How to properly view/setup a 1.8T cam chain with adjuster before installing a bellt!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
How to properly view and setup a 1.8T cam chain with adjuster before installing a belt.

The RT wiki, and ref pictures, are as misleading as the incorrect information in the repair manuals.

The exhaust cam should appear as if slightly retarded in the relaxed position of the adjuster.
The notch should not line up yet , however the intake cam will be dead on in the 12 O'clock notch position during setup.

You may ask why is this?

The cam timing is advanced when the belt is on & when no oil PSI is present at the adjuster.
Oil PSI is used to retard the timing once in operation, and once the PSI is achieved.
Hence why if an oil sump is plugged with sludge you get an over advanced G40 DTC.
The timing starts at the full advanced position, to aid in cold starts, & is achieved via the tensioner springs within adjuster.

When oil PSI is made during engine operation, to the base of the adjuster, the notch's than move into alignment of 12 O'clock.
The factory repair manual has always done a very poor job of explaining this, & further uses pictures that are misleading.

Please note:
This thread is not an Infomercial to solicit any parts or business with anyone! :thumbs:
The proof is in the proof..........

Cam_timing_for_Bob.png

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Part 2

Why we read the WD when we have a problem with a respective sensor.

In this case G40

G40 DTC.......... only G40 has already been changed and all timing marks verified.........

The_BOB_G40.png

What happens......people take the engine part mechanically, because they fail to observe the shared tracks.
Further they make the mistake in the aforementioned post and create a compounded problem.

A G40 fails and rubs the reluctor within the sensor and wires get shorted......substandard AFT China part or faulty installation etc..
Only use OEM on these two sensors or real verifiable Bosch.

This causes an instant damage to the G31 & on many occasions if 2004.5> AWP later map sensor it seems.

This condition can damage the controller instantly! and by installing another controller due to MAP being messed up or harness magic melt .......... wipes it again!

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Special Olympics version for the complete idiot guideline to correlating a KEY-WAY!

Especially for the ones that think they need to disassemble an entire engine to determine it.

You have heard me speak of algorithmic cross checks for diagnostic stacks........... now get ready to go back for mechanical ones for BASICS!

Oh boy do some people need this! :banghead:

Keyway_checks_1_8_T.png

Step 1 Plug hole in your head.
Step 2 Set crank to TDC on cam verifying the notch on harmonic at position of plastic or metal cover.
Step 3 Cross check it to flywheel location notch of TDC.....If it matches the keys are good!
Step 4 Now that cam gear and crank is authenticated & in less than 1 minute......remove the VC, & see that you are dead on 12 O'clock for the exhaust cam notch.

Total flat-rate permitted for G,J,TT,A4,Passat.... .25 for the idiot! If the Crummy Beetle .50

NostraJackAss has Spoken!

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
You know the incompetence of this industry is really wearing on me.

I started this thread due to this situation I have seen, however, the story gets better.

I sold a new ECU with brand new harness to a customer which included new ECT, IAT, and MAP + engine speed at really reasonable price.
All genuine.........right from the dealer and I test ran it before shipping.

I did this because the harness sent in and ECU which was damaged + the problem I aforementioned.

This guy didn't need a belt or keyways or an adjuster.

The shop installed his cams wrong on top of not fixing the aforementioned problem I stated.

The guy pulls the car, and goes to another shop that can time the car....OK now it's timed.

The prior shop removed or damaged the VSS G22 and maybe even new G28, the new shop has stated to the customer that if he replaces the ECU it will solve the G22 & G28 sporadic speedometer problem.

Now keep in mind the G22 is direct to ground, power and the speedometer directly........but the shop wants the customer to consider an ECU or to put his old ECU in.
This sets the stage for a replacement..........screw that I'm going to offer to swap out under warranty anyway just to call this guy out.

Bob_VSS_G22.png

Last edited:

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Is this picture missing? Correct if I made a mistake, please.

ZNnOS3P.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah Boki AR weird how the images just vanish.......

That picture is worth its weight in gold though.

I can't count the emails and phone calls I have received for this stupid mistake with this solution results in thanks, very experienced shops too!

WTF are you supposed to do when the book is printed wrong almost on purpose and the OEM tells the techs internally, but not the rest of industry......isn't that fraud and induced liability?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well....after the old provider took the money and vacated, I don't very much have much faith in the process.

Back