh................
    Not at all. I went down to the place where someone I know has been permanently banned on Tuesday, for a plug-in session with their scan tool. Besides telling me that the logs were 100% clean since I left the hospital, they lowered the idle speed and actually cleared me again to drive...in writing...as long as it's not in competition.

Long story short, with the idle speed running 14% slower, the fuel economy has gone up significantly. Since dry weight is measured/reported every morning with a mandatory doctor's notification if it increases more than 0.14 stones in a day, I think that you can see why I'm skipping dinner for the next few days. I've got a lot of stones!!!!!

3. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like where this is going...

Back in November, I was somehow wrangled into a pilot test for a new mobile app being developed so that my home IV infusion company can better communicate with patients. After a few weeks, let's just say that I erased their product roadmap for them and started from scratch, but I digress since I didn't get a dime for the free consulting.

While going through the weekly code/function testing review with one of their developers, she asked me if my coverage was impacted by the 21st Century Cures Act? Insert tilt-head dog meme here. Off to Google...

TL;DR - Obama signed this turd bill into law back in December as a lame duck, and it went into effect almost immediately...with no advance warning to patients or doctors. It changed the back-end Medicare billing of the very treatment that I'm on, and eliminated Medicare reimbursement for a vital part of the actual home infusion treatment.

Back in January (coincidentally about the time that this law became effective), my co-pays for the 24/7 IV treatment went up from $25/week to $225/week. I found out in March, when the IV company hit me with a surprise bill for $1,250 in unpaid co-pays. I have been disputing it through several layers of bureaucracy with my health insurance carrier, and the outstanding balance right now is over $4,000 as they move at glacial speed to tell me why the price changed in January.

Long story short, I have an inquiry out to my employer's insurance broker to find out if our health insurance contract pricing is based on a "Medicare plus X%" model, since the increase and timing are timed suspiciously close to my billing increase. If I have to pay over a grand per month for treatment, I may very well have to return to the hospital and waste a sick person's bed because the treatment is covered 100% there. Like I said, I don't like where this is going.....

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/...nfusion-costs/

New Law Is Taking Life-Saving Medicine Infusions Away From Heart Failure Patients

March 27, 2017 6:02 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A recently-passed act of Congress may have the unintended effect of taking life-saving medication away from tens of thousands of heart failure patients.

The bill was meant to fund research into cures for cancer and other diseases.

As CBS2’s Dr. Max Gomez reported, the 21st Century Cures Act, passed with overwhelming bipartisan support and signed into law in December, was called an innovative game-changer for vital medical research.

But a provision to help pay for the bill by lowering drug costs has inadvertently put more than 300,000 lives at risk.

You wouldn’t know it by looking at her now, but just a short while ago, Mary Obuchowski not only could not walk – she was actually near death. She said she was repeatedly in and out of the hospital nearly every six weeks.

“I would pass out and fall on the floor and wake up, and that’s how I actually couldn’t breathe – just could not breathe at all; couldn’t get enough air,” Obuchowksi said.

Obuchowski is in what is called class 4 heart failure – her heart to weak or stiff to pump enough blood to keep her lungs and legs from filling with fluid.

“The oral medications are not enough to keep them out of the hospital; give them any quality of life,” said Dr. Robert Berkowitz of Hackensack University Medical Center. “If we just treat the symptoms, they won’t get better. There will be inexorable progression towards death.”

The only thing that keeps Obuchowski alive and relatively well is continuous, 24/7 infusions of specific heart medications that can only be given intravenously – with the aid of special pumps and with regular at-home monitoring by trained medical personnel.

But when the 21st Century Cures Act was signed into law in December, there contained a well-meaning provision to lower the costs of some chemotherapy and heart drugs like Obuchowski’s. But it has ended up meaning trouble.

“It cut the opportunity to provide infusion services at home to patients who need the drugs and could receive the therapy at home,” said Tyler Wilson, chief executive officer of the National Home Infusion Association. “The margin between the old price and the new price is what allowed the services to be provided.”

In other words, the higher prices allowed the specialty pharmacies that formulated the drugs also to provide at-home services that enable the continuous infusion essential for heart failure patients – infusion that have given Obuchowksi her life back.

“I go food shopping. I go to the Villa Roma resort… and saw the shows; was up 12 hours a day; don’t feel tired. It was unbelievable,” Obuchowski said. “I just can’t believe how my life absolutely turned around.”

Curiously, private insurance plans do reimburse for home infusion services. It is Medicare that does not cover the cost for the health care personnel that make at-home infusion possible.

Medicare will start reimbursing for that, but not until 2021 – so Congress is looking at ways to close that gap.

5. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.beckershospitalreview.com...hospitals.html

WannaCry attack infects Bayer medical devices in US hospitals

Written by Mackenzie Bean
    May 19, 2017

Bayer on Wednesday confirmed the worldwide ransomware attack, WannaCry, infected several of its medical devices used in U.S. hospitals, reports Forbes.

Here are five things to know.

1. An anonymous source sent Forbes an image of an infected device from an unspecified U.S. hospital. While the source did not specify which device model was hacked, it appears to be radiology equipment used to improve imaging for MRIs, according to the report. The device is manufactured by Medrad, which Bayer acquired in 2011.

2. A Bayer spokesperson told Forbes it received two reports from U.S. customers saying WannaCry infected their Bayer devices, although the company did not say which products were affected.

"Operations at both sites were restored within 24 hours," the spokesperson told Forbes. "If a hospital's network is compromised, this may affect Bayer's Windows-based devices connected to that network."

3. Beau Woods, deputy director of the Atlantic Council's Cyber Statecraft Initiative, said an infection on this type of equipment is not likely to threaten patient safety, as it would simply stop the scanning machines from working properly, according to the report.

4. Bayer plans to release a Microsoft patch for Windows-based devices "soon," the spokesperson told Forbes. In the meantime, the company recommends hospitals using Bayer radiology equipment work with their IT security teams and contact Bayer's technical assistance center to ensure the devices are safe and working properly, reports Forbes.

5. The infected devices represent the first known occurrence of ransomware directly influencing a medical device's operations, according to the report.

7. Likes Uwe liked this post