Thread: Can vcds program an ignition lock cylinder to my 07 jetta?

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Can vcds program an ignition lock cylinder to my 07 jetta?

the title says it all,
    my 07 jetta had the ignition lock cylinder go out and i can't turn the key, vw insists that i take it to the dealer to get a new one installed and reprogramed.
    Problem being i can not start the car to get it there nor can i afford the tow bill to have it delivered.

That being said this would actually be cheaper than the tow bill, so will vcds be able to let me reprogram a new ignition lock cylinder? or is it not able to do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Huh? I don't think there's anything to program. It's just a lock cylinder mechanism without any "intelligence".

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    i thought the same thing, maybe the immobilizer?
    sorry I'm not 100% sure.
    but maybe the dealer is trying to take me for a ride.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    On older cars, if you locked the steering wheel (too much side movement), you would have to put steering wheel movement back in to unlock the wheel while turning the key.

I don't think your modern car is like that but just sharing a cp10 EEVEE story

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon112 View Post
    i thought the same thing, maybe the immobilizer?
    sorry I'm not 100% sure.
    but maybe the dealer is trying to take me for a ride.
    I am not 100% sure either, but about 99.95%...

On car, the only immobilizer-related part at the ignition switch is the pickup coil, and that's a passive device with no intelligence to be programmed.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced the ignition lock cylinder in my gti with no need for immo programming. I doubt the 07 jetta will be any different than my 08 GTI.

I used this video: https://youtu.be/5Bl3mdzLaYc?t=1m10s

You have to remove the trim around the steering wheel to get access to the pin hole. You can do it without removing the steering wheel. Turn to the left and to the right to get access to the screws. While your in there, you might as well replace the ignition switch too.

This page has lots of info:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/ig...n-vw-and-audi/

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No programming needed. Crazy VW dealer trying to make money?

But you will need to try to find a way to remove the shear-bolts. And don't try any funny business with steering column lock while lock cylinder is removed. It will lock itself in no-way back state and you'll need new one.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

9. Likes Uwe, Santos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Answer is Yes and No.
    In this situation like OP has ( can not turn key any more) What most VW Dealers at service department will do , they will order plain Tumbler with new keys and new cylinder lock.
    In this case YES you have to program keys bacuse they are new keys , and you will have Miss match keys for ignition and door lock.

But if they order by VIN number tumbler , then programing is not needed. But most VW Dealers at Service department ,do not want to do this because it takes 10-15 days to get tumbler match car lock.They do not want to wait that long and have car in them lot for such a small job .
    Master Technician for German cars
    Immobilizer/ECU
    /Cluster Programing (Used or NEW) and Key Programing
    Mk6 COLOR cluster in Mk5 -CLIK

email : marinmm2001@gmail.com

11. Likes Uwe liked this post